Winshield wipers stopped working

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

69rangerman
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Winshield wipers stopped working

Post by 69rangerman »

Assuming these are electrical. I used the wipers for the first time today in several months and they made it half way up the glass and stopped. Flicking the switch made the lights flicker but had no effect on the wipers.

Can anybody suggest a check list for finding out what's wrong?

Thanks

:fr:
"O say, does that star spangled banner yet wave? Oer the land of the free and the home of the brave?" It does at my house! God bless America!
bluef250
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by bluef250 »

The wipers are electrically operated. Check the grounds then check the fuse. Let us know what you find.
69rangerman
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

re: Winshield wipers stopped working

Post by 69rangerman »

Thanks bluef250,

Grounds are tight (bulkhead to manifold was actually loose), and fuses are good.

I did notice that when I turned the key to "ACC" position that the lights flickered and there was this electrical shunting sound. Almost like bubbling coming from under the dash area. I left the key on and touched the wiper motor and could feel it vibrate in time with the sound.

Short? The only thing I've messed with in that area was replacing the heater core and taking the blower motor and housing apart.

Does that suggest anything?

Thanks
"O say, does that star spangled banner yet wave? Oer the land of the free and the home of the brave?" It does at my house! God bless America!
kid

Post by kid »

The motor is cooking because the bearings dried/wore out.
Jake11
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Jake11 »

Turn it on. Tap the motor with a large screwdriver handle.
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

did you smell anything like wire burning maybe the gears are stripped.
69rangerman
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by 69rangerman »

I'll try that...but why would it vibrate and make that noise with the wiper switch off? It happens regardless of wether the wipers are turned on or off, and it happens the same if the key is in ACC or ON positions. Sounds and feels like the voltage is trying to go somewhere or do something that involves the wiper circuit.

Thanks
69rangerman
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by 69rangerman »

I did the motor tap thingy with the switch on and nothing happened.

A guy at work suggested I run a jumper from the battery positive to the hot side of the motor to see if that got it working. Good idea?

Thanks
Tim P.
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Tim P. »

Ford Is The Mountain That The Rock fell Off Of.

72 F-250 Camper Special 390 Stroker 419 CID 420 HP Natural Asp 200 HP NOS C-6 Dana 60 4.10
96 F-150 XLT 4X4 5.8 Heavy Duty 4EOD
kid

Re: re: Winshield wipers stopped working

Post by kid »

69rangerman wrote:I did the motor tap thingy with the switch on and nothing happened.

A guy at work suggested I run a jumper from the battery positive to the hot side of the motor to see if that got it working. Good idea?

Thanks
Yep it is a common troubleshooting tip.
69rangerman
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by 69rangerman »

Just checking...would it matter if I disconnected the washer reservoir, removed the cracked tubing and un-hooked the elect. connection to the reservoir?
kid

Post by kid »

No
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

if its running currect through it there could be something else on the circut going bad. if there is anything else on that circut. if it does turn out to be the motor used ones can be had as tim showed. i also have a couple. the ones in the dentsides are the same as ours. but the wiper arms and studs are different. butr those can be changed.
Jake11
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Jake11 »

It's broken. Get another one.