Excellent! Nothing works!

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

averagef250
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Excellent! Nothing works!

Post by averagef250 »

This is a long shot, but I'm searching for ideas to help troubleshoot a '71 F-250. The headlights work, both high and low beams and the taillights work. Absolutely no other light bulb in the truck works. The dash lights don't work, the turn signals don't work. Oh, forgot to mention if I turn the hazzards on, I get the front passenger side signal to blink and that's it. What I've done: Almost everything is new. Every bulb, turn signal switch, headlight switch, brake switch, flasher cans, fuses, etc. The rear of the fuse block is nice and clean, no rust like many of our trucks have. The truck just underwent a frame off every nut and bolt resto so everything has been taken apart. I don't actually know if the lights worked before the truck was torn apart. Also, none of the dash gauges work at all. Frustrating.
1970 F-250 4x4 original Willock swivel frame chassis '93 5.9 Cummins/Getrag/NP205/HP60/D70
Jake11
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

re: Excellent! Nothing works!

Post by Jake11 »

Make shure everything has a good ground. If theres power to it
and it don't work, the ground circuit is bad.
bluef250
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by bluef250 »

Sounds like the circuit breaker for the other lights, not the headlight breaker, in the light switch has tripped. May have short. Or might be a bad switch. Start with grounds and work toward the battery.
averagef250
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by averagef250 »

It was bad grounds and I forgot that I used a '69 firewall to tailight harness. It plugged right in up front, but nothing worked right in the rear. Got the right schematic and it all made sense then.
1970 F-250 4x4 original Willock swivel frame chassis '93 5.9 Cummins/Getrag/NP205/HP60/D70