Engine sputtered, blew white smoke, and stalled.

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

LGreen72F

Engine sputtered, blew white smoke, and stalled.

Post by LGreen72F »

Hello all, as the subject says, my engine basically sputtered, blew white smoke out the tailpipes, and stalled. It is a 1972 F-250 with a 360 FE. I have been driving this truck as a daily for about 2 years now and everything has been running "relatively" alright so far. Only about 2 hours ago I was letting the truck warm up before I drove it and it was running smooth and fine and usual. However, all of a sudden it started sputtering and blew white smoke out the tailpipes and stalled. It also seemed to have spewed some liquid out of the tailpipes when this happened. Upon trying to restart the engine, it fired up but made a very loud clicking or pinging noise, blew a LOT of white smoke out the tailpipes, and died again. As I opened the hood to inspect the engine, I could hear fluid constantly pouring inside the engine, like a light stream of water from a faucet. I checked the radiator, and all of the coolant that was visible before was gone. I checked the oil and it did not have any discoloration, but was very high up on the dipstick. The truck was not warmed up at all, and had only been running for about 30 seconds, so I doubt it could have been an overheating problem, and the engine has NEVER had an overheating problem before. Only thing I have done recently to the truck was about 7 months ago I replaced the intake manifold with an edelbrock aluminum intake with a new carb, and have been running it daily ever since. My thoughts were blown intake gasket, blown head gasket, or maybe a broken block or piston, however i'm not completely sure. I will be towing it to the mechanic in the next few days, but until then, any ideas or suggestions as to what may be the problem and what may have caused it? Thanks!
ButtaBean

Re: Engine sputtered, blew white smoke, and stalled.

Post by ButtaBean »

Pull the oil plug. Bet there is coolant in the bottom of the pan.
tsherry
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by tsherry »

And pull the spark plugs. If you have a remote starter switch, you could crank it over with plugs removed and see if you're ejecting coolant from one of the cylinders. It probably blew a gasket and you might have hydro locked a cylinder.

In any regard, this will not be an inexpensive proposition.
too many Fords, no where near 'nuff time.

or, money.
Ohiotinkerer
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Ohiotinkerer »

:yt:

Everything you described points to blown head gasket - all the same symptoms I had on a 74 Buick Regal I drove when I was stationed at Ft Gordon GA.........not a bad job to do just takes $$$$$......... :eek:
"Life is a garden - dig it"........... :thup:

1968 F100 2wd - Rangoon Red - 360 w/T18 - power steering and brakes
1997 Honda CBR 900RR
tnlprt
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by tnlprt »

I would lay money on the fact that you probably used printoseal intake gaskets

In the FE world they are called LEAK O SEAL gaskets ...they do not like antifreeze
Jacksdad
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Jacksdad »

:yt:

I agree. Head gasket more than likely. If you have time before it's towed, partially drain the oil. I'm betting coolant will be the first thing you see.
1971 DRW F350 cab and chassis with an Open Road motorhome conversion, Dana 70, 352 (originally 390)/C6, PS, power front discs, and 159" w/b.
LGreen72F

Post by LGreen72F »

Dang. Well it could be worse I suppose. I can't drain the oil at the moment due to the fact it happened to break down at work before I left, so it is stuck in the parking lot. However, if it IS a blown head gasket, would it be more worth it to replace the gasket(s) or just get a rebuilt engine? The engine has 170k miles on it and was planning on rebuilding it/replacing it eventually. Not sure if it's worth the money to fix the head gaskets on a worn out engine like this. Ideas?
Jacksdad
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Jacksdad »

Just be aware that the shop you take it to might be reluctant to go the cheap route. They'll be thinking liability if the bottom end goes bad, and many shops will just be looking for extra work.
If it was me and it ran okay before, I'd change out the head gasket. The hardest part (except maybe the exhaust manifold bolts fighting you) would be the weight of the intake, and you already took care of that by fitting the Eddy.
Did you have any other issues with it before this happened? If not, just fix the head gasket and put the money toward parts for a future rebuild.
1971 DRW F350 cab and chassis with an Open Road motorhome conversion, Dana 70, 352 (originally 390)/C6, PS, power front discs, and 159" w/b.
LGreen72F

Post by LGreen72F »

I had already redone the exhaust about a year ago and redid the bolts, so they shouldn't be any trouble. The thing that concerns me most about replacing the head-gasket is that I had a friend with a '70 f-250 with the same motor. He had to take his heads off and take them in to get milled and fixed for some reason or another. In the process, he had broken all the head bolts and had to have stuff machined and re-threaded and all that. I had this experience when taking the exhaust off, which sat for at least 15 years, and broke half of the bolts. Not sure If I feel like rebuilding my threads haha :lol:
Manny
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Manny »

LGreen72F wrote:I had already redone the exhaust about a year ago and redid the bolts, so they shouldn't be any trouble. The thing that concerns me most about replacing the head-gasket is that I had a friend with a '70 f-250 with the same motor. He had to take his heads off and take them in to get milled and fixed for some reason or another. In the process, he had broken all the head bolts and had to have stuff machined and re-threaded and all that. I had this experience when taking the exhaust off, which sat for at least 15 years, and broke half of the bolts. Not sure If I feel like rebuilding my threads haha :lol:
You shouldn't have a problem getting the heads off if the exhaust is fixed up right. :thup:
Just another Ford fool named Dan.
The Junk that hangs around
67' F-250 highboy Camper special cross breed currently under way
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=86706
1974 Bronco 302 3 speed
1984 bronco 302 c6 35's
1994 F350 7.3 5spd dually.
woods wrote: The rust holes in my truck were a factory install (very rare).
cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by cep62 »

If you recently changed the intake ,I'd look at those gaskets closely before pulling the heads.

Then change your oil , antifreeze in the bearings is not a good thing.
tnlprt
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by tnlprt »

If the intake gaskets are leaking you will also have water in the oil

I still lay odds that you have an intake gasket leaking

You keep saying that water is coming from the tail pipes ..I am assuming you have dual exhaust .....Rarely would you blow both head gaskets at the same time and have water coming from both tailpipes unless it is the intake gasket that died

35 bucks and 4 hours
LGreen72F

Post by LGreen72F »

tnlprt wrote:If the intake gaskets are leaking you will also have water in the oil

You keep saying that water is coming from the tail pipes ..I am assuming you have dual exhaust .....Rarely would you blow both head gaskets at the same time and have water coming from both tailpipes unless it is the intake gasket that died

35 bucks and 4 hours
Well, yes and no. The problem is I had a quick exhaust job done due to the exhaust system rotting away and leaking in numerous places, and it has "fake" dual exhaust. A Y-pipe leaves the manifolds and joins into one pipe, then splits again after the muffler.
tnlprt
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by tnlprt »

Pull your spark plugs

The steam cleaned ones will show where the water is going
Manny
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Manny »

LGreen72F wrote:
tnlprt wrote:If the intake gaskets are leaking you will also have water in the oil

35 bucks and 4 hours
Well, yes and no. The problem is I had a quick exhaust job done due to the exhaust system rotting away and leaking in numerous places, and it has "fake" dual exhaust. A Y-pipe leaves the manifolds and joins into one pipe, then splits again after the muffler.
You pulled the pan plug yet see if there is water at the bottom. Plugs? just curious!! :thup:
Just another Ford fool named Dan.
The Junk that hangs around
67' F-250 highboy Camper special cross breed currently under way
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=86706
1974 Bronco 302 3 speed
1984 bronco 302 c6 35's
1994 F350 7.3 5spd dually.
woods wrote: The rust holes in my truck were a factory install (very rare).