a few more harness questions....

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

layedout72
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

re: a few more harness questions....

Post by layedout72 »

After looking, it looks to be a huge deal to just do even the motor parts. Maybe not, I will have to look harder. Either way, is there somehow I can test my coil to see if it needs a resistor or not. The box has been tossed, and I want to say it was the "OE Style" one that I bought but I want to make sure before I go and blow something up haha.
kid

Post by kid »

A resistor won't hurt and if OE style not Racer Style then a standard ballast would be fine.
460 crew
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 460 crew »

This is one of the options I was looking at for wiring. You can buy just the box and or their wiring. http://www.enoscustom.com/blackbox.html
1970 4x4 Crewcab build and 12v cummins conversion
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=17179
kid

Post by kid »

That is nice.
layedout72
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by layedout72 »

If it is the OE style, I still need a ballast correct? I really don't want something to short of catch fire or something haha. I really don't like electrical stuff that I don't know about. figured a harness may let me figure it all out if i wired it fully myself. may be too much of an undertaking though.
kid

Post by kid »

You need the resistor wire or a .6 ohm to .75 ohm ballast resistor. A ballast resistor is not just a ceramic high wattage resistor. It changes value slightly with higher temperature caused by higher RPM. This lowers the resistance a little bit to allow the coil to build a hotter spark at RPM.

Without the ballast resistor only the coil will get hot and melt the windings inside the can and cause a short.

Aftermarket ignition systems can do away with the ballast resistor. The way to tell. If the trucik harness hooks to the + side of the coil you need a resistor. If the Ignition Module takes place of the truck's + wire then you don't need a resistor unless the coil says to add one.
layedout72
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by layedout72 »

Well, I am using the stock dizzy, but with the accell 2020 pt. elim. kit. Sorry for all the questions, just don't want any mishaps.
kid

Post by kid »

The Accel kit uses the ballasts wire from the Factory as long as the coil is stock or near Stock (OE)
layedout72
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by layedout72 »

So, long as my coil is OE, I should be fine, and not need anything extra, is what your saying? Ballast wire is the pink wire, correct?
kid

Post by kid »

Yes to both questions.
Jake11
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Jake11 »

Points coils are 6volt. need resistor. The solenoid jacks it to 12volt
to help starting. It will run a while at 12volt, but somethings gotta give.
layedout72
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by layedout72 »

can i test it somehow? voltmeter?
Wes
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Wes »

You are asking if you can test your resister wire?? Yes remove wire from coil ignition in run position, volt meter on 12v volt scale, you should 7 to 9 volts on wire.
Wes

http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?cat=10402
67 F250 High boy
69 Bronco

If you can't see fit to stand behind Our Troops...Please stand in front of them :)
layedout72
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by layedout72 »

maybe we got off track here....

I bought a coil from autozone, supposedly the "OE" style coil. Is there a way to figure if it is a 6 volt, or 12 volt coil? Someone said the stock was a 6 volt? If it is the 6 volt one, im fine, if its 12 volt, i need a resistor...
Wes
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Wes »

for our trucks 67-72 is 12 volt if you bought it for your make model it should be 12volts, you should be able look it up at Autozones web site by part number, if you still have box receipt.
Wes

http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?cat=10402
67 F250 High boy
69 Bronco

If you can't see fit to stand behind Our Troops...Please stand in front of them :)