Help finding short.

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

delaire

Help finding short.

Post by delaire »

I purchased the f250 '70 last week and it seems it run worse the more I work on it. I have had a non-charging system since I got the truck. Took the alternator out and tested on the bench, it was good. Purhased a new regulator and fried it when I found a short just at the plug for the harness. Now tested field circuit before installing regulator and there were 70 something ohms which means an open circuit somewhere. Short finding 101, pulled all the fuses with a volt meter between the battery and ground. Nothing changed the reading. Doesn't seem to be more than one fuse box. Anybody out there with esp. Short of that, all idea welcome.
ToughOldFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

re: Help finding short.

Post by ToughOldFord »

It's hard to figure these kinds of problems without actually being there. :o
But for starters, yes that is the only fuse box.
One way to check for shorts or broken circuits after all fails, checking connections, tracing wires, cleaning grounds, etc., is to disconnect your battery, (both cables) and then jump the positive side to the wire your checking, (be certain it's not a ground), and then put your circuit tester clamp on the negative side of your battery. Then you'll be able to back track each wire/circuit by following the continuity in the wire with your circuit tester until you find where it ends or until you find it feeding a circuit/wire it shouldn't be feeding.
kid

Post by kid »

70 ohms is not an open. Was the requlator hooked up when you read that. The reg uses resistors to control the relays. Other than that you are reading 70 ohms from where to where?