Using GIMP to change your trucks color

Show us your rides or projects!

Moderator: FORDification

stangconv

Using GIMP to change your trucks color

Post by stangconv »

I dont have much knowledge of Bump trucks (although I am learning a TON by being on here) so I am more or less just taking from FORDification.com....

I dont want to be just a leech, and since I am dont really offer much in the knowledge of our trucks, I thought I might offer to teach some people on here how to use a (free) photoshop alternative which makes it easy to change the color on a vehicle so you can view differnt possible paint jobs.

If anyone feels this would be useful to know how to do I will write up a detailed sumary on how to do this.

You would need to download and install Gimp from http://www.gimp.org/downloads/

The original

Any takers?
FordTruck
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Re: Using GIMP to change your trucks color

Post by FordTruck »

I downloaded it and I would like to know how to change the color of the truck I played around with it but could never figure it out.
"Flyin High On Caffine And Copenhagen" R.I.P Chris LeDoux

60 Mercury Comet
65 Ford Econoline
72 Ford F100 on 79 4x4 SWB frame
77 Ford F250 "lowboy" 4x4
09 Harley Xl1200c
stangconv

Post by stangconv »

Ok I will do a little tutorial... my way of giving something to this wonderful community
stangconv

Post by stangconv »

I will update this post as I continue on... THE BEST PART ABOUT GIMP IS THAT YOU CAN ALWAYS UNDO... SO FEEL FREE TO EXPERIMENT... AS NOTHING IS PERMANANT

Ok open GIMP

File>>open the picture of the truck you want to use....

Next you want to select only the actual paint of the of truck.. I find this easiest by using the select by color tool. (located in the top right of the toolbar)

Now use that tool to pick a color.... see how it just selects the one shade of color you picked? (in my case the medium orange) you can go to the tool options (bottom half of Toolbox) and choose to "Add to the current selection" (see arrow in picture) This option will allow you to chose another shade of the color, but it will add it to the selection...

Now see how i have selected more of the colors??? and it looks kinda staticy with all the dots on it? This means we are not finished yet....

You want to get the truck fully outlined as I have here....

But see how some of the background (sky and orange line on the road) is also selected? Now we need to Deselect those parts... So pick a selection tool (any of the top 3) I like to use the free select, but use what more comfortable to you But instead of adding to the selection we want to SUBRACT form the selection (red arrow) and go nuts, just dont deselect the truck.. REMEMBER IF YOU DO MAKE A GOOF UNDO ALWAYS WORKS!!

There we go... just got the truck selected... (You could have just outlined the truck with the free select tool, but I am very shakey with the mouse)

Ok now the fun part.... On the top menu there is a "colors" drop down... (6 to the right of "File" and 5 to the right of "Edit".. I sure hope I dont need a picture for this part)

You should get this window pop up

Now you want to go to the color circle and select the color that best matches the paint you are trying to change (since my truck is orange I will pick the yellow) What you are telling it to do is pick this color to modify.

EDIT: This colored part is NOT neccasary.... since we have already selected JUSt the color we want to modify with the selction tools, you can just slide the slider!!! It will work better if you have refelections in the paint!!!

Now it is just as simple as going down to the "hue" slider and moving it around to change the color. :hd: (make sure the "preview" box is checked in the lower corner) Once you get close to the color you want use the "Lightness" and Saturation sliders to fine tune!!! (I find i lower the lightness and increase the Saturation a touch to get the best results)

:woohoo:

Hopefully you did it!!!

Bright pink bump anyone?

Last edited by stangconv on Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:47 pm, edited 4 times in total.
mljjones67
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by mljjones67 »

Thanks that would be awesome
stangconv

Post by stangconv »

Tutorial is up!!! Any questions feel free to ask!!
1971ford
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1971ford »

haha i was doing that like 2 seconds ago with photoshop before i logged on FORDification :D
i changed the color of my 71 and i slammed it so the body was sitting on the ground just for fun :lol:
-Ryan
stangconv

Post by stangconv »

I am not 100% sure how to add body graphics or to change it to a 2 tone paint job or anything fancy like that (well I have an idea.. I guess I got to try it out tonite)
1971ford
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1971ford »

ever wonder what your truck would look like slammed???? :D
i'd never slam my truck but i just whipped this up for fun

i dont know if you can do it with GIMP but you do the same thing where you select the body, but to slam/lift a truck you grab the body and move it up or down then erase all the extra stuff.

did this quickly for my brother :lol:

and...
-Ryan
stangconv

Post by stangconv »

Nice work!! Yeah you can lower and raise with Gimp too

I made a Stripe

Changed the whole truck to the color I wanted.... (I am pretty sure I am doing my truck this orange) and then selected the area I wanted the strip to go and changed it to black

Lowered

1971ford
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1971ford »

with GIMP, can you change a white colored truck to a black? I cant do it with photoshop :? i can change a color to a color but not a shade to anything.
-Ryan
stangconv

Post by stangconv »

I dunno.. let me try
stangconv

Post by stangconv »

Yup just by doing what I outlined above.... BUT it wouldnt let me get it very dark... So I made the white a light blue and said ok, then I did it again and changed the blue to black....

If I spent more itme I could make it better but here is a quick try

To...

BiggDogg
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by BiggDogg »

WoW that's a pretty cool tool thanks for sharing :thup:
1970 F250 Camper Special
"Its no coincidence that man's best friend can't talk."
Matrix549

Post by Matrix549 »

I must be messed up, because for the life of me I can't get this to work.....Can anyone take the picture of my truck and let me see what it would look like in Red, Dark Blue and Teal Green???