Ignition switch.....

Electrical and Wiring Forum Archives
heep70
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

re: Ignition switch.....

Post by heep70 »

Do you live near a locksmith? I had all three of my locks rebuilt for $40 and that imcluded three new keys. They work like new. :D As far as the ignition switch, buy a new one from the auto store. They do not come with key barrels. You have to use the one you have now. Now you don't have to wait for shipping and if it goes bad you get it replaced the same day. 8)
Greg

1971 F250 "Highboy". SOLD to "Highboy_Firefighter_71"
2000 Subaru Outback limited.
2000 F250 4X4 PSD SuperDuty Crew.
2010 Polaris 800RMK Dragon 155"
2013 Polaris Pro 800 RMK 163"
1980 Built Toyota "Trail Rig".
My last 1971 "Highboy" pics
crazy larry

Post by crazy larry »

thanks Greg. never crossed my mind to check out the locksmiths.....

and i'll see about the ign. at the parts place. :wink:
Larry

'72 F-250 Kustom 396 c.i.
Fotoes
dcbullet
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by dcbullet »

I have a similar problem with my accessory power wire (green/black) losing contact and so my blinkers, windshield wipers, gauges, heater fan, stop working. I have to get under there and move the wire around until it gets contact again.

I too was thinking of changing the ingnition switch. My question is how are those wires hooked up to the switch? Since the switch comes without wires, I asume I have to use my existing wiring harness. Given that, I wonder if I can just dissassemble and reassemble the wires to get better contact, or if there is something internal to the switch itself that is worn out?

Any thoughts?
crazy larry

Post by crazy larry »

the back of the switch is a hard plastic lug that the wiring plugs into. I'd imagine you might just have a loose wire, I think a bad switch would cause you to loose everything. motor and all. or it's possible that the lug for the accessories is bad.
it's easy enough to remove, unscrewing the ign. switch bezel is the hard part, I used a pair of fine tip needle nose pliers to get it started, careful not to booger it up... I do believe they do make a proper tool to do that with though.... the ign wiring plug just pops out if i remember correctly..?.... might be a clip jobby.. :? . I can't believe theres not a pic or diagram on this site???? :eek:
Larry

'72 F-250 Kustom 396 c.i.
Fotoes