'68 Highboy.... rebounding from neglect (LS Swap and Mechanical Restoration)

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

biggurn

Re: '68 Highboy.... rebounding from neglect (LS Swap and Mechanical Restoration)

Post by biggurn »

I've been working on some of the small things that need to be done to get the truck where I want it and on the road (not that I haven't been driving it, but to have it "trip ready"). Built a spare tire mount:

Then I built a "headache rack" for the tool box (for load securement and part of a jack mount) then mounted a hi-lift jack

Yesterday the oldest minions and I put a new gasket in the back window (thanks to YoungFordKid for words of wisdom on how to do this successfully).

Today I put in some small d-rings down low. One of my favorite things about my Super Duty are the low and plentiful mounting points. Decided I'd install some d-rings in this truck to provide similar options.

Windshield, T-case rebuild and twin stick shifter are the only major items left to get done!
The Fords:
2016 SuperDuty F350 LWB Crew 6.2L
2019 Ford Expedition Max 3.5L
1993 F350 LWB Crew 460
1988 Ford Bronco II 2.9L
1970 F100 (full frame swap Crown Vic Underpinning, LS Powered, 4L80E)
1968 F250 Highboy (LS Powered, 4L80E)
biggurn

Re: '68 Highboy.... rebounding from neglect (LS Swap and Mechanical Restoration)

Post by biggurn »

Ilene Update (1968 Ford F250 4x4)- I had some time yesterday and today, so I decided to finally attack the rust spot on the passenger fender... fixing that also meant plugging the holes in the body from the removed bump molding, then taking care of the oxidized paint and then painting it all to match...

Rust cut out

To deal with the oxidized paint, I did a SOS scrub wash and man, does that work! You can see the driver side showing the scrubbed door vs the bed that hadn't been done.

Tape and ready for Candyapple red

Waiting for paint to dry and cure

Shot the hood with a test of clear

After shooting paint yesterday, I wet sanded it all back down to blend, then shot the whole truck in the first coat of clear. I'll shoot a 2nd coat on my next day off. Very happy with how it looks!

The Fords:
2016 SuperDuty F350 LWB Crew 6.2L
2019 Ford Expedition Max 3.5L
1993 F350 LWB Crew 460
1988 Ford Bronco II 2.9L
1970 F100 (full frame swap Crown Vic Underpinning, LS Powered, 4L80E)
1968 F250 Highboy (LS Powered, 4L80E)