cd/radios?

Inside the cab...appearance, repair, upgrades

Moderator: FORDification

71-F-250SC-72-F-250C

re: cd/radios?

Post by 71-F-250SC-72-F-250C »

Neither our 71 or 72 had a fm radio in them. It might have been an option but I don't think it was standard. Also, I HAD to bend the ears just to get the radio out of the 72, then I just bent them back because I put a simular radio in than has the knobs and I put the stock cover over the new radio.
71 f-250 Sport Custom-frame off in progress..again thank to irjetmachanic. :)
72 f-250 Custom
71 f-100 swb sport custom
03 mach1 mustang
cant forget my thing...haha 74 volkswagon thing.
[quote="ToughOldFord"]
Damn, 7 gallons per mile, obviously FE powered!
granitestate68

Post by granitestate68 »

Hi and Welcome hdrider, feel free to jump over to the Welcome Mat and introduce yourself and your ride. I'm sure someone here can find you a picture of the cd set up. By the way :fr: just in case you haven't noticed :wink:
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... p?pos=-550
1996 F250 Slightly lifted 7.3L Diesel
1961 Falcon Ranchero 144 Inline 6
shortbedCUSTOM
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: re: cd/radios?

Post by shortbedCUSTOM »

hdrider wrote:Just wondering if anybody has some pics of a cd player with a volvo kit mounted in the truck?
here is mine with an upsidedown Volvo kit. part # 99-9222 I took the advice of some of the other members on the site and bend the ears back. once you do that you can screw the kit into the ears for stability. small sheetmetal screws will be enough, then continue with your typical intall.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shortbedCUSTOM
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by shortbedCUSTOM »

here is another pic. if you need a pic of how I screwed it in I can probably get you one in a few days. LMK

BTW, BestBuy carries the kits.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hdrider

Post by hdrider »

Looks good! Thanks for the pics.
crazy larry

Post by crazy larry »

that does look nice. I have my deck, my amp, i now need two 12's and a volvo kit........ then i can be a menace to the neighborhood. even more.

will hit bestbuy as soon as i can.
Larry

'72 F-250 Kustom 396 c.i.
Fotoes
cobraF100
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by cobraF100 »

Thats Nice and Clean........ :thup:
Chris
Never Forget Our Soldiers
granitestate68

Post by granitestate68 »

Hi shortbedCUSTOM,

Went out and got the volvo kit today and transplanted a new deck in my 68. Looks and sounds AWESOME. Question though. Did you screw the cage for the deck to the ears or what. Mine sticks out at the bottom. I bent the ears to hold up the unit. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

By the way, every man should have a son that is a cerified mobile audio installer that works part time for Best Buy along with his full time job. I spent half the afternoon installing this thing and boogered it up. He comes home and ten minutes later (no ****) the thing is singing like you wouldn't believe.
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... p?pos=-550
1996 F250 Slightly lifted 7.3L Diesel
1961 Falcon Ranchero 144 Inline 6
trukcrazy
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by trukcrazy »

Another way to keep the original look would be to use a factory am/fm that has been updated along with an IPOD or other device that will play through an fm radio using an fm transmitter. This is what I use over here and it works great. Could also then use a multi-disc player, located elsewhere in the truck, plugged into the same radio. Just a thought. :D
John, #424
1967 F250 crewcab x 2.
2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport Quadcab
2008 Challenger SRT8
BigRedTruck
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by BigRedTruck »

you discovered my plan.......oh wait don't go looking in my truck....I have no IPOD.....really....move along.....move along.... :lol:
69 F-100 2wd 360 cid C6
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head
trukcrazy
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by trukcrazy »

Yeah and you don't have to bend or cut the dash at all, if that is what you are after. Of course if a prevee :lol: has already cut it up, then there is no problem at all :D .I was just looking at the Electro-Tech website and that is the way to go. When it comes time for mine, I will have them convert my am radio to am/fm and then I will have the best of both worlds.
John, #424
1967 F250 crewcab x 2.
2008 Challenger SRT8
shortbedCUSTOM
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: re: cd/radios?

Post by shortbedCUSTOM »

granitestate68 wrote:Hi shortbedCUSTOM,

Went out and got the volvo kit today and transplanted a new deck in my 68. Looks and sounds AWESOME. Question though. Did you screw the cage for the deck to the ears or what. Mine sticks out at the bottom. I bent the ears to hold up the unit. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

By the way, every man should have a son that is a cerified mobile audio installer that works part time for Best Buy along with his full time job. I spent half the afternoon installing this thing and boogered it up. He comes home and ten minutes later (no ****) the thing is singing like you wouldn't believe.
Hey,

actually, I screwed the kit to the ears through some holes I made in the cage. the cage is held to the kit with some tabs that you simply bend a bit to keep it on the kit. if you're using the same kit that I used the kit itself has some ears. if you notice the ears of the kit line up with the ears on the dash. after bending the ears on the dash back I drilled holes in the ears of the kit. I then slid the kit into the dash and with a fine tipped marker I marked where the holes were on the dash ears. remove the kit and drill holes in the dash ears for sheetmetal srews. install your cage into the kit and secure it. now you need to drill holes in the cage that match up with the holes in the kit's ears. slide your cage and kit into the dash and secure it using the sheetmetal screws. keep in mind to make all your holes where they need to be so that your kit gets a straight and tight fit against the dash.

there you have it, all that's left is to wire everything and slide the radio in.

LMK how it turns out and post some pics.

Carlos
71-F-250SC-72-F-250C

Post by 71-F-250SC-72-F-250C »

I just bought a cd player for mine, but how do you get the ipod to hook up to it there are many times I wished I could b/c I think its dumb going down the road with headphones in your ear, plus I dont like listening to headphones.
71 f-250 Sport Custom-frame off in progress..again thank to irjetmachanic. :)
72 f-250 Custom
71 f-100 swb sport custom
03 mach1 mustang
cant forget my thing...haha 74 volkswagon thing.
[quote="ToughOldFord"]
Damn, 7 gallons per mile, obviously FE powered!
trukcrazy
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by trukcrazy »

There is a couple of different ways to use your IPOD in your vehicle.
1) Using a fm transmitter like an iTrip, which plugs into the top of the iPod and plays through the fm station you choose. There is also a setup that plugs into the power plug(lighter) and the iPod actually sits in it and transmits through a fm station, but it also charges the iPod at the same time. If you look at the iPod site it will show you the different options. I have both of the items i was describing and they work very good.
2) There are in dash stereos that come ready to plug the iPod into and it displays the info from the iPod on the stereo face and the iPod hides in the glovebox. A friend of mine has this stereo and says it works good also. I think his is an Alpine, but there are others. Hope this helps.
John, #424
1967 F250 crewcab x 2.
2008 Challenger SRT8