Alternator rebuild....

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

Darrman
Preferred User
Preferred User

Alternator rebuild....

Post by Darrman »

I decided just for the heck of it, to try my hand at rebuilding the alt on my truck.
I pulled it out and had it tested at orielly's, made a hell of a racket when they started spinning it up. It pulled low volts and amps, but still worked.
So I bought new front and rear bearings and new brushes and decided to give it a try, truck is in a million pieces now so not much to lose, lol.
Anyways after a lot of muscle and curses, I have it all apart, the front pulley nut was a bitch and a 1/2 and the rear bearing did not want to leave its home, came out in several pieces before it was over.
However before I start reassembly with the new parts, I noticed one of the little paper/plastic separator pieces is missing from the inner ring of wires. Do I have to have this, I looked around and cant find it anywhere, so if I do, I am screwed.
Thanks!
Heavenlyfire
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

re: Alternator rebuild....

Post by Heavenlyfire »

I don't know if you "have" to have it. If you find out that you do, maybe go to your local pull a part and get a trashed alt for spare parts. I did that when I rebuilt my starter. They only charged me about $5 if I remember right.
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

i think there is something else you have to replace in there besides what you have listed there. maybe the diodes or something like that. the paper your talking about might just be some protective coating paper. i am unsure i have never had a alt apart before.
71 LONG BED
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 71 LONG BED »

I tryed to do mine also. Actually I only got as far as taking it apart. After I broke 2 out of the 3 bolts that held it together, I was able to split the 2 halfs. Then I removed the windings and a whole bunch of springs and small pieces came flying out. Long story short, I bought a new one for $40. :lol: :lol:
John Member #1549
71 F100 Sport Custom__________1967 F350 Gone, but not forgotten
Image Image Image
Darrman
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Darrman »

They are little peices of plastic that slip into the open grooves in the inner ring of magnets? I am no expert so I dont know what they are called.
I have some styrene sheets, i may try to make one from it. I think they are just supposed to be a insulator of some kind.
Since it is a external regulater, all I should need is the brushes and a good cleaning, and since the bearings are shot, replace them too and it should work.
If not I am out $17 and will have learned not to mess with alts, lol.
Darrman
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Darrman »

Update, I finished rebuilding the alt, even gave it a coat of paint to make it look pretty. Then I took it to the oriellys and had em test it, works like a charm now.
Total cost $17 not counting the can of aluminum paint I had laying around
Hardest part, cleaning the damn thing, it was filthy inside and out.
Jake11
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Jake11 »

Good Going! :D :D