Has anyone warped aluminum heads on a FE?

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

mrtleavitt
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Has anyone warped aluminum heads on a FE?

Post by mrtleavitt »

I was wondering how aluminum heads hold up on a FE. Has anyone had any problems with them warping? I'm wanting to build a 428 with 500+ horse power and wondering if I can stay with the iron block or if I would have to use an aftermarket aluminum block. My buddy has a camaro and says if his 350 is ran hard for a while the aluminum heads warp, I guess that is a big problem with those in the camaros. I'm pretty rough on engines so I'm worried about the aluminum against the iron. I know a lot of people push a lot of horses out of these engines, but do they last is my queston.
convincor
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

re: Has anyone warped aluminum heads on a FE?

Post by convincor »

There's no reason for a head to warp unless the engines overheated.
I'd stick with a iron block and run aluminum heads unless you want to spend the $5000 for an aluminum Geneses or Pond block.
Tough to run anything above 9-9½-1 compression with the gas these day's. I'm running 10½ on pump fuel without any problem with aluminum heads.
As for the heads warping on the camaro, guess that's a chebby thing. :lol: I know plenty of guy running aluminum heads on FE's as well as 460's and small block Fords without any problems.
68 Custom Cab Shorty, 390, C6, 9"-3.50:1 Currie T/L
"Still Plays With Trucks"
http://s101.photobucket.com/albums/m41/convincor/F100/
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

NASCAR engines run 8-9 thousand RPM's for 500+ miles on aluminum heads without warpage.
flatblack

Post by flatblack »

BobbyFord wrote:NASCAR engines run 8-9 thousand RPM's for 500+ miles on aluminum heads without warpage.
i thought they rebuilt those engines after every race??
Nitrous is like a hot girl with std's... you know you want to hit it but your afraid of the consequences
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

flatblack wrote:
BobbyFord wrote:NASCAR engines run 8-9 thousand RPM's for 500+ miles on aluminum heads without warpage.
i thought they rebuilt those engines after every race??
They do, but if they can withstand those RPM's for 500 miles, with aluminum heads, a street-driven vehicle should have no problem. :)
My427stang
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: Has anyone warped aluminum heads on a FE?

Post by My427stang »

No issues at all.

The days of alum head warpage are WAY gone by, like 60's and 70's

If you can afford a set of Edelbrocks, do it, you wont regret it
71 F-100 SB 4x4, 461 FE, Edelbrock Pro-flo 4, 4 speed, 4 inch softride lift, all poly bushings, integral PS, most mods installed since the 80's
70 Mustang Sportsroof 489 FE, EFI, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11s
Engine building by-appointment only--30+ years, specializing in strong street pump gas FEs
Jake11
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Re: Has anyone warped aluminum heads on a FE?

Post by Jake11 »

The reason your buddies heads warped? He got the motor past 250deg. Then the heads warp, gasket blows out
coolant gets in the oil berings ruined. Thats why they have "temp guages" on the dash. Oh I might as well tell you
they crack too. Usually across the exhaust seats.