Dennis Carpenter radiator support frame mounts on an F250?

Moderator: FORDification

robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Dennis Carpenter radiator support frame mounts on an F250?

Post by robroy »

Good morning,

Yesterday my pa Hugh and I removed one of the original radiator support frame mounts by grinding through the top metal surface until it came apart and fell off.

Then we cracked open the Dennis Carpenter radiator support mount box to see how well they fit, and they look pretty different from the stock ones. Here's a photo of the D.C. kit from their catalog:

Their catalog mentions that although they sell the part for the F100, the part can be adapted to the F250 by adding extra washers. I sent them an e-mail to ask for more details about this, and heard back that I should add in enough washers to make sure the new pads are the exact same height as the stock ones.

Knowing this, I carefully measured the stock pads at 1 and 5/8" each (the distance between the top and bottom metal surfaces, inclusive).

Here's the stock pad on the driver's side. This isn't the one Hugh and I removed, but it gives a detailed view of how the pad looks from the top:

Here's a side view of the pad Hugh and I removed (the passenger's side pad):

Here's the pad right after removal. The top piece is in my hand and the bottom piece is resting on the frame. Note that the ring protruding from the center of the top piece fits in that hole in the frame.

Here's the same pad with the top piece placed in the hole in the frame. Note that the metal surface is gone from the very top since we ground it off (you can see marks in the rubber from the grinder).

Here's the metal surface of the bottom piece; it's untouched by our grinding.

Here the top piece is resting in the frame as it's normally installed, and the bottom piece is held in the orientation it's installed in. You can see how a chunk of the metal from the top piece is still lodged in the bottom piece.

Now here's a comparison between the top piece (inverted to show the protruding ring that fits in the frame hole) and the D.C. piece--they look quite different don't they?

And here are a couple photos of the hardware in the D.C. kit.

Since the frame pads themselves have smaller bolt holes and lack the protruding rubber ridge, I don't see any good way to keep them centered on the frame.

Has anybody had success with this kit on an F250?

Thanks very much!
-Robroy
robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by robroy »

Good morning,

I spoke with a gentleman at Dennis Carpenter this morning and heard that their kit is a semi-generic replacement that fits lots of models, which explains why it doesn't have the ridge in the middle to keep it centered.

He advised me to just eyeball it and try to get it in the middle, and that once installed it probably won't scoot around much. But since there's nothing holding it in the center of the frame other than the friction of the rubber surfaces, I can imagine it scooting back in a minor fender bender and smashing the radiator in to the fan pretty easily.

Meanwhile, I've discovered a part illustration from John's F-Fun Hundreds that appears to depict a much closer match to what our trucks came with. Here it is (on the left):

I mailed jfun100@aol.com to see if they have this part available, to find out where it's made, and to see if it really does match what the trucks came with. Maybe I'll make a call a little later on; it seems like most vendors are kind of unresponsive to e-mail.

-Robroy
robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Dennis Carpenter radiator support frame mounts on an F250?

Post by robroy »

I finally reached John's F-Fun Hundreds's on the phone and heard that the kit is actually a universal type, despite the illustration on their site. So it looks like I'm stuck using the Dennis Carpenter universal kit I already ordered!

At least I'm glad I didn't return it after seeing that nice illustration of exactly what I was looking for on John's F-Fun Hundreds.

-Robroy
robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by robroy »

These mounts went together pretty easily in the end. It didn't turn out to be a very big deal that they didn't have the protrusion in the center that stuck down in the frame hole.

The link under this image goes to a high resolution version with a wider perspective.

http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/IMG_4120z.JPG

Robroy
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

I wouldn't worry too much about the lack of a shoulder on the rubber pad. In the event of a collision, I seriously doubt whether a small piece of rubber is going to give any kind of support at all.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
fireguywtc
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fireguywtc »

Robroy, I agree with Keith, the rubber shoulders were proabably used more for alignment rather then support. Once you have the entire front end put together, your support will be from the inner and out fenders making the link between your radiator support and the cab. I ordered the same kit a while back and will be hopefully putting it to use soon. I am glad it works well.
Bill
1967 F-250 LWB 2WD 352 V8, 4spd manual, true duals, 122k original miles (currently being restored)
1970 F-250 4x4 highboy ranger 390 V8, 4spd
2012 F-350 PSD FX4 LWB CC lariat, white
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... hp?uid=602
"If you want to judge a person's true character, give them power."
COOP3

Post by COOP3 »

Robroy,
I am a new user but was following your great documentation the past 2 years. I know this post is very old, but I was hoping you could give me your opinion of the DC Rad Support Bushings you installed. Did you have any problems? I have a 1971 F250, 360-2V, 2WD, 4spd. I am in the process of replacing my rad support & bushings & probably the cab bushings also. I had the same concerns as you, wondering if those hockey pucks would stay in place? I have the DC core support bushings & cab to frame bushing sets. I was looking at the Prothane bushings as they have the flange that will fit in the frame hole to keep it centered. My only concern with those is that alot of reviews about hardness & squeaking?
It's too bad no one makes the original washer/sleeve that was used with the bushings. Did you also replace the Cab to Frame bushings with DC kit?
Appreciate any info & guidance as this is my first truck working on.
Thanks
Charlie
1971 F250, Camper Special, 360-2V, Manual Steering, 4spd
cstoyer

Post by cstoyer »

COOP3

This is fairly old thread so you may not get a response for the OP. Bronco Graveyard sells a kit listed for 1973-79 F250 number 23067K. This kit has the sleeves for the bushings you are asking about and I used this kit on my 68 250 4x4 and they fit fine. Keep in mind the frames for 4x4 250s were the same from 67 to 76-1/2 so I’m not sure on your 71 2wd. However the sleeves should work for either, but maybe the not bushings due to height.

CStoyer
68 F250 4x4
COOP3

Post by COOP3 »

Thanks cstoyer,
That kit looks like it might work, its the closest thing I have seen to the OEM part. I sent a request for some additional data to Bronco Graveyard. I would love to know if by chance someone used these bushings on a 71 F250, 2WD. Thanks for your help.
1971 F250, Camper Special, 360-2V, Manual Steering, 4spd