why dosent my drivers side door lock????

Inside the cab...appearance, repair, upgrades

Moderator: FORDification

edgar

why dosent my drivers side door lock????

Post by edgar »

my friends and my truck drivers side door dose not lock . i shut the doo and the pin goes up and when i get the key and try to lock it it dosent want to turn
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

re: why dosent my drivers side door lock????

Post by FORDification »

Are you sure you have the right key? ;)

The door has to be locked with the key...just pushing the button down and closing the door will unlock it, this was a factory design to keep you from locking your keys in your truck. As to why it's not working, you might want to pop off the door panel and take a look at the mechanism and make sure it's not bent or broken, and maybe lube it up a bit.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
jor
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by jor »

Here's a few photos of the inside. In the #1 photo, the blue arrow points to the lock mechanism and the red one to the the button mechanism. The other two show a closer view of each.
jor
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
edgar

Post by edgar »

hey thanks alot i appreciate it alot thanks again.
F250Camper

Post by F250Camper »

Mine will not lock unless I lock it with the key. If I push down the lock on the inside of the door and shut the door it pops up and is not locked but it will still let me lock it with a key.

I guess that it the saftey mechanism that was talked about, if so it sounds like mine is working.

Not sure why your key won't lock it.
Andy
1969 F100 300i
3 on the TREE
William123567

Post by William123567 »

maybe something aint lined up right or something cuz when i try to lock my driver side door it wont wanna turn till i push it to the unlock position and push it back ive tried to fix it but its like man i got other stuff to do so i go eat some twinkies
crazy larry

Post by crazy larry »

could be that the key or tumbler is too worn to function properly.

had that "key won't lock the door" problem as well, got a set of new keyed tumblers from lmc, (NOS ford parts at that) and they work great now.
Larry

'72 F-250 Kustom 396 c.i.
Fotoes
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

probably locking up inside the mechanism. You may need new lock cylinders. What about your key? Is it worn? The edges should be sharp and pointy.

If the key is worn take your passenger side lock cylinder to A good/reputible locksmith(not walmarts) and not any hardware store.

The locksmith will have a book with key codes that tell the diferent hieghts of the grooves.

Your cylinder will have this code printed or stamped/forged in it and your pass is the best one.
If it is not there or unreadable they can properly dissaasemble and reasemble it.

And make a good key. Mine ran 15.00 for them to do this. Butt it will be more if they have to dissamble it.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com