Burl wood vinyl on XLT Door panel

Inside the cab...appearance, repair, upgrades

Moderator: FORDification

MikeB

Burl wood vinyl on XLT Door panel

Post by MikeB »

Has anyone replaced the burl vinyl on the door panel. Mine is a 72 so it’s the smaller 8”x11” panel. I tried a decal co and they came close but material was thin and had a glossy finish. It was the best they could do. May still use them if I can’t find better.
Decal is on the right.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1972 F250 4x4 XLT stock but P.O. hacked
2010 F350 CC LB 4x4 stock
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Burl wood vinyl on XLT Door panel

Post by sargentrs »

Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
Bullitt74
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Bullitt74 »

Hi Mike,

I think I saw your posts on the FTE forum as well. The burl patterns from 3M Di Noc are limited to the 'bubinga' gloss and the 'bird's eye maple' gloss patterns. You're right...probably a bit too glossy, and not great matches. I checked out the Vvivid products, and they don't have a burl pattern at all.

However, I bought the 70-72 Ranger dash bezel, and the material Dennis Carpenter is using is spot on...the same color and matte finish as the marine teak, but a burl pattern.

When I was researching tailgate vinyl material I tried to get out of them what product they were using about a year ago, and they didn't give up that information. Maybe someone with more 'pull' can talk to the right person at the company? Maybe they are hesitant to give up trade secrets, but I feel that if we could talk to the right person...

I would really like to air out the product with the best possible match, as I eventually want to redo my dash trim. I really like this forum for adding to the collective body of knowledge around these old girls!
Steve F.
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
'72 Ranger XLT, 4x2, 390-2V, C6, Wind blue & Wimbledon White (‘Smokey’)
8)
2016 F150 Lariat FX4 Supercrew, Ruby Red
Follow my build thread for 'Smokey': http://fordification.com/forum/viewtopi ... 22&t=85070
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Hi Steve

I also asked for a piece of the material from them trying the ole “I’d like to buy the side trim but afraid it won’t match the rear panel” plore. Now I know why they didn’t bite...to many others before me have tried. :)

Yeah I had ordered a sample of the Metro babinga and it was VERY glossy.

The burl interior is the tough one. I’m going to buy the new bezel from DC as well. For the doors I think the vinyl decal approach is going to work for me. I just need to find someone else that can also use a photo but transfer it onto DI-noc level material with a satin or flat sheen. The quality of print these days is very good. I was actually surprised. That being said, the original material (door panels) has a slight dimensional grain to it. When I actually put the decal over it I was surprised at how good it looked and because of its thin material was able to transfer some of that grain. I think it would look really good if I could get it in a satin or even better, a flat sheen. The one I did was a practice piece that actually impressed me.

Have put the DC side molding woodgrain up against the marine teak?

Does the burl on the bezel have the dimensional texture as that on the doors?
Bullitt74
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Bullitt74 »

I may have found a solution - I did some research on the 3M site, as they produce 590 woodgrain patterns for DI-NOC. I found a burl similar to the 'babinga', but 3M calls 'cherry' and labels it as matte finish - WG-364. The Babinga glossy is WG-364GN. I found one vendor who carries this product, and will send out samples as well:

https://www.rmwrapsstore.com/collection ... l-rm-wraps

I can't order a sample, because they won't ship to Canada - it may be worthwhile to order a sample and see what turns up. Hopefully it won't be the glossy product.
Steve F.
8)
Follow my build thread for 'Smokey': http://fordification.com/forum/viewtopi ... 22&t=85070
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

I’ve been in contact with Randy Miller who I think is the owner of that business. The 364 is not good for me due to reddish color and the burls a little different. Anyway he said they get their photos from Adobe Stock and sent me what he thought was close. I found one that would work but it appears to be too reddish as well. I sent him an email asking if he can adjust the hue/color of the images and what would it cost to get the license and have them print. He said he could change the hue. I’ll let you know how that goes. I’ve ordered the new bezel from DC so I can compare it to what’s available in adobe stock. My door panels may be faded or discolored so I’ll go off the new DC material instead.

You can cruise the adobe stock as well. This is a good selection here
https://stock.adobe.com/search?similar_ ... url=detail
Bullitt74
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Bullitt74 »

MikeB wrote:I’ve been in contact with Randy Miller who I think is the owner of that business. The 364 is not good for me due to reddish color and the burls a little different. Anyway he said they get their photos from Adobe Stock and sent me what he thought was close. I found one that would work but it appears to be too reddish as well. I sent him an email asking if he can adjust the hue/color of the images and what would it cost to get the license and have them print. He said he could change the hue. I’ll let you know how that goes. I’ve ordered the new bezel from DC so I can compare it to what’s available in adobe stock. My door panels may be faded or discolored so I’ll go off the new DC material instead.

You can cruise the adobe stock as well. This is a good selection here
https://stock.adobe.com/search?similar_ ... url=detail
I did find a place to order samples to compare to my DC bezel. For $0, I figure it is worth a look.

If you can get something made up that is spot on, you might be able to have a side business - especially if DC doesn’t want to offer it. I would imagine there is some demand for this product.
Steve F.
8)
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Randy stated the image usually cost around $7. He’s going to give me a total cost...hopefully.

Man I’m retired, I’d rather just share the information and let folks decide. My wife said it’s like I’m hunting for an avacodo green or burnt orange appliance. Hard to find and only a few people get it.
Bullitt74
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Bullitt74 »

MikeB wrote:Randy stated the image usually cost around $7. He’s going to give me a total cost...hopefully.

Man I’m retired, I’d rather just share the information and let folks decide. My wife said it’s like I’m hunting for an avacodo green or burnt orange appliance. Hard to find and only a few people get it.
:lol: I completely understand - so busy between family, kids, work and truck that I could never entertain a side business - it would just fall off the side of my desk. Keep me posted!
Steve F.
8)
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Steve
Just read your build thread. I’m looking forward to reading more as I’m going your route almost exactly except I’m planning to convert to auto (Sore knee I don’t want to make worse).

So I suppose since you already had the door panels made your looking for burl for that small horizontal piece that runs along the bottom right side of the dash..correct? I will be installing after market ac that has a similar pice that I want to cover in the burl. I would think having that smaller linear footprint would probably be more forgiving if the burl was not exact as long as the color matched.

I’ll be keeping up. Oh the bullet mustang is one of our favorite mustangs especially the color.

Your thread is very informative thanks for taking the time.
Bullitt74
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Bullitt74 »

MikeB wrote:Steve
Just read your build thread. I’m looking forward to reading more as I’m going your route almost exactly except I’m planning to convert to auto (Sore knee I don’t want to make worse).

So I suppose since you already had the door panels made your looking for burl for that small horizontal piece that runs along the bottom right side of the dash..correct? I will be installing after market ac that has a similar pice that I want to cover in the burl. I would think having that smaller linear footprint would probably be more forgiving if the burl was not exact as long as the color matched.

I’ll be keeping up. Oh the bullet mustang is one of our favorite mustangs especially the color.

Your thread is very informative thanks for taking the time.
Thanks for the kind words Mike!

My green XLT door panels are in not bad shape, but the plastic chrome trim is peeling quite badly, and there is some water damage to the MDF, so the edges curl up in a few places. I thought about dying them black, but in the end I got a good deal from an upholsterer (he actually listened to me about my design for the panels) and although they are not original, I'm happy with them. If TMI or DC decide to reproduce the 71-72 XLT panels, I will certainly go back to original style for sure.

The dash trim (small aluminum piece under the wheel, and plastic trim under dash where the AC would otherwise go) is in decent shape, and the vinyl wood is in decent shape. It will only be a matter of time before it needs to be replaced though. I suspect that piece would be more forgiving for sure, as it is only about 1.5-2" wide.

Oh yeah - my brother-in-law always called me 'McQueen' due to my first name...once I figured out who Steve McQueen 8) actually was and watched the movie 'Bullitt" I was hooked on Mustangs, and became a fan of the car and the actor. Still a few McQueen movies I need to sit down and watch yet...
Steve F.
8)
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

I like the way your new door panels turned out.If you want to go back to original a company called SMS carry factory fabrics and said they would restore mine if I sent it to them but mine are 80% goo. The burl and chrome is the not so good. Actually peeled the rest of the fake chrome Mylar off and used a silver leaf paint pen. Looks ok, silver not chrome. I also had curled edges and warped panels but I used a steam iron to reshape them. Worked out well. So all I have left is the burl on the door and under bezel.

I wish I could have gotten your burl from your panels before the recover... :( I’d be happy replacing just the bad one with an older original. I’m only going new on both to keep it consistent.

Side note. I saw your comment about possibly going red but had too many in the past. LOL I bought mine cause it was candy apple red/Wimbledon/candy apple. My last three ford trucks were all green and as much as I like dark green I decided to NOT get another no matter how tempting. So I Red was my top choice followed by blue, maroon, and black.
Bullitt74
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Bullitt74 »

MikeB wrote:I like the way your new door panels turned out.If you want to go back to original a company called SMS carry factory fabrics and said they would restore mine if I sent it to them but mine are 80% goo. The burl and chrome is the not so good. Actually peeled the rest of the fake chrome Mylar off and used a silver leaf paint pen. Looks ok, silver not chrome. I also had curled edges and warped panels but I used a steam iron to reshape them. Worked out well. So all I have left is the burl on the door and under bezel.

I wish I could have gotten your burl from your panels before the recover... :( I’d be happy replacing just the bad one with an older original. I’m only going new on both to keep it consistent.
Lol - I sacrificed some ugly brown Sport-Custom panels for the recover, and still have my green ones. I DO have an extra red passenger one which you're welcome to have (PM sent). I'm going to hold onto my green ones - maybe I'll restore them someday, or use them as a template...
Steve F.
8)
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Bullitt74 wrote:
MikeB wrote:I like the way your new door panels turned out.If you want to go back to original a company called SMS carry factory fabrics and said they would restore mine if I sent it to them but mine are 80% goo. The burl and chrome is the not so good. Actually peeled the rest of the fake chrome Mylar off and used a silver leaf paint pen. Looks ok, silver not chrome. I also had curled edges and warped panels but I used a steam iron to reshape them. Worked out well. So all I have left is the burl on the door and under bezel.

Lol - I sacrificed some ugly brown Sport-Custom panels for the recover, and still have my green ones. I DO have an extra red passenger one which you're welcome to have (PM sent). I'm going to hold onto my green ones - maybe I'll restore them someday, or use them as a template...
Probably a good idea.
Bullitt74
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Bullitt74 »

MikeB wrote:
Have put the DC side molding woodgrain up against the marine teak?

The 3M Di Noc Marine Teak is on the left, and the cheaper Vvivid Teak is on the right. I thought the 3M product would be a better match, but I know from posts on the FTE forum that the marine Teak is bang on for the tailgate trim. The side trim, it looks like the grain is tighter, and perhaps a shade darker. Starting to find it odd that Ford used possibly THREE different vinyl wood grain products on the same truck...might be true if they farmed out production to different companies. If I had to redo my side trim, I’d use the 3M marine Teak and call it good enough...
Steve F.
8)