what Transmision do I need???

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

67NC

what Transmision do I need???

Post by 67NC »

I want to put an auto matic trans in my 67, I have a straight 6, 300 engine. I am looking to purchase a rebuilt one off the shelf. I have a 3 speed on the column that I hate, so this will be a complete transition to an auto. is there anything special I should know or be looking for?? Any help is appreciated.
GT-Racer
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by GT-Racer »

you'll need a tranny with a smallblock bell housing. 300,289,302 and 351 are all the same. I would reccomend a c-4 unless you want to try and find a later model tranny with overdrive. They normally arent as strong though (In my opinion).
You also have to switch to an column from an automatic.
'67 F100 2wd shortbed - Beginning restoration.
351w, 5-speed, 3:70 gears (someday)

Drivin' a Chevy is Kinda Like wipin' before you poop, it just don't make no sense....:)
Leadfoot
Preferred User
Preferred User

re: what Transmision do I need???

Post by Leadfoot »

you need the small block trans C4 or C6

the C4 is great because it takes less power to run but the are not very strong so towing is not recommended. Personally I would go with a C6 for its easier to get the front section of drive shaft for the trucks.
WHAT ?
jzjames
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by jzjames »

I like the C4 behind my 300-6. I hear its supposed to be a good transmission. I would like to get one that has been upgraded/ built up, whatever.
dotcentral
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by dotcentral »

An auto trans is a good swap for a daily driver truck. C4, C6, AOD should fit easy, just make sure you get the right flexplate if going with an AOD.
Former owner of 70 LB SportCustom and a 71 SB SportCustom. Looking for a replacement bump!
GT-Racer
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by GT-Racer »

I had a stock C-4 (with shift kit) But not built up, Behind a 400hp 351w with no problems what so ever. You get bad apples in every bunch though...
'67 F100 2wd shortbed - Beginning restoration.
351w, 5-speed, 3:70 gears (someday)

Drivin' a Chevy is Kinda Like wipin' before you poop, it just don't make no sense....:)