Ignition Setup

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

kid

Re: re: Ignition Setup

Post by kid »

68F250 wrote:You really don't want to be painting the cap or adapter, it ruins the dielectric properties.

The big cap & adapter debuted in '77, came on the Duraspark II.
Actually painting the cap with a non conductive paint (Krylon contains no metal in that color) will not effect the dielectric properties of the cap. Basic rules of Electron properties.
layedout72
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by layedout72 »

kid wrote:You prime the engine if it has been apart, not because the dizzy is out. You have the right cap in that pic for the Accel kit.

it got a full rebuild ;) just buttoning up the last bit of things to get it back in the truck.
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

it'll be best to prime it. I think auto zone does have the primer for the ford.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com
kid

Post by kid »

Okay then prime.
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

i meant to say oil pump primer.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com
kid

Post by kid »

No prob I caught it. :)
mljjones67
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

re: Ignition Setup

Post by mljjones67 »

Kid I have the pertronix 1 in my truck. I bought it before I found fordification. What should I look out for and be careful with?? :? :?

:thup: 8) 8)
kid

Post by kid »

They have electronic failure problems and are real partial to having good grounds, Dizzy to block, block to frame, module to Block. If you have a floating ground (not at equal to other ground voltages) it can drive poorly designed electronic switching circuits absolutely nuts.

If you have an Ohm or Multimeter measure Dizzy to block, block to frame and frame to module negative. look for no more than 1 to 2 ohms. Paint and corrosion can cause high resistance. My Accel Points Eliminator has ground wire to solve that problem from the factory.
mljjones67
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by mljjones67 »

layedout72
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by layedout72 »

ACCEL 2020. for ford v8's
kid

Post by kid »

Yep hot deal for price versus quality and longevity.