Custom Made Insturment Panel?

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

mercman1953

re: Custom Made Insturment Panel?

Post by mercman1953 »

Hey guys I made one just about like the Haneline on and then put VDO 6 guage cluster in it. You could put any gauges that you like in it. I used a piece of aluminum and put it in from the front side with just a couple of socket head allen screws. If you are going to put new gauges in ti look at an electric speedo. Most can be programmed easily to compensate for any wheel/tire/gear ratio that you have and might change to. All without taking anything off. I will put pics up when I can get to the truck and take new ones.
1968 F250 longbed 2wd.
Late model 351w c6 trans.
1969 F100 Explorer
360 3spd manual

1967 Fairlane wagon
302 c4 trans
kid

Post by kid »

Thanks I am looking forward to it.
oltrukr

Post by oltrukr »

Just finished my "Do it yourself" project. I've got about $150.00 in it. Found the small LED's at a local parts house, gauges from Kragen, bezel from pick n pull. I used 1/8 ABS from Tap Plastics to mount the gauges.

Craig
http://profile.imageshack.us/user/oltrukr/

'72 F250 Camper Special Sport Custom 390 C6
'70 F250 Explorer Special Camper Special 360
MAK
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: re: Custom Made Insturment Panel?

Post by MAK »

Very nice work. That looks really good. I just notriced the one that RebelRider did and it looks nice too. 8)
oltrukr wrote:Just finished my "Do it yourself" project. I've got about $150.00 in it. Found the small LED's at a local parts house, gauges from Kragen, bezel from pick n pull. I used 1/8 ABS from Tap Plastics to mount the gauges.

Craig
BiggDogg
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by BiggDogg »

Cool pix everyone.

I just bought the billet dash panel. Haven't installed it yet. I'm guessing the install will be along the lines of the do it yourselfers (very nice by the way). What did you guys to with the shell to make it look better? Did you just spray paint it after cutting/before installing your panels/gauges?
1970 F250 Camper Special
"Its no coincidence that man's best friend can't talk."
Fake Name

Post by Fake Name »

I cut mine out, then clean and scrubbed it with simple green. Then I scrubbed it again with steel wool and wiped it down with acetone. Spray primer, steel wool, spray paint, steel wool, spray paint, steel wool, spray paint.

fn
1970 F250
2011 KTM 990 ADV
2003 KTM 525EXC
oltrukr

Post by oltrukr »

I used steel wool to remove all the old finish, it's white plastic under all the stuff ford used. 1st coat, white, was the new stuff made to spray plastic. Buffed it with 0000 steel wool and gave it a 2nd coat of the same. Buffed again and used a pewter grey to finish, 2 coats. Installed the gauges and LEDs and it will go into the '70 shortly.

Craig
http://profile.imageshack.us/user/oltrukr/

'72 F250 Camper Special Sport Custom 390 C6
'70 F250 Explorer Special Camper Special 360
NothingLikeIt

Post by NothingLikeIt »

I kinda just revamped my old setup, but I plan on builing a cluster with some sheet aluminum and a cover made from abalone pickguard blank material simular to that on a strat. As far as guages go, for the money you cannot go wrong with sunpro
Joey

If less is more, is more less??

1988 E-350 Club Wagon 351W/C6 Dana 60 3:95
2005 Dodge Ram 1500 LWB Reg. Cab. 4.7 auto