Aux tank fuel filler hose

Moderator: FORDification

fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

i dont think one was ever put in from the factory. but im not an expert on this subject.
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

re: Aux tank fuel filler hose

Post by FORDification »

Back several years ago I began a search for one of these filler hoses for my '67, and there was an on-going thread here on the forums. However, that particular thread apparently was on the receiving end of a post pruning during a past clean-up...so it was lost. However, I just spend the last hour going through my old database backups and was able to find the posts in that thread, so I'm posting it here as an effort to re-archive it and to possibly help you out:

==================================================
FORDification wrote:Aux. fuel tank filler hose needed

Over the next week or so I'm going to be on a quest to try to track down the rubber filler neck hose for an in-frame 25-gallon auxiliary fuel tank, as shown in this photo. I have to first try to track down a part number and then start contacting all the vendors to see if anyone has one on a shelf. I hit the local parts store but wasn't impressed with what they had. Their replacement hose was ribbed and VERY stiff. It would work just fine for the in-cab tank, since there aren't any bends in the factory piece (it would just look a little different), but this auxiliary tank hose takes a rather sharp turn right where it attaches to the tank, and I don't think the parts store piece will make that sharp of a bend. Plus the hose has to be squished down into an oval where it goes over the frame (between the frame and the bed when installed)...the parts store replacement MIGHT be able to be flattened out enough to fit in there, but......

Mine is in decent (almost useable) shape, but if anyone has any leads as to where to track a better one down, please let me know.Image
==============================================
68F250 wrote:Hey good luck Keith! I think I bought the last nos hose from Ford back in '94. The section that squeezes between the frame and bed has an oval shaped aluminum sleeve or collar slipped over it to keep the hose oval and to protect it from scuffing. There's also a strip of HD tape wrapped around that. One side of the collar has a protruding lip that's bent over and wrapes around the top edge of the frame rail. I'd take a pic but it's dark and raining outside. It's too bad 'cause the part number is taped around that sleeve too. Sorry I can't find the invoice either (boy he's a lot of help). Anyway, it was a dealer item only and haven't heard of anyone being successful at finding a replacement. I know you will be able to come up with an alternative but it will be a custom job. I'll get a pic this weekend, it's suppose to be in the 80's :) Good luck again!

Barry
????? wrote:If you find one, I could use one also. Might check with Sanderson's Ford in Phoenix, I think my brother got one there couple years ago when he installed auxiliary tank.
FORDification wrote:I've got that thin aluminum sleeve...when I grabbed the tank, I also got everything else, all the hardware, etc. I figured I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. ;)

Yeah, I didn't really figure I was gonna have much luck finding this hose. I thought I remembered reading a thread in another truck forum where someone was looking for one of these and wasn't having any luck...but I thought what the heck...I might get lucky.

FoMoCo wrote:Keith. I've been robbing parts from an original flat wood bed 67 here in down town Cincinnati. It has the complete under bed fuel tank you mention. I'll try to check down there over winter break.

Nick Wilson
===============================================
4x4x4crewcab wrote:Keith

Check your email
bryantracing460 wrote:Are you gonna cut a whole in the side of your bed?
FORDification wrote:Mark: Got the e-mail! Thanks, buddy! I really appreciate the help in getting the part number. The part number you gave me (C8TZ.9047.F) was verified by Boss Auto Parts as the correct number. Unfortunately, they don't have one. I also got an e-mail back from BlueOval6079.com and they don't have one either. I'm still waiting for replies back from a couple other possible sources. :pray:

FoMoCo: From the e-mail from Mark where he was giving me the rundown of the part numbers, it seems that the hose used on factory flatbed trucks had a different part number than that for fleetside pickups. I'm not sure what the difference would be, but I'd imagine it would be a lot shorter, since it didn't have to reach to the same height as the fleetside version. At the very least if you could measure the length of the hose on your parts truck so I could compare it to mine, that would be great. Thanks for the offer. It's possible that if it's good shape, I could maybe splice two hoses together to get one good one.

bryantracing460: Yes, I'll be cutting a hole in the same factory position above the beltline of the bed to mount the filler tube, and then welding up the filler hole in the cab, since that tank will be removed completely.
4x4x4crewcab wrote:Keith

It must be the length. As I sit back now (not half asleep) reading my notes from the email. The fleetside pickup style hose (like yours) must be the longest of all that were listed. Both the flatbed, platform, cab&chassis style (C8TZ-9047-B) and the 131 W.B. step side listing (C8TZ-9047-D) for the 1968 applications are both replaced to the C8TZ.9047.F you need and it only makes sense to replace those to a longer hose that can be cut down. By the way what is the total length of the hose for your application

If you can't find the measurment of the platform, flatbed style call the place with the C7TZ.9047.A I mentioned (as it was also listed for that application but only for a 1967) and ask them to measure it. If you end up with no other choices maybe it can be made to work?
FORDification wrote:My hose is 18" long (following the curves) and is 2.25" in diameter.

I'd imagine you're right. I wish I had a picture of a factory flatbed so I could at least try to get a visual of how the hose would have been routed. Anyway, it's seems to me that the curved tank end of the hose would be the same, since it would still have to clear the bottom of the flatbed, but where it goes after that is the unknown.

I'll be calling the source you gave me to give them a try. Thanks again. :D
FORDification wrote:SUCCESS!! :woohoo:

Well, kinda sorta.....

Green Sales Company of Cincinnati, OH was the source given to me by Mark to contact. I spoke with one of their sales reps who said they have 170,000 parts in stock, and they did have ONE MORE of these hoses on their shelves....for $25.00. Couldn't turn that down! :D

There's still a slight question whether this will be the correct one, though. They had the C8TZ-9047-A piece only....so I guess I'm gonna find out just how close it is to what I needed, but based on what Mark was able to find out in the parts book, I believe it will be what I'm looking for. I just ordered it so I should have it Monday or Tuesday, and I'll update this thread when it comes in.

Thanks again, Mark! :thup:
FORDification wrote:Hmmmmm.....just saw an auction on E-bay for the gas tank door for 87-91 Ford truck:

Are you thinking what I'm thinking? This would virtually eliminate the possible problems with the hose being too short...I'd have to cut it anyway to use this. But it would line right up. Of course, the filler door would have to be located below the beltline instead of above it, but that would simply mean I wouldn't have the filler tube shield in the bed of my truck. And it would DEFINITELY clean up the outside of the bed. Once again....hmmmmm

I'm gonna watch this auction. Yeah, I could get one of these at the junkyard, but this one's already removed. 8) Actually, I DO already have a pair of doors similar to this one, but they were removed from a mid-70\'s Chebby truck (one for each side), and I kinda like the idea of keeping EVERYTHING all Ford. :wink:

(oops...I think this thread might be getting just a bit off-topic...oh well.)
FoMoCo wrote:Wow Keith. Green Sales is right down the street from me. I usually stayout of that building because it's rich mans country. I didnt think anything in there was under 100 dollars.

Nick
4x4x4crewcab wrote:
FORDification wrote:There's still a slight question whether this will be the correct one, though. They had the C8TZ-9047-A piece only
Keith, I don't remember that number as one of the options? could it be C7TZ.9047.A they had---- Hope it works--my head is on the chopping block now. :pray:
FORDification wrote:Whoops...you're right, it was the C7TZ-9047-A they had. My fault for typing it wrong.
4x4x4crewcab wrote:Keith did you ask them for a rough measurment in length?
FoMoCo wrote:I usually stayout of that building because it's rich mans country. I didnt think anything in there was under 100 dollars.

That place has lots parts and your right they usually know what it is worth.They have many parts under a 100 and they also stock some of the dennis carpenter reproduction stuff. I think I see there name come up on at least 75% of the searches I run. Most of the time they are a little higher on price than other obsolete dealers. One plus is they usually have more than one and if a person needs multiple quantity of something it will save you on shipping to buy from one place. These freight and cod charges are nuts anymore and sometimes you just don't have a chance.
FoMoCo wrote:Yes, they are networked all over the country with such suppliers. I know they have another big house in Georgia.

Nick
FORDification wrote:
4x4x4crewcab wrote:Keith did you ask them for a rough measurment in length?
No I didn't....at the moment I was happy they even had it. I guess I'll find out when it gets here if I jumped the gun. :pray:
4x4x4crewcab wrote:Did you get the hose? is it close? Is my name mud?----Hope it worked fine. :hmm:
FORDification wrote:Yes, I got it....sorry I forgot to update this thread. The C7TZ-9047-A hose is 1-1/2" shorter that what I had....which must have been the "F" version. As we predicted, the curved end is the same...the missing chunk is at the other end where it connects to the bedside's filler tube. The neat thing is that it also came with the aluminum wear pad already taped to it.

I think I can make it work. My original hose had a VERY small crack right where the hose clamp would have held the hose to the tank. The other end is still good, though the whole hose is very stiff. I might end up having to just splice the two together, which shouldn't be that difficult. I'll post a pic of a side-by-side comparison of the two in the near future, just for reference sake.
????? wrote:1 1/2 on the bed side end? Have you decided what you will use for the gas door,tube etc... I know at one time you were looking at a later style that was cut from a box. If something like this is used the hose may reach?

There are many vehicle applications that use a plastic inner cup type pocket maybe something like this will pickup the difference in the hose length.
FORDification wrote:Yeah, I'm thinking I might just go ahead and go with the late-model gas door assembly, so it WOULD reach in far enough, I believe. I was actually about 50-50 on whether or not to do this, though. I was kinda thinking that the higher filler tube location would reduce or eliminate fuel spillage when parked on an incline or turning a sharp corner. The late-model assembly would have to be mounted lower though, so I'm back where I started.

Oh well...I have some time before I get to work on the box, so I have some time to investigate all alternatives. :D
FORDification wrote:OK, finally got my butt in gear and took this comparison shot. The older hose is my original, the newer hose is the C7TZ-9047-A version. Decided to post it here for anyone researching this down the road:

____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
Supermike
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Supermike »

THANKS KEITH!! :thup: :thup:
The section that squeezes between the frame and bed has an oval shaped aluminum sleeve or collar slipped over it to keep the hose oval and to protect it from scuffing. There's also a strip of HD tape wrapped around that.
That confirms what I saw! Unfortunately, I'm not sure the shop that cleaned out my tank and replaced my hose saved the sleeve! :doh: I hate it when people take shortcuts on stuff, but I didn't have time to try to attempt it myself.

:fr:
Former owner of a '67 F100 Camper Special
Current owner of a '06 F150 King Ranch 4x4 SuperCrew
Faltura

Post by Faltura »

WOW ! Now I see what I'm in for.

Thanks for the update
willfordtruck

Post by willfordtruck »

You can get a straight piece of hose with the right diameter from Napa Auto parts. However, it doesn't have the tank-side bend. I tried the straight hose cut to size, but it sure kinks the hose. Any way to form a rubber hose once it is made (put the bend in it after the fact)?

Another possible solution is to get some kind of metallic elbow that can be joined to. Anybody out there who could fab such a piece?

Will
SteveC
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by SteveC »

as much as i hate to refer some one to them lmc has it like a above post said i used one of theirs when i added the aux tank to my truck it came with the metal sleve as well
I don't really care about brands Chevy Ford Dodge ...as long as it doesn't sound like two old dudes farting in a coffee can.
http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u223/imabaka70/ Projects listed on the left side

WOOOT!! i passed my mechanics classes. Now working as a mechanic and waiting to go for my ASE certifications.

1967 f-100 4x4
1969/72 f100 351w EFI m5r2 5 speed
1988 ford f150 xlt lariat
1961 VW Beetle (wifes car)
willfordtruck

Post by willfordtruck »

I called LMC last Friday and talked to a grumpy sales person. I gave her a description and factory part numbers (C8TZ 9047-F & D1TZ 9047-C). We don't carry that.. Perhaps I needed their part number or a special blessing from the pope?
kaptnkaos
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by kaptnkaos »

I wonder if a guy could use some pvc pipe to fab that middle piece and just clamp the rubber hose on each end...

Just a thought...

KaptnKA 8) S
Washington...The land where rust is like the family pet...Ya learn to live with it and clean up after its mess... KaptnKAOS

"Olde Skool" '68 Ford Bluebird short bus
"FRODO" '68 F-250 Camper Special project
SteveC
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by SteveC »

yeah you need their part numbers its on this page...listed as for 70-72 but it worked fine for my 67... http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/fb/full.asp?page=85

the reason i donlt like using them for my old ford is that they swear up and down that their parts are the correct ones...but twice now i have had a fight with them on parts. the tranny gasket for my cm and the rear brake hose. both times they swore that they gave me the right part and it was my fault they didnt fit.

But anyway that hose they sent worked fine on mine. From now on for parts i go through National parts depo.

THough i still have to use lmc for my silveradeo.
I don't really care about brands Chevy Ford Dodge ...as long as it doesn't sound like two old dudes farting in a coffee can.
http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u223/imabaka70/ Projects listed on the left side

WOOOT!! i passed my mechanics classes. Now working as a mechanic and waiting to go for my ASE certifications.

1967 f-100 4x4
1969/72 f100 351w EFI m5r2 5 speed
1988 ford f150 xlt lariat
1961 VW Beetle (wifes car)
Supermike
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Supermike »

I had the same problem with them and an antenna I ordered. Had to send it back.
Former owner of a '67 F100 Camper Special
Current owner of a '06 F150 King Ranch 4x4 SuperCrew
willfordtruck

Post by willfordtruck »

Thanks for the heads up. I went online and found the part. This is a new item for them. Glad it is available. :)

Will
codyman

Re: Aux tank fuel filler hose

Post by codyman »

Hoping to revive this old thread. The midship tank hose on my '68 F250 CS Ranger 390 is getting pretty bad. Anyone have any luck finding a new one and/or properly modifying that later 70s one that is too short?
Zorm
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: Aux tank fuel filler hose

Post by Zorm »

bringing up an old thread, what's the best or easiest way to get that filler pipe in the rubber grommet for the bed? bought one from LMC and when I was trying to fit it in the bed opening, it kept cracking where the metal would sit in it. Gonna get one from Denis Carp. but just seeing if anyone has a method to get the pipe back through the gromet.

On a note about the filler hose, I got one from Denis Carp. and it came with a metal piece bent around it where it sits between the bed and the frame, my old one had that to.
1971 F250 Camper Special, family owned since 1972
1983 Cherokee, last of the big ones, bought in Italy, family owned since 1998
1965 Corvair Corsa Convertible, 140 engine, 4 speed.

HE guides my path, forgives me when I stray and lights my life