Drawing of my dream Bumpside paint job (one day on #50).

No tech discussion, please

Moderator: FORDification

robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Drawing of my dream Bumpside paint job (one day on #50).

Post by robroy »

Here's a drawing I made of my ideal paint job for #50. I wanted to do it this summer but planned for way more than I could actually accomplish (naturally). Maybe a few years down the road when I have better facilities!

It's partially inspired by the "390" emblem that some of our trucks had.

What do you think?

-Robroy
robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Drawing of my dream Bumpside paint job (one day on #50).

Post by robroy »

Also, the ink from the yellow marker I used kind of turned orange-ish. That color's supposed to be bright yellow, similar to the color in my avatar.
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

Cool like it. wht about the same colors but the checkered deal down the bump/Beltline?
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com
robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by robroy »

Hmmm--I hadn't considered that. That's a good one for me to think over, thanks! :)
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

now finally. someone has come up with a original paint idea. thats neat in the pic. i would get board of it on my truck though. maybe black in the rear and red up front. maybe. i dont know. it better than coping other guys paint jobs.
Brett6269
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Brett6269 »

Yep cool idea!!! :thup:
lover of old fords
robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by robroy »

Hey Fordman and Brett6269, glad you like it!

Fordman, the black/red idea you describe is actually pretty exciting--the same thing could be done with black and yellow. I think that's an improvement over having the rear portion of the truck white! Thanks for that idea. Maybe I'll whip up a new drawing based on that and post it.

I took this drawing to a local body shop out of curiosity, to see if they'd be brave enough to give me a ballpark figure for doing this job. And you know the saying, "Words are only noise; vibration never lies," meaning that most of the communication comes across in the form of an intuitive sense of body language/mood/etc. It was obvious that these guys weren't interested! But they quoted a ballpark of something like $4,000 just for the hood and fenders, with plenty of body language suggesting that I leave at once and never come back. Classic huh?

I think very few body shops must be interesting in doing anything this fancy. I may wind up making a summer project out of it next year instead! Yes, I foolishly think I can do this in one summer--using weekends only. :)

-Robroy
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

black and yellow would be a great combo. probably better than black and red.
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

Sadly most shops won't touch a standard paint job on a new Car just cuase they prefer the Insurance jobs. And sadder still is most insurance jobs end up with your original damage increased so they can get more money from the ins. company. :sad:

So unless it's insurance consider our old trucks screwed until you go to maybe macco or sheib. or gulp! x2 Miracle.

Now there are those old timers still in the bussiness that might touch it but your custom logo or graphics may have to be done at home, doing it that way you'd just get it sprayed by someon with the main color/colors and then once it had cured mask it off with your design and rough up the area to be logo'd/graphic'd and then do your logo/ graphic.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com
robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by robroy »

Hey Rjewkes, I see your point about doing the masking part myself. It would probably be tough to find a shop with the patience to stand there and do that kind of detailed masking; and they're naturally less motivated to get it right than I would be.

Fordman, I'm liking the black/yellow/checkers style a lot. I'll have to draw that one up and meditate on it to motivate myself to make it happen!

-Robroy
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

smokey bear said it best. the real reason body shops wont touch it is because it is too time consuming. classic paint jobs are much more time consuming. they have to go back an fill every single little wave that could show up in the paint and all of that. not like a insurance job. there isnt all of that to worry about. it is more rush rush to get them out the door than it is to get it show perfect. they can do more insurance type jobs and make up what it would cost to do a classic car paint job.
robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by robroy »

So do you folks think it's probable that a beginner, with sufficient patience and tools, could produce a high quality classic paint job on the first try? Naturally it would take an order of magnitude longer than it would take a pro to do it, but is it probable? Or does it really take tons of experience and I'm just dreaming?

-Robroy
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

i dont know but i am going to try it. and i have no experience with body work or auto painting. i have done alot of reasearch on it though.
robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by robroy »

Excellent!!! I'm undoubtedly going to try it sooner or later too. I have a hunch that a beginner can turn out work that's even better than what most body shops would do, simply because the beginner has patience, and the body shop probably never does. I'm sure they're almost always in a rushed frenzy.
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

might try practicing too on a spare door or fender and test out spray patterns and paint gun setting.
fuelly.com