Got the fuel tank flushed today

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Got the fuel tank flushed today

Post by FORDification »

I spent the day today getting the fuel tank flushed and cleaned out. Unfortunately, I found out that my tank has some rust pinholes in it. :cry: I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the POR-15 sealer will take care of those when I apply it tomorrow morning. :pray:

I had the camera with me (naturally) today, so I just whipped up another project update page:

http://www.fordification.com/my67-p36.htm

Here's a shot of the pinholes I found:

I'm really hoping that I don't have to go get another tank, but I have that covered....the truck near here in a salvage yard where I found that behind-the-seat storage compartment has a tank just like this. I need to go get the e-brake cable off that truck anyway (since the cable is different on trucks with this auxliary tank), so I'm not totally freaking out here....but I sure would prefer to not have to, obviously. The pic above makes them appear a little larger than they really are, the holes are no larger than 1/8", but I have to admit I'm a little leary about using it. However, I'm going to go ahead and apply the sealer tomorrow and see how it does. Afterwards I'm going to give this tank a good pressure test, just to be sure.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
heep70
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

re: Got the fuel tank flushed today

Post by heep70 »

Will Por 15 hold up to gas for a long period of time?
Greg

1971 F250 "Highboy". SOLD to "Highboy_Firefighter_71"
2000 Subaru Outback limited.
2000 F250 4X4 PSD SuperDuty Crew.
2010 Polaris 800RMK Dragon 155"
2013 Polaris Pro 800 RMK 163"
1980 Built Toyota "Trail Rig".
My last 1971 "Highboy" pics
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

I don't know about regular POR-15, but the stuff I got from them is different, actually made for the inside of a gas tank to seal it from the inside. I think it's kinda like a thin rubber coating. I guess I'll find out, though.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

Well, I went back to the shop this morning to go ahead and get the sealer applied. I guess I was wrong...it's NOT a rubbery substance, but more of a silvery-gray liquid. After agitating the tank around and then draining it, I was surprised and maybe a little concerned that nearly 2/3 of the cab was drained back out....that's not going to leave much inside that big tank to actually seal.

I went ahead and updated the page at the link above.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video