Axle pivot bushings

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

Bigblock

Axle pivot bushings

Post by Bigblock »

I have the I beams off a 74 F100 for my disc conv. . On the bushings I got a moog, with the bushing it comes w/ the shell. My question can I use the old shell and just put the bushing in old shell and be, ok? Or do I need them pressed in. Thanks for any help!
Doug
71 F100 2wd 360 sold.
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

When you go to get the pivot bushings pressed out of the I-beam, the outer shell will come with it. The replacement bushings should also have a shell. If you're going to replace the stock rubber bushings with aftermarket polyurethane or polygraphite bushings, you'll need to reuse the shell, so you'll have to drill out the rubber on the stock bushing and knock it and the inner sleeve out, leaving the shell in the I-beam.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
Bigblock

Post by Bigblock »

Keith
The bushing is a stock replacement not a poly or whatever. So do you think I need to get them pressed in? The shell isn't bent or anything.

:?
Doug
71 F100 2wd 360 sold.
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

I'm not entirely sure I understand what you're asking. Are you saying the bushing is out of the I-beam but the shell is still installed? If so, then you need to remove them and use the new bushing/shell assembly.

The replacements will definitely need to be pressed in. If you can slide the new bushing/shell in without using a press, then either you have a bad/incorrect bushing or an I-beam with a very worn-out hole for the bushing. It should at least be VERY snug. If you don't have access to a hydraulic press, you might get by with using a good bench vise to press them in.

I'm in the process of doing this as well...I just dropped off my I-beams and spindles and had new kingpins installed and new polygraphite pivot bushings installed. The whole job at the machine shop was only $40. Not bad at all. It will save you some sweat and time.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
Bigblock

Post by Bigblock »

Keith

The old bushing is out and the shell is still in the I beam. I was asking about using the old shell and a new bushing. Or should I get the new one (shell and bushing) pressed in. Thanks.
Doug
71 F100 2wd 360 sold.
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

You won't be able to just buy the rubber part of the bushing without the shell, and you'd never get the shell and rubber separated anyway. Yes, definitely get the old shells removed from your I-beams and press in the new bushing/shell assembly on each side.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
Bigblock

Post by Bigblock »

Ok, Thanks.
I got the new bushing already. Thanks for your help, Keith.
Doug
71 F100 2wd 360 sold.
NM5K
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by NM5K »

Will usually depend on the part you buy. Many poly bushings come without the shell. In that case, you would want to keep the shell on the beam, and then put the new bushing innerds inside that. "I assume anyway, mine came with shells". If the new bushings come with shells, IE: stock bushings, then yes, you want to press out the old shells and use the new ones. I did the first one the hard way by hammering it out on the truck. Then hammering the new one in with a block of 2x4 to protect the shell. Wasn't fun...
But it is do-able...The other side, I had pressed in/out when I did my kingpins. Mine are the stock bushings with shells you get at most auto parts. Cost about 20$. I see you got yours done, but I thought I would mention this for future bushing changers...MK
1968 F-250 / 300 six / T-18
Dana 60 - 4.10 Limited Slip
lobuck76

Post by lobuck76 »

You can also use a pitman arm puller to install the new bushings. That's what I did on my last truck. I used the stock bushings with the outer shell.
You have to come up with a thin piece of metal to lay across the bushing to push against. I used a little flat style crowbar.
I hydraulic press would be the best tool for the job. :D Ron
'71 F-100