Bendix conversion. Can I use the same Pitman arm???

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

kaufydawg

Bendix conversion. Can I use the same Pitman arm???

Post by kaufydawg »

The pitman arm came with the Bendix box, and it fits the spindle obviously. But is their a difference? Anyone have any advice.
I read a few of the previous posts and it is a bit confusing.

Thanks,
Kaufydawg 8)
JWW
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

re: Bendix conversion. Can I use the same Pitman arm???

Post by JWW »

Go to this page:

http://www.fordification.com/technical-home.htm

The Steering/ Suspension/ Brakes section has tons of stuff that will help you.
JWW
1967 F100 Ranger, Auto, 240ci
2004 F150 Crew Cab
My project: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... &sk=t&sd=a
Gunz

Can I use the same Pitman arm???

Post by Gunz »

kaufydawg wrote:The pitman arm came with the Bendix box, and it fits the spindle obviously. But is their a difference? Anyone have any advice.
I read a few of the previous posts and it is a bit confusing.

Thanks,
Kaufydawg 8)
Can you use the same Pitman Arm?

If you are converting from Bendix to Ford P/S, the answer is no, you cannot.

Most Pitman Arms have Ford ID numbers cast on them.

1967/69 F100/250 with BENDIX P/S: Pitman Arm marked: C7TA-3590-L / Ford part number: C7TZ-3590-F.

C7TZ-3590-F Bendix Pitman Arm was NOT used with the Ford P/S gearbox.

With Ford P/S: 1969/71 F100/250 / Pitman Arm marked; C9TA-3590-E / Ford part number: C9TZ-3590-C / No Ford or obsolete parts dealer has one.

Please list the year and series of your truck when asking questions.
Bill / Retired Ford Parts Manager / Part Number Research ~ 1928/2002 / Obsolete Parts Search

1963 Galaxie 500XL / 1965 F100 8' Styleside (original owner) / 2008 Ford Fusion
cdherman

Post by cdherman »

I am pretty sure that the pitman with the Bendix is the same as the manual box uses. I think that is what you were asking......
65 f-100 SWB, 240 I6, T-18, now swapped to C4 with difficulty. Yeah, I know. Its a 67-72 site. But my frame and entire drive train are just like yours!!!!
Ferris95

Re: Bendix conversion. Can I use the same Pitman arm???

Post by Ferris95 »

Was this ever verified? I am converting my 68 F-250 from manual to PS and am trying to decide weather to use the bendix box so I don’t have too change the steering column (or have 2 1/2 inches cut off mine), or go with the Saginaw (Ford) box and change the steering column.

On another note, if I go with the Saginaw gear, what all do I need steering column wise? Can I get all new stuff instead of needing to find a whole column in the junkyard? I see on autokrafters, you can get the whole package with gear and lines and brackets/pulleys, and another package with the newer style pump. Should I just get those 2 packages and buy a new column somewhere? Are there other places I can get the whole packages that include the brackets and stuff?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
68 F-250 Ranger Camper Special 390 FE
Retired Army
SoCal250

Post by SoCal250 »

This is probably one of the most posted things besides disc brake swaps my advice is do not go with the Bendix box I have one my truck was an original power steering truck 69 f250 camper special with the Bendix box unfortunately.
Now I have never experienced the leaking problems that a lot of people talk about my 50-year-old box never leaked but it had a lot of play in the steering wheel I would rather have preferred manual steering with the tight feel then sloppy power steering that feels uncontrollable in hard braking and other situations such as uneven roads etc. The one thing that's a disadvantage to the Bendix box would be the adjustment procedure on it is a three-part system that you have to take off your pitman arm to do this procedure is listed in the 68 Ford shop manual and someone also had the decency and kindness to post it up here if you can find it it's a big hassle to adjust play in there you do not just unlock the lock nut and turn the the upper Allen screw that will actually screw it all up.

The forward box is the way to go me personally I actually even thought about going manual because people are talking about how the Bendix box is a direct swap from the Ford manual box I thought I would just get a Ford manual box and a Ford manual pitman arm and it'll bolt right onto my truck I know that sounds extreme but I would rather have a performance feel in a little hard turning at complete stop then have an uncontrollable wandering ride just to have power steering.

For me if I decide to keep power steering when I'm going to do is get the Ford box with the pitman arm and buy a new steering column from national parts Depot the one that has the tilt and everything and it is made for our trucks it's 800 bucks it has tilt you can also get it with or without column shift you can get it raw you can get it painted and I'll buy one that was made for the Ford gearbox originally .
SoCal250

Post by SoCal250 »

There's not a mechanic out there today that knows how to adjust the Bendix power steering box at an alignment shop and that's the problem that I had the entire time that I've owned it it has power steering tho , also I think one of the reasons why they leak is one of the very last adjustments that you do is a PSI adjustment there's a little valve inside and you have to have special tools to do it with the truck running you have to have a special gauge on it to make sure that it's not pumping over 250 psi or 20 psi or something like that it's like who's going to do that today with that box it's a very complicated thing and I think that's why Ford got rid of it.