70 F-100 restoration - Germany

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

Matthias70

70 F-100 restoration - Germany

Post by Matthias70 »

Hello guys,

I'd like to contribute to this community by sharing the little project I just started:

It is a 1970 Ford F-100 Sport Custom
360/C6
Power steering
Power drum brakes

It is my wife's car (she's an American) and we own it since 2019. It was imported by a friend of mine from Washington-State.

As far as I can tell, it is pretty much unmolested and in ok-shape.
I think sheet-metal-wise, it is above average, however, there must have been some damage because the rear left quarter panel has been replaced at some point.
But the only rust holes I found so far are underneath the battery and on the left side accordingly, a hole in the radiator support and one bad area in the passenger foot well, next to the sill.
That's it.
The mechanicals are, as far as I can tell, bone stock. But everything is tired.
Everything "rubber" needs to be replaced on the whole truck.

The plan is:
- Adapt the truck to German standards, to pass the very, very strict German tech inspection
- Keep the esthetics
- Completely restore everything that's not visible from the outside to as good as new
- Keep stock wheels and suspension
- Rebuild the engine with focus on low and mid rpm torque
  • Change it to 390 cubes
  • Install new cam (most probably hydr. roller from Brent Lykins)
  • Performer intake
  • Holley 600
  • Headers
  • General FE oil mods
- Convert to front disc brakes from a '74 F-100
- Install complete new wiring harness from American Autowire
- Enhance the cooling system so it will stay icecold when climbing alpine passes in summer
  • Improved radiator
  • Electric fans
  • PWM-control for fans
  • Engine oil cooler
  • Trans oil cooler
- Install auxiliary tank and get rid of in-cabin tank

All subject to change as I go along ;-)

This is the truck still in the States:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Matthias70

Re: 70 F-100 restoration - Germany

Post by Matthias70 »

Picking up at the harbor:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hfdco4
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by hfdco4 »

Looks like a great truck now. Should be really nice as you make changes and updates.
Paul
:fr: FE390PC
1970 F250 4x4
2016 F150 4x4 2.7 ECO
Gone 1997, 1999 & 2003 F150 4x4s
Gone 1988, 1989 & 1991 Broncs
Matthias70

Post by Matthias70 »

Sorry guys, I think I cancel the reporting on my restoration here.

I have tons of pictures to share with you guys, they all are located on my own webspace, but when I link them here, they're not shown.
And uploading attachments is a pita here. Only 3 pictures are allowed and if I want to post multiple answers with 3 pictures each, I can't because it is blocked for a while to reply to a post that you just replied on....so if I want to show 50 pictures, I'd sit on my pc for a day.

If noone has a solution on how I can show the pictures which are located on my own webspace, it makes no sense to continue with this thread.
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

That's a good looking truck.

You shouldn't have any trouble displaying remotely hosted images. Make a post trying to link one or send me the weblink and i'll see what i can figure out.

As far as the engine - you might as well make it at least a 410 if you're going to replace the rotating assembly, Scat has what you need and Brent can send it to you balanced... I did a 445.
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
Matthias70

Post by Matthias70 »

Hi Robert,

thanks for the input.
Unfortunately, this is not the only forum where this problem of mine occurs.
For example I have posted hundreds of posts and thousands of pictures in a German BMW E34 forum over the last 12 years, and I can't see those pictures in this forum anymore and can't post new ones either. Other people claim to see my pictures, others can't see 'em, too.

But since you offered your support, why not give it a try.
Again, all my pictures are on my very own webspace, which I use for more than 20 years now (!). No change there.

Doesn't matter if I link them with http or https, same result. Just a blank space in my final post.

But here is a link to one of my pics, as an example:
http://www.w-o-t.de/f100/bestandsaufnahme/1.JPG

There are 49 more in this folder, just replace the 1 with a number between 2 and 50.

When I post it here, it looks like this:

Thanks

Oh and, since this will be a 100% street driven, stock suspension/tire truck for my wife, 390 cubes is more than enough.
I already bought a used 390 crank and rods. After boring/honing, it'll have 396 cubes. That's plenty.
MAK
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by MAK »

DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

Yup, what MAK said.

I can see all of those pictures except for your second one that is linked as https.

Could you try viewing you photos from a different ISP than your normal. I recently has an issue where for some reason my ISP was preventing my photos from showing, but i could view them from a different ISP. (for instance if i turned wifi off on my phone.

nice truck, love the dog dish hubcaps.
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper