F-600 Instrument Cluster Wiring

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

garner67

F-600 Instrument Cluster Wiring

Post by garner67 »

I finally found a nice F-600 instrument cluster that was under $200, so I bought it. Now I need to wire it into my 67 F-250. Here are a couple of pics...

My question is about connecting the speedo and tach. If you look at the back view of the instruement cluster, you'll see a part, which extends from the speedo gauge in the center of the picture. The part that is connected/screwed to the speedo looks like it has a small motor built into it with 2 black leads wired to it.

I find this confusing, and I am wondering if that part attached to the speedo really should be connected to the tach? Wouldn't a mechanical speedo cable connect directly to the speedo gauge? Also, it would make more sense if that small motor on the part is used to turn the tach needle, not the speedo... right?

Who out there has experience installing a F-600 instrument cluster in their bumpside?

Your help is much appreciated.
71 F100
Mike
68F250
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

re: F-600 Instrument Cluster Wiring

Post by 68F250 »

I don't think it's a motor, rather a generator with it's output proportional to speed. The speedo cable would plug into that. What's it for? Donno, did big trucks have cruise controls? Or maybe a speeding sensor? Somebody who knows will chime in.

The tach was driven by a cable from the distributor w/ a tach drive.
Barry

"Are you gonna make it all 220?"
"Yeah 220, 221, whatever it takes."
garner67

Re: re: F-600 Instrument Cluster Wiring

Post by garner67 »

68F250 wrote:I don't think it's a motor, rather a generator with it's output proportional to speed. The speedo cable would plug into that. What's it for? Donno, did big trucks have cruise controls? Or maybe a speeding sensor? Somebody who knows will chime in.
Well that's interesting. I wonder what that little generator is suppose to power on those old big trucks.... if it is a generator. I'd say your guess is as good as any.
68F250 wrote:The tach was driven by a cable from the distributor w/ a tach drive.
Cable-driven tachometer?! Where the heck can I find a distributor with a cable drive, and the cable for that matter?!! Are there even distributors for a 352cid with a tach cable hook up? I doubt anyone makes a new distributor with a cable hook up these days. Sounds like it may be easiest to replace that tach with an aftermarket unit.
71 F100
Mike
71 LONG BED
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 71 LONG BED »

You don't need the little attachment on the back of the speedo. It is for trucks with two speed rears. It corrects the speedo when switched between the gears in the rear. Just screw the speedo cable directly into the speedo.

As for the tach, it is a mechanicle tach. It runs off of the distributor. Unfortunatly you will need a distrbutor that can run a tach and they are very expensive. It can be converted to an electronic tach, but that is a little pricy also. CJ,s 67 F100 did it and it came out pretty cool. Here is a link to the topic of converting the tach. And here is another thread when I went down the same road. :o I ended up just using an after market tach. I had to make a bezel so it fit the dash nicely.
John Member #1549
71 F100 Sport Custom__________1967 F350 Gone, but not forgotten
Image Image Image
jor
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by jor »

John,
That is very nice. How did you make the bezel?
jor
71 LONG BED
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 71 LONG BED »

Thanks! :D I am a machinist and I made it at work. :thup: It's aluminum. I should have taken pics of the back side. It has provisions for the tach to fit into it and accept the mounting screws. I am happy with how it turned out. The blank-off has been replaced with this, too.
:hj: Sorry garner67

John Member #1549
Image Image Image
68F250
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 68F250 »

71 LONG BED wrote:You don't need the little attachment on the back of the speedo. It is for trucks with two speed rears. It corrects the speedo when switched between the gears in the rear. Just screw the speedo cable directly into the speedo.
Ah Ha! Thanks Long Bed, so it's a 2-speed gearbox for the 2-speed rear!
Barry

"Are you gonna make it all 220?"
"Yeah 220, 221, whatever it takes."
garner67

Post by garner67 »

Thanks for all the great info, Long Bed!

I'll definitely convert over to a electric tach. I do like the idea of converting the old tach to an 8k electric tach, but I'll have to think about scraping up enough cash to go for that modification... it's a bit pricey.

Thanks again for posting the links... then again, maybe I should have done a more thorough search first. :wink:
71 LONG BED wrote:You don't need the little attachment on the back of the speedo. It is for trucks with two speed rears. It corrects the speedo when switched between the gears in the rear. Just screw the speedo cable directly into the speedo.

As for the tach, it is a mechanicle tach. It runs off of the distributor. Unfortunatly you will need a distrbutor that can run a tach and they are very expensive. It can be converted to an electronic tach, but that is a little pricy also. CJ,s 67 F100 did it and it came out pretty cool. Here is a link to the topic of converting the tach. And here is another thread when I went down the same road. :o I ended up just using an after market tach. I had to make a bezel so it fit the dash nicely.
71 F100
Mike
garner67

Post by garner67 »

Hey, no worries. Actually, if I decide to go with an aftermarket tach, this info is helpful.

By the way, nice job on your instrument cluster!
71 LONG BED wrote:Thanks! :D I am a machinist and I made it at work. :thup: It's aluminum. I should have taken pics of the back side. It has provisions for the tach to fit into it and accept the mounting screws. I am happy with how it turned out. The blank-off has been replaced with this, too.
:hj: Sorry garner67
71 F100
Mike
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

Ah man! I was gonna post a picture of one of those in the Trivia section, just to see if anyone recognized it. Guess I'd better find something else. :wink:
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
71 LONG BED
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 71 LONG BED »

Shoot, that would have been one I coulda gotten! :doh:
John Member #1549
Image Image Image