Upgrading to side moulding/trim

Moderator: FORDification

dcbullet
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Upgrading to side moulding/trim

Post by dcbullet »

Is it possible and has anyone upgraded a truck that didn't have side trim to one that did? I like the look of the two tone paint jobs with the trim going down the side of the truck.

I've looked in the DC catalog and it looks like the clips bolt through the body? So one would need to drill all those holes in the correct location right?

Thanks in advance.
OldBlue67
Preferred User
Preferred User

re: Upgrading to side moulding/trim

Post by OldBlue67 »

As far as I can tell that should be all there is to it. Depending on which type of trim/ year it is, they mount slightly different, but it will need holes drilled for whatever type you use.
~Liz
Old Blue Truck is Old and Blue
Ugly as sin but dont get in my way VA-ROOOOOOMMMMM!! :evil: :evil:
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

Yep, that's it...just a matter of drilling the holes. The clips are normally then riveted on.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
bluef250
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by bluef250 »

Here's a trick to avoid using the plastic clips, by the way this is not my idea. Use 18 gauge or 20 gauge stainless steel, measure the inside rails of the molding. Cut a piece or pieces of sheet stainless a little larger than molding. Get some stainless steel bolts 1/4 20, drill a hole in your stainless pieces and tack weld bolts to the stainless pieces, and your are set to install. Should last forever, no riveting, no staining, and no breaking fragile clips. Also should be easy to remove. I would use stainless burrs and a rubber washer on the back side.
Joe Kriston
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Joe Kriston »

If you use original moulding clips,they don't have to be presisely located from side to side as the moulding slides on the clips and there will be some margin for error...The end pieces for the bed sides are a little different,though,and are bolted from inside the bed...
This is the point...I'm....talking about everybody! I'm talking about form! I'm talking about content! I'm talking about interrelationships! I'm talking about God, the devil, hell, heaven!!!! Do you understand???? Finally!!!!