Errors in '68 Salesman's Brochure

General Discussion Topic Archives
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Errors in '68 Salesman's Brochure

Post by FORDification »

A while back when I was scanning and posting the '68 Salesman's Brochure, I found something funny in it, an error that shouldn't have ever made it to the printers. There's a mention of it down at the bottom of the page, and those of you who have been around for a while might recall us laughing about it in a previous discussion:

http://www.fordification.com/lit/68-fact-brochure.htm

However, I was looking at it again this evening and noticed a few other discrepancies! :eek:

OK, look on Page 5. Look at the location of the armrest! It's WAY up high and to the rear, instead of lower and more towards the middle of the door panel. Man, I don't believe I missed that the first time around....I mean, it's so obvious. So...I started closely checking out the rest of the pictures in that and noticed another one! Check out the location of the ashtray handle in all the pics...the handle in these pictures show the handle being mounted quite a bit lower than it really is.

Also, all the trucks pictured in this brochure have the '67-only style of inside rear-view mirror....the kind that mounts to the top of the windshield frame. The mirror that was actually used on all '68s is the type which glues to the windshield.

The reason I was looking at this brochure again is because I knew the factory re-released this brochure later in the year, to correct the instrument panel mistake. The second printing also had a new front and rear cover. I recently got my hands on this later version, so I've updated the page with scans of the front and rear covers of this second printing. Click the link above to check out the full-size versions, shown at the very bottom of the page.

Image Image
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
68F250
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

re: Errors in '68 Salesman's Brochure

Post by 68F250 »

Ya know I've wondered about that too! I have the first printing with the backwards "R" and there are funny things going on with those pics. Check out the brake pedal, it has an arch instead of being almost straight. The gas pedal looks funny too. Also, the radio knobs stick out waaay too far. Heater control has a funny knob on the sliders, ashtray looks like a '67. The standard cab interior has a funny window crank and the armrest is all wrong. I think these are staged photos in a pre-production mock-up. Just like the exact same trucks with different grilles air brushed in the '70's brochures.
Barry

"Are you gonna make it all 220?"
"Yeah 220, 221, whatever it takes."
binder56jd
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by binder56jd »

eagle eyes :thup:
"Sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here" — Jack Nicholson, As Good As it Gets

now serving #235

"the only way to believe in the American dream is to be asleep"--GC

How much easier it is to be critical than to be correct. - Benjamin Disraeli
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

Actually those are probably artist renderings and not actually photos of a real truck. They probably went to print before the production began. When I worked for Arctic Cat in 94 I would notice small things that weren't right in many of the brochure pictures. One thing that always amused me was that the position of the molded spokes in the bogey wheels was the same on every model.
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
hutch1973

Post by hutch1973 »

Interesting, my 68 has the mirror mounted up high, off the windshield. I assumed it was factory, but I guess not. Either way, glad it's up there, really like that style.
Bumpless for now...
68F250
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 68F250 »

Your 4x4 will have the old '67 style high mount.

That brings up another thing in the '68 brochures, check out the mirrors. None of them are stuck to the windshield!
Barry

"Are you gonna make it all 220?"
"Yeah 220, 221, whatever it takes."
NM5K
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by NM5K »

>The mirror that was actually used on all '68s is the type >which glues to the windshield.

My 68 has the 67 type too. Course, It's possible
it replaced a windshield mount.. But it has the 67
type, and the viser ends fit perfectly in the little
notches just like it was made that way.. There
are no glue square traces on the glass, but
it could have been scraped off. Don't know if it's
original or not...But I like it better too. You know
it'll never fall off some day like most the glue
mounts eventually do. I'm pretty sure my 74 is
a glue mount. "Hummm, 4x4 would make a
mirror difference? " Maybe mine has the old
kind cuz it's a F-250... ?? Not a 4x4, but it is
the HD 7500 lb load version with a floor shift.
MK
1968 F-250 / 300 six / T-18
Dana 60 - 4.10 Limited Slip