Inside the cab...appearance, repair, upgrades

Moderator: FORDification

Sharkdance
Preferred User
Preferred User

Firewall cover - What to do next?

Post by Sharkdance »

Greetings all,

Anyone that has been following my cab swap thread http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 14&start=0 knows that I have been contemplating getting an ABS firewall cover.
My old one was destroyed, and I tried to fabricate one myself with disappointing results. But I may have to try again because my truck funds are down to nill.
Anyway, while Im still figuring out what to do, Im at a stand still regarding re-assembly of my interior. I know I cant put my steering column or AC system in because they go thru the firewall cover. But what about the wiper motor assembly and the brake booster? Also what about the wiring harness?
Do they pass thru the firewall cover?
If I put them in/on now will I have trouble installing the firewall cover at a later date?

If anyone has detailed pix of their firewall cover it would be very helpful to me.
I already know where the bottom line is, and I can figure out where it ends on the sides, but some detail of exactly how far up it goes and what excessories run thru it would help me out allot.

I really would like to start re-installing my wiring harness as that seems like its going to be time consuming and time is pretty much all I got right now. (out of money)

Thanks for any help.
Sharkdance
70 F250 2WD 360/C6
Sharkdance
Preferred User
Preferred User

re: Firewall cover - What to do next?

Post by Sharkdance »

Nevermind. I think I just answered my own question. Pretty much everything runs thru the FW cover. And mounting the wiper motor first might not be a good idea even though it doesnt run thru it.

I still wouldnt mind seeing a few pix of existing firewall covers just for reference though.
Sharkdance
70 F250 2WD 360/C6
jzjames
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by jzjames »

Sharkdance, you couldnt decide on that ABS firewall for your cab. Seems like you should get past that sticking point, and your truck is so nice I think it would be a good investment to install the top grade firewall in that truck.
*getting out my LMC catalog*
ABS firewall - $170
Heat/sound insulation - $30
shipping/extras - $50
TOTAL - $250. Like I said, good investment for your truck. It will get you to finishing the truck too. (Easy for me to say. Im in my opinionated mode today!) :D
Sharkdance
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Sharkdance »

I wish it were that easy. Its not a matter of deciding whether or not to buy. Its a matter of having the bucks to do it.
Both my wife and I agree that an ABS cover is what my truck needs. And she even said she would help me budget enough money to pay for it. But you cant budget money that just ain't there.
We have to beat the wolves from the front door every month and Im lucky that I've even been able to afford what I've spent already.
Even had to take on a side job just to pay for the windshield and door gaskets.

Anyway, this forum is not for me to cry about my financial woes so Ill end that now.
Ill just have to take it as it comes and do the best I can with what I've got.

Thanks for the post. I know it was meant to help. Just sometimes I get frustrated.
Sharkdance
70 F250 2WD 360/C6
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by flyboy2610 »

I know what you mean about the wolves at the door, Sharkdance!
Can't help you much, just know that I'm puling for you. :wink:
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Red Green

If you're going to live like there's no hell...............
you'd better be right.
http://theworldasiseeit-flyboy2610.blog ... ee-it.html
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

It's funny you bring this up, because I'm at the point in my project too, for the most part. I've been swaying back and forth between trying to fix up one of the better firewall covers I have now or just spring for the ABS version. I was leaning towards just re-using an old one, but I just got a little cash in so I'm going to be ordering mine tonight in fact, before I have a chance to spend it on anything else.

You know if you don't get the good ABS cover, you're going to look down at that every time you drive the truck and grumble and wish you had, right?. ;) I'd say do whatever it takes to get it. Other parts that are easier to get to can be replaced with used versions to get you by until you can get new, but that cover would require a LOT of disassembly in the future, something you'd probably not be inclined to do. Get the cover and then maybe cut a corner or two on another area that would be easier to re-do in the future.

Just my :2cents: :D
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
GT-Racer
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by GT-Racer »

Can some one post a few pictures of theirs to see what the look like in good shape? Keith definitely post pics of that new one when you get it.

Has anyone thought of making their own out of say sheet metal or aluminum? I got to be pretty good with the metal brake at the shop building AMRA modified bodies I wouldnt think a firewall cover would be too tough. Just wondering.... :hmm:
'67 F100 2wd shortbed - Beginning restoration.
351w, 5-speed, 3:70 gears (someday)

Drivin' a Chevy is Kinda Like wipin' before you poop, it just don't make no sense....:)
trukcrazy
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by trukcrazy »

Hey Shark, what all do you need to move forward? Is it just the firewall cover or the insulation as well as jz listed?
ABS firewall - $170
Heat/sound insulation - $30
shipping/extras - $50
John, #424
1967 F250 crewcab x 2.
2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport Quadcab
2008 Challenger SRT8
Sharkdance
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Sharkdance »

Thanks flyboy2610, you guys and this forum are one of the reasons I've even gotten this far. I appreciate it.

FORDification,
I agree with you completely!
If I have to make due with something else I will surely regret it. So now Im looking for another side job to take on so I can get what I want rather than make due. If that don't happen, then I do have a few ideas that might work anyway. Already have the jute, just need to find a material that can be worked with more easily than the sheet steel that I have.
I do honestly think that a decent replacement can be hand crafted from jute and sheet steel or aluminum, but I don't have the equipment or experience working with steel/aluminum to pull it off myself. I tried. A firewall isn't flat, so its not easy to follow its contours with steel/aluminum.

For your truck I wouldn't settle for anything less than the best.
I remember when you said that you were going to patch together an old firewall cover and I thought you were joking. But I can surely understand having to work with what you got when money gets tight.
Im glad to hear that you opted for the ABS cover. Im sure you will be glad you did.

GT-Racer,
Yes, I had thought of making one my self. Even tried once several months back.
But after wasting several hours just trying to make a paper template, I couldn't see me having the talent to pull off a decent one out of an even more rigid material. Thats when my wife decided to buy me an ABS version. But with me being the only bread winner for a family of 5, money is always tight and every time we have a few extra bucks something always comes up.
If you already have a metal brake and bead roller, and some experience working with steel/aluminum, Im sure you could come up with a kick ass replacement.

trukcrazy,
My short list looks like this:
1) ABS firewall cover $170. + freight = ($200. ??)
2) A set of door glass run channels $99.
3) Another gallon of paint $105.
4)Another gallon of Hurculiner $99. (for the bed)
5) A water pump $ 19.
6) A new set of header gaskets $19.
7) A couple of cans of black engine enamel $8.
And probably another $100. for misc. crap that happens during assembly. (sealer, missing hardware, clamps, etc.)

Im not going to worry about insulating the floor, due to already having put down two coats of Hurculiner on both sides. And for the back wall of the cab (between the gas tank and back wall) Wideguage showed me a trick he did with some material he used from Home Depot. Looked good. I think Im gonna copy his idea on that section of my truck.

I may just have to come to grips with the fact that my truck just wont be finished by the end of this year.
My wifes car, (the only other transpo we have. The one she has been taking me back and forth to work with for the last 7 months) now needs tires and brakes. We have been racking up a lot of extra miles on her car due to my truck being down for so long.
All other things aside. Reliable transportation to and from work takes priority right now.
The good news is that if I can hold things together till tax time. (next year) then I will have the money I need to finish my truck and not have to short cut anything.
Sharkdance
70 F250 2WD 360/C6
trukcrazy
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by trukcrazy »

That's not too big of a list. Do you have any spare truck parts you can auction off or sell to help with your truck fund? Sent you a pm, John.
John, #424
1967 F250 crewcab x 2.
2008 Challenger SRT8
dotcentral
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by dotcentral »

Sharkdance, How close are you to NPD in Florida? I think they stock it also, so you could drive over and buy it and avoid the freight charges, if your close enough to their store.
Former owner of 70 LB SportCustom and a 71 SB SportCustom. Looking for a replacement bump!
Sharkdance
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: re: Firewall cover - What to do next?

Post by Sharkdance »

trukcrazy wrote:That's not too big of a list. Do you have any spare truck parts you can auction off or sell to help with your truck fund? Sent you a pm, John.
Your right. Thats not a big list at all considering what Ive accomplished already. Sometimes its the small stuff that can slow you down though.

I do have an assortment of stuff to sell/trade but most of the big ticket items require more freight than folks wanna pay.

Thanks for your thoughts, concerns, and help. You, Keith, and everyone here are the greatest!
Sharkdance
70 F250 2WD 360/C6
460 crew
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 460 crew »

I had purchased the firewall cover from Dennis carpenter, there was a little trimming here and there where some of the extra things go through. Most have the ABS precut but it is still intacted along with the insulation behind it. Here are a couple pics of when I put it in there. If anyone needs pics of a particular area of it let me know.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1970 4x4 Crewcab build and 12v cummins conversion
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=17179
Sharkdance
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Sharkdance »

460 crew,

That looks excellent! Thanks for the pix.
Sharkdance
70 F250 2WD 360/C6
trukcrazy
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by trukcrazy »

That cover looks pretty good. I may have to try one of those in mine if I destroy the original when it comes time to remove it. Good pictures.
John, #424
1967 F250 crewcab x 2.
2008 Challenger SRT8