The Ranger XLT Misses HRPT 2019 and Gets Ready For Power Tour 2021

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

DuckRyder

Re: The Ranger XLT Gets Ready For Power Tour 2019

Post by DuckRyder »

The bleeder is up...

Probably still be a PITA...

I was not expecting the flex hose to stick straight up like that, but like I said that is the only way they will go...

It is all together... going to let it gravity bleed a bit then get the mityvac out... gotta clean up some mess it is driving me nuts...
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

So if you compare the right and left side you can see the differences in the rotors.

Spent the afternoon dealing with leaks at the caliper due to (as I finally discovered) the washers being too thin.

Didn’t get any cleaning up done.

Which brings me to my afternoon rant.

I AM SO SICK OF GARBAGE PARTS...

I bought literally a box full of stuff from NPD because I though I would get better parts... I was wrong... the hose washers were too thin and too small in diameter to seal the lines (and didn’t resemble the ones that came on the used calipers) Booster check valve doesn’t fit and is same dorman garbage you can get nearly anywhere... Shoddy rotors... :cuss:

Not happy...

end rant...

So, I have to bend some lines and plumb the proportioning valve in, bleed all 4 wheels and set the toe then we will see if it has good brakes (if it doesn’t it might be for sale)... :help:
Robert

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
Idaho Chris

Post by Idaho Chris »

Bad/wrong parts really piss me off too. I would say 20% of the time, on average, I am sent the wrong and/or shoddy part.

I have also become very spoiled with immediate processing and two day Amazon shipping. Anywhere else I order parts from, there is a one or two day delay for order processing and then a week for shipping. Getting a wrong part can mean two weeks of delay. :(
-Chris
1969 F250 4x4 4spd 300 I6
1973 Mustang Mach 1 351C
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

You are right Chris, delayed shipping is a pain too...

NPD has not lowered themselves to reply to my e-mail about the rotors, I’d be happy with a “Sorry about that, we will let Wagner know” but crickets.

Anyway,

I have a little bit of adjustment to do, target is about 4’11.5” measuring it at this point is not ideal of course, but I should be able to get it close enough until I can get it to my friends with the Hunter Rack. I do need to cut a couple of 4” blocks before I adjust.

This is the union in the rear brake line

In this afternoon’s “Zip Tie Moment” (apologies to Roadkill) we have my idea of how to mount the valve.
Robert

DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

Update...

I took a little break...

The caliper dust boots have been bugging me, so I took the left side back apart and fixed it, will do the right side tomorrow then on to the proportioning valve...

Apparently this boot thing is common and you have to put them on before the piston goes in, which is only slightly less aggravating than after ... maybe this is common knowledge in Ford circles but it was news to me...
Robert

DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

All right, right side done...

I picked up a couple of premade 8” lines (brake lines are surprisingly hard to find around here) and will cut a section of 8” wire to design the lines then bend them If I have to I can cut them and remake the flares (assuming I can find my flare tool, which is far from a sure thing). I think a couple of squared “U” shapes should do it.

I plan to cut the bracket just above the body of the adjustable valve and am considering mounting the valve inside the bracket for protection.
Robert

DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

OK, back at this today...

I actually think I can remove the union and have enough flex and movement in the line to insert the valve without all the extra bracket and hose, I’m going to try that first.

Cursed fuel return line will not stop leaking at the regulator :cuss:
Robert

DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

OK that worked.

Obviously the correct way to insert this would have been to fractionally shorten and reflare the line, which I may do in the future but for now I was able to flex the lines enough to install the adjustable valve.

Bleeding the brakes is being a real pain... back to work on that...
Robert

DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

All right we are riding with front Disk Brakes. :hd:

The proportioning valve seems to have balanced the truck OK at the recommended starting point of 1/2 way between completely open and completely closed.

I still need to get the front end lined up before I go on an extended drive, heavy brake test...

I’m not sure if I let the POR dry too long before coating with the Oldsmobile Gold or if it is because the paint was old, but it isn’t holding up well at all...
Robert

Manny
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Manny »

Its calipers the paint doesn't always work out. Glad you have disc brakes!! How is the ride and drive with that???
Just another Ford fool named Dan.
The Junk that hangs around
67' F-250 highboy Camper special cross breed currently under way
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=86706
1974 Bronco 302 3 speed
1984 bronco 302 c6 35's
1994 F350 7.3 5spd dually.
woods wrote: The rust holes in my truck were a factory install (very rare).
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

Hi Manny.

I haven’t gone very far, but it definitely seems to stop better, be tighter and less squeaky with the new bushings and brakes.

I have to find time to get it over to my friends at the dealer and get it lined up before too much driving.

Gotta start getting together bearings and so forth for the 9”, but my Honda has developed a leaky oil pump and is in need of it is next timing belt so that is going to be a bit of an investment using up discretionary funds and time. (Some nerve it has costing me money at 200,000 miles).

I also noticed NPD replied to my review of the rotors, so perhaps they will redeem themselves. They claim they never got my e-mail, but that they have gone through their inventory and returned the incorrect rotors so hopefully if anyone else uses them they will be right...
Robert

Manny
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Manny »

DuckRyder wrote: (Some nerve it has costing me money at 200,000 miles).

I also noticed NPD replied to my review of the rotors, so perhaps they will redeem themselves. They claim they never got my e-mail, but that they have gone through their inventory and returned the incorrect rotors so hopefully if anyone else uses them they will be right...

Can't get good stuff these days. Shoschiro Honda should give you an apology letter :lol: Hopefully NPD will redeem themselves on the parts. I have not bought to much from them.
Just another Ford fool named Dan.
The Junk that hangs around
67' F-250 highboy Camper special cross breed currently under way
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=86706
1974 Bronco 302 3 speed
1984 bronco 302 c6 35's
1994 F350 7.3 5spd dually.
woods wrote: The rust holes in my truck were a factory install (very rare).
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

LOL, yeah he definitely owes me an apology letter - tires, brakes, batteries, oil changes and a couple of O2 sensors and about to roll up on 200,000 ... completely unacceptable service from that thing... :lol:

Update on the rotors and booster check valve.

I’ve now been in contact with NPD and they are offering to send a different check valve and trying to match one of the rotors... They seem willing to do whatever it takes to make it right so far, will keep updated.
Robert

DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

Today I received a new rotor and a Ford check valve NPD sells for the Mustangs along with a couple of bonus items...

I haven’t had a chance to really examine them but upon cursory inspection the rotor seems to match the left one, and the check valve looks closer for sure...
Robert

hfdco4
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by hfdco4 »

Congrats on getting the right parts the second time around!
Paul
:fr: FE390PC
1970 F250 4x4
2016 F150 4x4 2.7 ECO
Gone 1997, 1999 & 2003 F150 4x4s
Gone 1988, 1989 & 1991 Broncs