Help identify turn signal and neutral switch (Follow Up #1)

Electrical and Wiring Forum Archives
dcbullet
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Help identify turn signal and neutral switch (Follow Up #1)

Post by dcbullet »

Hi!

I received the following parts from NPD but I think they sent me the wrong parts! :hmm:

I have a 68 F-100

Turn signal switch NPD sent me (can't tell from the picture but the central plastic part is light blue:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v338/ ... G_0173.jpg

Picture from Blue Oval Truck Parts for 1969.5 - 1972 turn signal switch:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v338/ ... gnal69.jpg

Looks the same huh?

Here is there picture of the 1965 - 1969.5 turn signal switch:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v338/ ... l65-69.jpg

A little different.

Now for the neutral safety switch NPD sent me:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v338/ ... G_0172.jpg

This part per the Blue Oval Truck Parts site:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v338/ ... Column.jpg

Doesn't look a damn bit like it! :roll:

I don't have the original part to compare to.

Would you agree they sent me the wrong parts??
Last edited by dcbullet on Sun May 01, 2005 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

re: Help identify turn signal and neutral switch

Post by willowbilly3 »

NPD sent you some sort of transmission mounted nuetral safetry switch. The switch from Blue oval seems to be the correct nuetral safety switch the bolts to the steering colum. (also operates the backup lights). The turn signal switch may work. The only difference between the early and late is the color on a couple of the wires. With a little help from a wiring diagram (or a couple hours of experimenting and head scratching) you can interchange the early and late signal switches just by switching a couple wires in the connector.
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
dcbullet
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: re: Help identify turn signal and neutral switch

Post by dcbullet »

willowbilly3 wrote:NPD sent you some sort of transmission mounted nuetral safetry switch. The switch from Blue oval seems to be the correct nuetral safety switch the bolts to the steering colum. (also operates the backup lights). The turn signal switch may work. The only difference between the early and late is the color on a couple of the wires. With a little help from a wiring diagram (or a couple hours of experimenting and head scratching) you can interchange the early and late signal switches just by switching a couple wires in the connector.
Thanks for the help. Yes, I'm sure I could make it work, but it's kind of irritating when you spend good money :$$: for new parts and they don't send you what you ordered!

Thanks again.
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

re: Help identify turn signal and neutral switch

Post by willowbilly3 »

Yeah, I hear you. I have gotten good parts right over the counter but in general, if it doesn't come from Ford you can expect something less than oem quality and fit.
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
dcbullet
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

re: Help identify turn signal and neutral switch (Follow Up

Post by dcbullet »

Ok, I have the right part now for the neutral / back up light switch

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v338/ ... G_0199.jpg

From the wiring diagram, I can tell that the 2 red w/blue stripe wires are the neutral safety switch. I believe that the wiring diagram shows the wiring schematic for the manual transmission back up light rather than this switch, because I can't find the diagram for the back up light for this switch. But in any case, I can surmise that the purple w/ orange and black w/ white wires are for the backup lights.

This connection should plug into a corresponding connection with 3 female and 1 male connections. However, I don't seem to have that. I think that these might be the right wires:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v338/ ... G_0198.jpg

So I have a few questions.

1. Do you think these are the right wires?
2. There isn't a corresponding purple w/orange and black w/white wire here, but I don't know if there should be or if these black w/ red wires are correct. Could someone check on theirs?
3. If these are correct, are the connectors available on the aftermarket so I can rewire it in?
4. Do you know what size bolts hold the switch on the stearing column?

Any other advice appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
68F250
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 68F250 »

Yes, the red/blue stripe wires are for the neutral safety switch and the black/red stripe wires are for the backup lights. Thing I don't understand is why are your backup lights wired together? They would be on all the time. Another thing, there is a black wire that you're missing that should be tied to one of your black/red stripe wires. Do your turn signals work? What year is your truck?
Barry

"Are you gonna make it all 220?"
"Yeah 220, 221, whatever it takes."
dcbullet
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by dcbullet »

Thanks for the response 68F250!

In reponse to your question as to why the wire are the way they are, I can't answer that. I've only owned the truck for 3 weeks. When I bought the truck, I knew that the wiring was all buggered up and I was OK with that because I want to learn how all that works and fix it. I have some decent experience with all components of a vehicle exept for the electrical and I'm bound and determined to learn.

So, the reverse lights are currently not on all the time, but that could be because the wires in back are messed up as well. :lol: . When I bought the truck, there was a wire that went from the brake light switch, through the rear window, and back to to the reverse lights. The prior owner had put red tape over the reverse lights and was using them as the brake lights. :hmm: :doh: :lol:

So, first thing I did was get the correct brake lights working, which they do now. The turn signals do not work either. When you push the break pedal and put on the left turn signal, the 4-ways flash. :D

So I'm planning for the turn signals to be my next project after I get the neutral safety and rear lights working. That switch was missing altogether. I figured I would do that first since I thought that the reverse lights don't go through the turn signal switch and would be an easier project.

Anyways, looks like I need to attach a new connector (3 female and 1 male)? What is the other black wire for? I might be able to find it up under the dash. How does it connect into this part of the harness if there is only a 4 wire connector? :hmm: If it's possible to post a picture, that would be great.

It's a 68 F100
68F250
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 68F250 »

you're welcome but boy you got a job ahead!

Your neutral safety switch wires are twisted together so you can start your truck. The backup lights, well that I don't know.

Attached is a wiring diagram for your '68. The connector labeled 'U' (to the left of the foot dimmer switch) is for the combo neutral safety/backup light switch. What you are seeing is a jumper plug used on the manual transmission trucks. The automatic transmission trucks have the combo switch plugged in there. As you can see, the manual transmission trucks have the backup light switch outside the cab, the automatic transmission trucks have a jumper on that connector instead (hope this makes sense.)

The top two positions of the connector are the neutral safety switch, the bottom two positions are the backup light switch. See the third position down, it has an extra (black) wire going into the back of the connector and ties to one of black/red stripe wires. This black wire supplies power to the windshield wiper switch and the turn signal flasher.

I'll try to get a pic tomorrow but it's kind of buried up under the dash, I hate hanging wires.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Barry

dcbullet
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: re: Help identify turn signal and neutral switch (Follow

Post by dcbullet »

68F250 wrote:Attached is a wiring diagram for your '68. The connector labeled 'U' (to the left of the foot dimmer switch) is for the combo neutral safety/backup light switch. What you are seeing is a jumper plug used on the manual transmission trucks. The automatic transmission trucks have the combo switch plugged in there. As you can see, the manual transmission trucks have the backup light switch outside the cab, the automatic transmission trucks have a jumper on that connector instead (hope this makes sense.)

The top two positions of the connector are the neutral safety switch, the bottom two positions are the backup light switch. See the third position down, it has an extra (black) wire going into the back of the connector and ties to one of black/red stripe wires. This black wire supplies power to the windshield wiper switch and the turn signal flasher.

I'll try to get a pic tomorrow but it's kind of buried up under the dash, I hate hanging wires.
Barry, you don't know how much that helped. Your post makes perfect sense. I have the wiring diagram but I never realized that the "U" connector on the diagram was coming from the Neutral Switch. I guess if you are a newbie at wiring diagrams it's a little hard if they don't label where the connector comes from! :doh:

My wipers do work, but only when the headlight switch is pulled out :roll: , so I'm guessing that is where the black wire is currently wired into.

A couple of follow ups:

1. Anybody know what size the bolts (I'm assuming they aren't sheet metal screws) are that hold the nuetral safety switch on? I don't have them.
2. Can you get the 3 female / 1 maile connectors at a hardware store? Please remember this is my first wiring job so I don't know the "sources" yet.
3. If anyone can post a picture, I'd be interested in seeing how those 2 wires come together and are connected to the one slot in the connector.

Thanks again for the excellent help! :D
68F250
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 68F250 »

Ok here's a few pics. The harness was tucked up so I disconnected it and pulled down the ends. Boy those connectors are hard, don't ask me to do that again. :D The connector on the left goes to the column switch, the one on the right goes to the wiring harness. The column switch is in the 'Park' position.

I don't know where you could get those connectors, cut them off a junker. Sorry I forgot to get the bolt size. :(
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Barry

dcbullet
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by dcbullet »

That's a huge help!

Junker is what I'm thinking too. I have the time to hit a couple yards this weekend because my SO will be in Vegas.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again.

:)
dcbullet
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by dcbullet »

So um...I have a confession to make. While I was trying to find that "missing" black wire tonight, I saw waaaaaayyyy up there the connector. :lol: Thanks to your help barry I knew what I was looking for. So as soon as get some bolts I'll see if this thing works! Pretty confident that the nuetral safety will. The reverse lights.... :dk:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v338/ ... nector.jpg
dcbullet
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by dcbullet »

Got the neutral safety switch working. Thanks for your help. Back up lights don't work but I'm still working on the overall wiring problems with the truck.

It's fun.
68F250
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 68F250 »

Good deal! :thup:

I kinda had a hunch the backup lights weren't gonna work since the wires were already twisted together.

Happy hunting!
Barry