carrier bearing removal

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

William123567

carrier bearing removal

Post by William123567 »

how do i get the carrier bearing out of my truck it is a 70 f100 and has a c6 transmission the cover is off of the bearing and the drive shaft is hanging down but there is a piece of metal in front of the bearing and wont allow it to come off i tried to hit it off and prie it off but it dont budge any suggestions will help.
390Nut
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

re: carrier bearing removal

Post by 390Nut »

I THINK it needs to be pressed off. You can try to chisel a line into the press ring, that will make it expand enough to slip off, and maybe the bearing itself will slip off easier, but I'm not sure. I DO know you need a press to put it back together, however. Any driveline shop can do that for you quickly.
Paul
`69 F100 390 4spd driver
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?cat=10251
Dura-Spark II Conversion info at:
http://home.comcast.net/~390nut/Dura-SparkII.htm

Pipes71 did once say, "bumps and bikes.. what a great combo!" :thup:
mytmatt
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by mytmatt »

390Nut is 100% right, it needs to be pressed off. The machine shop where I used to work did all kinds of driveshaft work, and the guy that welded them always torched the inner race to the carrier bearing off. Easy to do, if you have a torch rig. And the shields on either side of the carrier bearing, got tossed immediately on every single one I ever did or saw get done.
CJ,s 67 F100
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by CJ,s 67 F100 »

I didnt know it needed to be pressed off. I was thinking of replacing mine. Do I just cut a notch in the race and then beat it off? Do I need the new one pressed on?
390Nut
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 390Nut »

The new one will need to be pressed on for sure, that much I know. Not positive if the bearing itself needs to be pressed on, but the retaining ring needs to be. It's machined slightly smaller than the driveline end where it is pressed on, hence the need for a press.
Paul
`69 F100 390 4spd driver
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?cat=10251
Dura-Spark II Conversion info at:
http://home.comcast.net/~390nut/Dura-SparkII.htm

Pipes71 did once say, "bumps and bikes.. what a great combo!" :thup:
mytmatt
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by mytmatt »

Charles, I hope this isn't patronizing but it's based on my bad experiences when I first started working on driveshafts. If you beat the bearing off be very careful not to apply any force where it isn't needed. It's better and easier if you can torch it off. You can also drive the new one on (it doesn't press by much) but again be sure and apply your driver only on the bearing race, and work your way around it a little at a time.

There's an excellent driveshaft shop in San Angelo, if you don't know of one up there. I can put you in touch with the guy if you want, he is extremely knowledeable about the subject.

Matt
William123567

Post by William123567 »

just went on a hellish run around looking for some1 to do the bearing removal and stuff but no one had a press except for one place and it would take a couple hours before it was removed so i went to burts auto and he torched it off and put the new one on with a hammer and punch.