Horn

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

tyler67f100

Horn

Post by tyler67f100 »

on my 67 I have the original horns, but neither work, they have been tested and work. The wires are shot to hell and I can't seem to figure out where to start on rewiring them
Lee

Re: Horn

Post by Lee »

double post,... sorry
Last edited by Lee on Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lee

Post by Lee »

Hi,

The horns are wired from the "horn relay" which is mounted on the passenger side fender well right next to the Starter relay. Verify this wire is intact.

Do you have a multi-meter? If not, this is a good time to buy one as they are not expensive and are an invaluable tool for trouble-shooting electrical issues.

Horn circuit: When you push the horn button (or Ring) on the steering wheel depending on yer application, a ground signal to sent from the button/ring to a contact brush just under the rotating steering wheel in the steering coluum. The ground is then send out of the cab in part of the wire harness to the horn relay. This will cause the horn relay to energize and send 12v to each horn.

Since you have verified that the horns themselves work, I would check the horn relay. Sometimes you can hear the relay "click" when someone pushes the horn button/ring.

Sometimes the brush in the column wears out. This requires removing the steering wheel with a "puller". With the wheel off you will see the brush contact at the 2 o'clock position. If you take a piece of wire and ground out this contact to the steering wheel shaft the horn should sound.

Let us know what you find,
Lee
tyler67f100

Post by tyler67f100 »

Awesome! I will check as soon as I get home today, sorry I did not see the response until now!
DisneysPatB
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by DisneysPatB »

It sounds like your whole wiring system is a complete basket case. My suggestion is replace it all. Start new and fresh. Great way to learn the electrical system. I did.
1970 F250 460 C6 - Project - Currently not running.
1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4 x 4 5.9 Magnum -not running.
1999 Toyota Corolla - Daily Driver.

https://fordification.com/forum/app.php ... y/album/43
Ohiotinkerer
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Ohiotinkerer »

If you pull the steering wheel be advised there are 2 contacts - one in the wheel itself under the horn ring and one under the wheel in the column.........I took mine apart to change over to P/S and when I put it back together my horn wouldn't work.........untll I discovered the one in the steering wheel fell out because I didn't know it had one......... :x
"Life is a garden - dig it"........... :thup:

1968 F100 2wd - Rangoon Red - 360 w/T18 - power steering and brakes
1997 Honda CBR 900RR
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

"DisneysPatB"]It sounds like your whole wiring system is a complete basket case. My suggestion is replace it all. Start new and fresh. Great way to learn the electrical system. I did.

I resemble-I mean resent-I mean yeah it's probable LOL!

Good troubleshooting Lee. :thup:
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
tyler67f100

Post by tyler67f100 »

The attachment is what I believe is the relay, the wires coming out that attaches to the top horn is frayed and a pic is also attached
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lee

Post by Lee »

Hi,

The item with the heavy red wire is the Starter Relay. The little metal can (below the Starter Relay in the picture) is the horn relay.

Definitely need to fix the frayed wire.

Lee
tyler67f100

Post by tyler67f100 »

Sorry they turned out sideways, but the frayed wire was from a plug to the top horn. There was green and yellow, and the green was long gone. Can't thank you enough for the help
tyler67f100

Post by tyler67f100 »

When I add a direct line from the battery to the horn, it works. So the box below the top horn is the relay box? It has a plug into it as well. The horn from the steering wheel is not pressing in. There is not a spring there or anything. Any ideas on that too?
Ohiotinkerer
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Ohiotinkerer »

The little square box in in front of the starter relay in your first photo is the horn relay - it should have a black connector with 3 slots in it. The box under the horn is your voltage regulator. It sounds like maybe you are missing some pieces under the horn button - it should have a spring and a contact brush under it. If I can get my PC to cooperate (no guarantees) I will post a photo later today of my wheel with the parts it should have - I've got it off and prepped for paint so it will be easy for me to show you!

1997 Honda CBR 900RR
tyler67f100

Post by tyler67f100 »

This is how it looks so I think I am missing something now hahaha
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lee

Post by Lee »

Good Morn'un,

You will need to remove the large nut that is in the center of the steering wheel,... then with a "puller" you need to remove the steering wheel. The "brush" and spring for the horn are located under the steering wheel.
Ohiotinkerer
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Ohiotinkerer »

Sorry I took is long - things were being a uncooperative..... :cuss:

These are the 2 pieces that go under the horn button - spring and contact brush......
IMG_20171219_123117_hdr.jpg

Here's how it goes together in the wheel......where my finger is is where the contact brush goes......
IMG_20171219_123313_hdr.jpg
If you pull the wheel off the column there is another contact brush under it - probably should check it to make sure it isn't broke or wore out.......

Hope this helps!.....

1997 Honda CBR 900RR