Ignition Setup

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

layedout72
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

re: Ignition Setup

Post by layedout72 »

so when I go to the parts store, just ask for a points eliminator kit for a 72 f100 302 eh?
layedout72
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by layedout72 »

So I get the Points Eliminator kit, and a duralast coil which should match a stock replacement. Get home...drop the coil, dented, and chipped. DAMNIT! welp, guess that will make a good paper weight.

Anyways, with this kit, can I install it while out of the motor, or does the dizzy need to be setup in the motor?
kid

Post by kid »

The coil is probably still good they have a large space inside before you hit the windings. Take a reading with the multimeter.

You can install on the bench!
layedout72
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by layedout72 »

So I don't need to worry about TDC and all that, just get everything installed and worry about that stuff later? Once I go to put it on the motor with the kit installed..
kid

Post by kid »

Sure build on bench, TDC the motor later and stab the dizzy with # 1 anywhere you like to have it. There have been many a dizzy built on the bench and later installed in my shops. We even set points and line up on a number 1 reference that we marked with paint while building benched dizzys.
layedout72
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by layedout72 »

Well, I learned something today I guess. My stock dizzy used the flat/wide style cap, so I cleaned and painted the "riser"for that style cap to mount to. I go to the parts store, buy the cap they have, its the tall slender kind. I believe HEI style or something to that effect, I may be wrong there though. Well, reguardless....I painted that piece for nothing.

So I am sure, the center of the "rotor" of the Point delete kit, should push against the coil plug part of the cap, correct?
kid

Post by kid »

yes it does,
Can you put a pic of your dizzy on the site?

In 72 that should not have been your cap style. It was not until Duraspark that it came out. In 75 I believe.
layedout72
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by layedout72 »

68F250
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 68F250 »

You really don't want to be painting the cap or adapter, it ruins the dielectric properties.

The big cap & adapter debuted in '77, came on the Duraspark II.
Barry

"Are you gonna make it all 220?"
"Yeah 220, 221, whatever it takes."
layedout72
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by layedout72 »

so why do I have it? lol. Does it "change" anything?
layedout72
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by layedout72 »

alright, so before I do this distributor install, do i need to prime the oil pump? It says in the manual to do so, but I don't think that autozone or any one rents the FORD oil pump primer out, only GM/Chevy. If I do need to do this, this gets oil to the heads and everything correct?
kid

Post by kid »

You prime the engine if it has been apart, not because the dizzy is out. You have the right cap in that pic for the Accel kit.
kid

Re: re: Ignition Setup

Post by kid »

68F250 wrote:You really don't want to be painting the cap or adapter, it ruins the dielectric properties.

The big cap & adapter debuted in '77, came on the Duraspark II.
Actually painting the cap with a non conductive paint (Krylon contains no metal in that color) will not effect the dielectric properties of the cap. Basic rules of Electron properties.
layedout72
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by layedout72 »

kid wrote:You prime the engine if it has been apart, not because the dizzy is out. You have the right cap in that pic for the Accel kit.

it got a full rebuild ;) just buttoning up the last bit of things to get it back in the truck.
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

it'll be best to prime it. I think auto zone does have the primer for the ford.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com