4x4 tune up?

4x4 & Off-road Forum Archives

Moderator: Doug Comer

Eric Fuess

4x4 tune up?

Post by Eric Fuess »

what should I do to maintainaince the 4x4 and suspension anything? I would like to replace any bushings that typicaly wear out any suggestions? the truck has 270000 miles and is a 4 speed how do you greese those softball sized knuckles anyway ?
heep70
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

re: 4x4 tune up?

Post by heep70 »

There are alot of different methods people use to grease the knuckles. Some pump them full of grease and some use heavy gear oil. One guy told me to mix gear grease and bearing grease to make a very thick lub that won't leak past the seals. The biggest thing is that water doen't get into the trunion bearings.

As far as anything else to replace? Check it out, if it looks bad or wore out. Replace it. Tie rod ends might be a good thing to look at. Check the wheel bearings. Check the transfer case mounts. They sometimes are in need of new mounting pads.
Greg

1971 F250 "Highboy". SOLD to "Highboy_Firefighter_71"
2000 Subaru Outback limited.
2000 F250 4X4 PSD SuperDuty Crew.
2010 Polaris 800RMK Dragon 155"
2013 Polaris Pro 800 RMK 163"
1980 Built Toyota "Trail Rig".
My last 1971 "Highboy" pics
Eric Fuess

Post by Eric Fuess »

What a releif, thanks for the info this is the first 4x4 I have had since highschool and it was a 1977 F-150 I just got a jc whitney and I hope to order some of those bushings and I hope some interrior stuff, your truck is awsome by the way, cabin too looks like a dream come true nice goin! Oh yea I was wondering about that shock absorber under the front bumper on your steering I saw in one of your pictures, I looked at mine and it dosent have one but there is a vacant bracket there? How can I get some of those cool white mags I see on some of these trucks and how much should they cost?
Faithful Old Road Dog
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Faithful Old Road Dog »

You're close enough to a 4 Wheel Parts store. They should have a steering stabilizer. Are you talking about the white "wagon" wheels? Those are pretty inexpensive. Probably $50 a pop.