Original Style Rubber Floormats?

Inside the cab...appearance, repair, upgrades

Moderator: FORDification

Mooosman

Original Style Rubber Floormats?

Post by Mooosman »

Hello everyone! I may be buying a friend's 72 SWB F100 pretty soon, so I thought I'd get my feet wet and do some research on these old Ford pickups; see, I'm actually a MoPar guy at heart, but this 72 is too clean to pass up.

Anyway, this truck is a base model SWB with no carpet--rubber floormat only. It's going to need a new floormat here pretty soon, as the original one is cracked pretty badly.

On the transmission hump, there is a cool Cog-and-Lightning Bolt logo embossed into the mat, I guess the old Ford Trucks logo? I can't find anyone that reproduces a mat with the logo; do they exist, or am I stuck with the generic rubber mats?

Also, a quick question about exterior trim? This truck has no beltline or tailgate trim, and as far as I can remember, no chrome window trim. The front bumper is painted Wimbelton White, as are the steel wheels. Is the white the correct color for a truck like this, or should it be gray/silver? The truck is painted light green, with light/dark green interior.

Lastly, is there any kind of equipment sticker on the truck that would list the options the truck was ordered with? On my old MoPar stuff, it's on the bottom side of the hood?

Thanks for the help!

Nick a.k.a Mooosman
dotcentral
Preferred User
Preferred User

re: Original Style Rubber Floormats?

Post by dotcentral »

I think the only floor mats being repoped are plain black, and only run from the firewall to the front edge of the seat.

As far as options, you can get a few basics ones from the doortag. There is a decoder on this site to help you decipher it. Also, there is a Ford email address where they will send you a letter on Ford letterhead with a print out of options & build date. It is something like Askateford@___. Someone will have a link for that, or you could try doing a search for it.
Former owner of 70 LB SportCustom and a 71 SB SportCustom. Looking for a replacement bump!
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

Go to the following page to decipher your VIN tag (on the driver's door):

http://www.fordification.com/data-1972.htm

The link dotcentral was referring to is this:

https://www.customersaskford.com/Kate/K ... eSite=Ford

You can go to this link and fill out the form to get a copy of your build sheet from Ford. Be sure to give them all the info on the VIN tag for best results. However, these build sheets have proven to be fairly inaccurate, so take it with a grain of salt.

...and no, nobody repops those lightning-bolt floormats...unfortunately.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
Mooosman

Post by Mooosman »

Thanks so far, guys.

Did Ford put an actual copy of the buildsheet in the truck when it was on the line? Like behind the seat back springs, in the door, behind the headliner, etc.?

Also, does anyone know of a site with old dealership pictures? I don't think the dealer exists anymore for this truck (Waldrop Ford--Liberty, Tx), but it would be kind of neat to find an old picture of the dealer...

Thanks again, guys, I'm getting pretty excited. I may just buy it

Nick,
Ssshhh...Don't tell my MoPar buddies I'm thinking of a Blue Oval! :shh:
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

If a build sheet was included, it would normally have been stuffed between the springs in the seat back. However, in the very unlikely event that it's still there, it's probably going to be so brittle that you'll never get it out intact.

...and just for the record, I own a Mopar too....and a vintage Oldsmobile! ;) We don't care.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
jor
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by jor »

Nick,
If the big issue with this truck is floormats, I'm thinkin' it must be a beauty. Be sure and post some photos when you get it home.
jor
Mooosman

Post by Mooosman »

Honestly, the biggest issues with the truck are cosmetic. My friend literally found it in a barn out in east Texas; the family he bought it from had owned it since new and had just used it around the farm.

It has a 240/3 speed on the column/9" with 3.70 gears. The engine runs perfectly, and everything on the truck works great, too (I'll have to get used to manual 4 wheel drums again).

The best part is that the only rust on the truck is light surface rust on the bottom of the truck, and a couple little bubbles on the hood. Good thing, too, as I hate repairing cancer!

Nick

P.S. If I can get it to post, here's a picture of it...
dotcentral
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by dotcentral »

Nice looking truck Nick.

Occasionally NOS floor mates show up on eBay. Or you might try emailing or calling some of the supply houses. They have NOS stuff that isn't always advertised. Be prepared to pay for it though.

You might just keep an eye open for one, hit the salvage yards, etc. There seem to be at least 2 types of mats. with the lightning bolt, and with a speckled or splatter paint looking pattern. Plus there are different height trans humps to deal with also.
Former owner of 70 LB SportCustom and a 71 SB SportCustom. Looking for a replacement bump!
71 LONG BED
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 71 LONG BED »

Awesome original truck!! I love them like that. Any interior pics? Keep us posted on the happenings of your truck. :D
John Member #1549
71 F100 Sport Custom__________1967 F350 Gone, but not forgotten
Image Image Image
lazyj70

Post by lazyj70 »

What he said!
2008 F-350 Lariat Crew Cab 4X4 Western Hauler
1970 F-100 Ranger XLT.
Mooosman

Post by Mooosman »

Like I said, I haven't bought it yet, but I think when my friend gets back from his trip on Monday, I'm going to go ahead and buy it.

While I'm on the subject of interiors, who has the nicest, most original-looking seat covers? This truck has a light green vinyl bench with dark green vinyl inserts.

Thanks
Nick
MAK
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: re: Original Style Rubber Floormats?

Post by MAK »

Hey, that's my truck! Ha! :P I saw those pictures and thought man that's the exact same condition my seat was in last year when I pulled the seat out of the truck. :lol:
FORDification wrote:If a build sheet was included, it would normally have been stuffed between the springs in the seat back. However, in the very unlikely event that it's still there, it's probably going to be so brittle that you'll never get it out intact.

...and just for the record, I own a Mopar too....and a vintage Oldsmobile! ;) We don't care.
Last edited by MAK on Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

:lol: Cool! I didn't even recall where/when I got those pics, but saved them figuring someday they'd come in handy....and whaddya know? ;)
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
MAK
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: re: Original Style Rubber Floormats?

Post by MAK »

And you were right about it disintegrating as soon as I took it out from behind the seats... You're doing a great job documenting every aspect of these old trucks. I smell a book in your future... there's a void to be filled. :wink:
FORDification wrote::lol: Cool! I didn't even recall where/when I got those pics, but saved them figuring someday they'd come in handy....and whaddya know? ;)
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

Also check out the links on the front page here it has one about the brakes you'll enjoy. Mostly that the donor parts from 73-up for the front disck will fit and transform you into a front disc Rea drum setup.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com