Wiring Harness

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

1BAD71

Wiring Harness

Post by 1BAD71 »

Hello! Has anyone used a wiring harness from EZ Wiring? And if so how good did it work and was it difficult to install? Would you recommend it over Painless and Ron Francis wiring harness? Im trying to install one in my 71 and need advice on wich one to use.
Thanks, :?
1971 F100
1BAD71

re: Wiring Harness

Post by 1BAD71 »

Fitzwell,
Was it the custom harness or was it the universal one?
1971 F100
Chasbod
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Chasbod »

Will the painless harness handle power locks and windows as well? One description said 12 ckt and the other said 14 ckt but the harness seems to handle all the necessary requirements including A/C.
71 F100 302/3.03 Project Truck Underway
kaptnkaos
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by kaptnkaos »

I have a friend that had EZ wiring make a custom harness for his '39 Dodge PU street rod... He highly recommends EZ. I have a couple of wiring diagrams on CD's that I got from them. They are good as well.
Washington...The land where rust is like the family pet...Ya learn to live with it and clean up after its mess... KaptnKAOS

"Olde Skool" '68 Ford Bluebird short bus
"FRODO" '68 F-250 Camper Special project
layedout72
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by layedout72 »

i think Big D bought a Ron Francis and loves the simple fact that it's pretty and well addressed color and label wise. That is where mine will come from when it comes time for it.
mercman1953

Post by mercman1953 »

Hey guys I have installed most of the aftermarket harnesses out there. It's what I do for a living. I am a street rod builder at Sachse Rod shop outside of dallas and My opinion (for waht it is worth) is that most of the major brands are good harnesses. EZ wire, Painless and others are good but they are hard wired into the back of the fuse box. I problem is if you do not use wires they have to be cut out of the harness or the ends taped off. I do not like that. Ron Francis and my favorite American Autowire are wired were you attach the wires to the fuse box yourself. If you do not use a wire you just don't install it. I also like the fact that AAW (American autowire) and Ron Francis pack sub-systems in individual bags that you take one at a time and they take you through it wire by wire. Both these harnesses have the best directions also in my opinion. I love AAW because they also include a full color wiring diagram of the overall system. Most harnesses support most of the add ons that we all like to have.(A/C, power windows, locks that sort of thing). My shop sells both AAW and Ron Francis you can go to our site and look at the prices of them if you like. Anyone who has a question about harnesses is free to ask me. I will give you my opinion. Don't get me wrong I like most of the harnesses out there and really have used a lot of them. Just telling you the ones that I like the most and use.
1968 F250 longbed 2wd.
Late model 351w c6 trans.
1969 F100 Explorer
360 3spd manual

1967 Fairlane wagon
302 c4 trans
layedout72
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by layedout72 »

hey man, great reasoning there! I am sure a lot of us won't use ALL the wires that come with these things, so not even having them IN THE TRUCK would make life a lot easier.
fitzwell
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by fitzwell »

the 10117...ford truck harness without switches. Does not have the dedicated circuit for power windows & doors, but does have a power wire for the ac circuit. The harness is preterminated into the fuse panel, less connections for you to make during the install.
As a metter of fact, i AM trying to keep up with the Jones'
Driving like Parnelli, Drinkin' like George
-------------------------------------------------------