Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

kaptnkaos
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Question about wiper switches...

Post by kaptnkaos »

hey guys...

I wanna get some thoughts before I try this.
I am thinking of using the exisiting wiper switches on Olde Skool to power some ceramic heaters for defrosters.
I found some intermittent wiper switches that I wanna use on the bus. However, they won't fit where the existing wiper switches are located. so I will have to relocate the wiper switches.
I was thinking since I already have two of these switches, that I might be able to use them to control some ceramic heaters. Using the wiper switches would give me a high and a low heat control, otherwise I am gonna have to get some three way switches.

thanks for your input...
KaptnKAOS
Washington...The land where rust is like the family pet...Ya learn to live with it and clean up after its mess... KaptnKAOS

"Olde Skool" '68 Ford Bluebird short bus
"FRODO" '68 F-250 Camper Special project
Wes
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Wes »

How many amps do the heaters draw @ 12 volts ???
Then compare that to the draw from the 70 bump wiper motor you swiped them from. if it's close sure.
I think a 3 position switch w/ a blower motor resistor block might suit your needs better.
Wes

http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?cat=10402
67 F250 High boy
69 Bronco

If you can't see fit to stand behind Our Troops...Please stand in front of them :)
72hiboy4x4
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic
Location: As far away as I can be from Wa state, without crossing the Mississippi

Post by 72hiboy4x4 »

I would definately wire them thru a relay system!
IIRC, the heaters are going to pull a bunch more juice then the switches are rated for, and you don't want those high amperage wires any longer that neccessary.
In life many men take the path of righteousness, some take the path many others follow (G.M. owners, for example), some take a more arduous path, some a simpler path. I, sir, took the PSYCO-PATH!!
kaptnkaos
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

re: Question about wiper switches...

Post by kaptnkaos »

I'm not sure what the amperage draw on the heaters are yet, but they are the ones that plug into the cig lighter so I wouldn't expect them to draw that much. The cig lighter and dome lights are on a 15 amp circuit.
The bus has two separate wiper switches and two separate wiper motors (one of each side of the windshield) that operate independantly.
I was planning on using a dedicated circuit for the each ceramic heater.
Getting differant switches isn't a problem if I need to do that. I just wanna be able to use the orignal bump style knobs so everything still looks pretty much stock orginal.

Thanks for you input...
KaptnKAOS
Washington...The land where rust is like the family pet...Ya learn to live with it and clean up after its mess... KaptnKAOS

Wes
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Wes »

Wiper motors normally run a 20- 25 amp fuse so those switches will prob do what ya need.
Wes

http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?cat=10402
67 F250 High boy
69 Bronco

If you can't see fit to stand behind Our Troops...Please stand in front of them :)
kaptnkaos
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

re: Question about wiper switches...

Post by kaptnkaos »

Hey Wes,

I have been doing some research regarding the wiper switch wiring...
I have all the original wiring diagrams for '68 F-100 thru F-750 trucks,
they all have basically the same circuits.
I was hoping to be able to use the diagrams to see what circuits the bus's wiper switches are on, but the bus wiper circuits are different than the Ford truck ones, so they aren't covered in F-500 wiring diagrams.
I figured I'd just have to turn the wipers on and start pullin' fuses until they quit. Otherwise, I'm gonna have a lot of tape to remove to trace the wires down.
I am gonna pull up the archives on installing the intermittent wiper relays in a standard bump truck and see what I'm gonna need to do make them work on the bus.
The windshield washer pump is on a separate switch, so I don't even have to worry about that one. I could actually use the new switch's washer power feed to power the pump (right now, there isn't a power wire going to the pump and the pump needs to be replaced).
When I install the ceramic heaters, I'm gonna run a new circuit for them, so that won't be a problem.

Take care,
KaptnKAOS