Calling all f100/f250 Prerunners

Questions about 4WDs and related topics

Moderators: FORDification, Doug Comer

Tycho

Re: Calling all f100/f250 Prerunners

Post by Tycho »

Thunderfoot wrote: Not sure where you're at but you are a LOT closer then my buddy here in Idaho is and that is where he had his Trophy Truck built at. :lol: :thup:
True, but they don't do small time stuff like I'm looking for.
1972 2WD 351 Windsor F-100 - WIP
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

Truck has a new home. Long ago I worked for a family friend in his garage for a summer job when I was young (not unlike you Ryan) and so I remembered what a wizard he is with older vehicles. I had him recommend to me a towing company, and the guy they sent was top notch. He had a brand new F650 work rig with a flatbed that could have launched my truck into orbit if it wanted to. We had it on the truck and out of dodge in under 5 minutes.

The good:
- They know how (or at least felt comfortable with) attempting the 64" chevy swap for me
- Have a guy who can rebuild ford 9s blindfolded
- Shop is within a mile of both a great audio shop, and a paint/body shop
- I can get collectors insurance for the truck and save big time while still keeping it road legal
- A guy at the shop I took it to knows Prerunners, and will be hooking me up with some good builders

The bad:
- don't know the extent of the problems yet
- going to need to put an exhaust on it and pass a sniffer test to get it registered (or collectors insurance makes it exempt)
- truck is in a million pieces. All the trim, LMC stuff etc... needs to be put on which leads us to...

The ugly:
- going to be expensive!!!! :help:

Got a recommendation for these guys (B&A) on Dezert Rangers. I don't know 100% if that's their factory truck, but it's encouraging. Their website makes it sound like they only do rails and UTV.
1971ford
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1971ford »

I'm glad to see you are finding some potential shops and the truck is getting some work done :thup:
I don't know anything about Arizona shops so i can't be of much help but I'm looking forward to see some updates
-Ryan
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

1971ford wrote:I'm glad to see you are finding some potential shops and the truck is getting some work done :thup:
I don't know anything about Arizona shops so i can't be of much help but I'm looking forward to see some updates
For the autofab kit what size shocks should I buy, roughly? And what type? How much travel will I get out of it?
1971ford
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1971ford »

A buddy told me about this deal and i thought of the perfect guy that could use it :D
However it is in So-cal so it would be a bit of a drive. Just thought i would pass it on.
It is a full cage for a '73-79, i love the layout of it. Were not totally sure if it includes the cab cage though, but it's atleast a full bedcage.
This is the myspace of the guy that is selling it. If you don't have a myspace and you are intersted in a price or whatever, i can get his email for you.
http://www.myspace.com/182388307
PM me your email and I'll forward all the pics if you're interested.

Anyways...
Is the autofab kit you are looking at getting, the 5" one? http://www.autofab.com/5lift.htm
I'm not totally sure what shocks you would be able to run with the autofab kit. You are best off asking John what he suggests, that will definately be your best bet. But basically the things you need to consider are the size of the shocks (2.0, 2.5, 3.0 , 3.5..) regarding how the heat up from weight/use, how long the stroke is (12",14",16"..) so you use all your available travel, and what kind of shock (smooth body, resevoir, bypass, ...).
John will know but i am guessing you will run something like a 2.5" (a 2.0 wouldn't be enough for all the weight, and anything bigger won't fit in the stock bucket i don't think), 14" stroke (Just a guess, It really depends how much travel you get with the kit), resevoir shock. You could go bypass but it isn't really needed. A smooth body, simple shock with resevoir will be perfect.
Looking at the 5" lift details it says that with the adjustable drag link it should get a successfull 16" of travel. That is a lot for coil springs. So that means you probably would run about a 14" stroke shock.
-Ryan
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

1971ford wrote: PM me your email and I'll forward all the pics if you're interested.
PMd
1971ford wrote: Looking at the 5" lift details it says that with the adjustable drag link it should get a successfull 16" of travel. That is a lot for coil springs. So that means you probably would run about a 14" stroke shock.
16 doesn't seem like a whole lot. Is there another, better way? Even if it's slightly more expensive
1971ford
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1971ford »

16 is great for coils, i think if you want to go any more than that you want more than that you will need to start looking into an engine cage, coilovers, bent/extended beams, etc.
If you find a cab shop capable of good cage work, as about an engine cage and coilover mounting. You'll have to have a fairly strong engine cage with removable cross over, tabs welded to i-beams strong enough for coilover mounting, most likely you will want to extend your beams, and you bend them. You can do that like how i did mine, pie cutting them with a torch and welder.
That's the next step though, and that is how the trophy trucks run their front end, coilovers (they run bypasses as well but that isn't necesary)..
-Ryan
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

I see.

Bedcage looks like it was made for a shortbed... with glass no less because I'm pretty sure I can't fit 33s 2 wide in the back.
1971ford
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1971ford »

Oh yeah you're right, i forgot about us having super cooler long beds :D
-Ryan
1971ford
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1971ford »

BUMP where's the updates! :D
-Ryan
theskytoucher
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by theskytoucher »

i just got my truck and i havent really got to work on it yet and i cant get o good pic of it where it is sitting. I do almost have it running the little time i have had to work on it. Lots of plans for it but no money to complete any of them!
-Troy-

1996 Dodge ram 1500 4x4
1976 Ford F-150 4x4

Quando Omni Flunkus Mortadi
When all else Fails Play Dead
carpenter547

Post by carpenter547 »

hi i have actually read this thread all the way through :) however i have one question. how much do the fenders cost? i know our patron saint of prerunners got his gratis how ever i know some of you have priced them recently. i am just asking what the going rates were so i know if i should bust out the welder or not :) thanks.
"It's ONLY METAL "......you can cut it weld it grind it....oops weld it again grind it again.....finely file to fit.........and paint to match. :lol: I say go for it!
No guts no glory - eggman918
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

carpenter547 wrote:hi i have actually read this thread all the way through :) however i have one question. how much do the fenders cost? i know our patron saint of prerunners got his gratis how ever i know some of you have priced them recently. i am just asking what the going rates were so i know if i should bust out the welder or not :) thanks.
Flared Fenders (the brand) makes a front clip (Fenders, Hood and Cowls) for $1200ish
Dixon Bros is coming out with bedsides and fenders, should be around 300-400
Autofab makes some and I'm going to assume they are around 500 for the pair

They still haven't finished my truck. I'm going to call and ask them to just make a simple cut to clear the 33s and be done with it.
Manny
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Manny »

Sweet guys you are buildingsome great rigs. These are neat to see and awesome to see some two by rigs. People so underestimate the thought and time that is in these rigs. SO when you guys gonna do the 1000. Gotta 67' high boy i'll chase with. Heck the moss brothers dominate class 3 with the bronco. Now need to get a bump to dominate the well got to show my tardness what class is it your rigs would run in????
Just another Ford fool named Dan.
The Junk that hangs around
67' F-250 highboy Camper special cross breed currently under way
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=86706
1974 Bronco 302 3 speed
1984 bronco 302 c6 35's
1994 F350 7.3 5spd dually.
woods wrote: The rust holes in my truck were a factory install (very rare).
1971ford
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1971ford »

Manny wrote:Sweet guys you are buildingsome great rigs. These are neat to see and awesome to see some two by rigs. People so underestimate the thought and time that is in these rigs. SO when you guys gonna do the 1000. Gotta 67' high boy i'll chase with. Heck the moss brothers dominate class 3 with the bronco. Now need to get a bump to dominate the well got to show my tardness what class is it your rigs would run in????
Someday! We will be doing Baja once i get the money to do so. With a truck like mine it would be Class 8. Problem with that is that there are some edge of the rules class 8 trucks that are darn near trophy trucks :eek:

FUnny you mention the Moss brothers. I'm buddies with Don Moss. He lives by me and my brother is building a class 3. It's pretty cool, Don works out of his garage on the thing! You would think a class 3 champion would have a shop but he's in his garage wrenching away. super cool guys!
-Ryan