any other tall guys? ( gas tank relocation, seat options)

Inside the cab...appearance, repair, upgrades

Moderator: FORDification

bigjay

any other tall guys? ( gas tank relocation, seat options)

Post by bigjay »

at 6'7" my first order of business with my 68' is to make some room so i can drive the darn thing, all the other mods i want to do are worthless to me if i cant drive it eh? First on the chopping block is the gas tank, ive seen a couple of pics of gas tanks bieng put in the beds.. but how? do I need any special parts or is it as straghtforward as it seems it would be? I would like to keep a bench seat for now, but would like it to slide back farther, any ideas on a bench swap or should I just figure out a set of brackets to move it back? thanks guys! take care!

Jay
Jay

1968 f250

FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Re: any other tall guys? ( gas tank relocation, seat options)

Post by FORDification »

Folks remove the in-cab fuel tank for various purposes, like wanting additional storage or a place to mount speakers, but removing it will not allow the rear seat to go back any farther. When you slide the seat as far back as it will go, the top of the seatback should be right up against the rear cab wall, without touching the fuel tank. If you don't believe me, just spend an afternoon removing the tank and then slide the seat back as far as it'll go...you'll see there's nothing to be gained by removing the tank.

I'm 'only' 6'1", but I understand your predicament. I'd prefer a little more room to stretch out too, but it's just not gonna happen. One thing you can do is replace the stock steering wheel with one that has a smaller diameter and less dish to it, so it'll set farther away from you. And it goes without saying that if you don't already have it, you'll want power steering when installing a slightly smaller steering wheel.

But to answer your question about moving the tank to the bed: I removed the in-cab tank on my choptop and put it in the bed. You can check out how I did it here:

http://www.fordification.com/mychoptop-p15.htm
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

'nother door jam hitter here. Only real good suggestion is make sure the bottom springs of your seat are in good shape. Found when I replaced the seat I sat up higher in the truck and had more leg room.

Jamie
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
BiggDogg
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by BiggDogg »

I'm a big guy too. Swapping in a smaller steering wheel make a big difference for me and it was a simple, relatively inexpensive upgrade :thup:
1970 F250 Camper Special
"Its no coincidence that man's best friend can't talk."
bigjay

Post by bigjay »

thanks for the info guys! a new steering wheel is a must, this thing is meant to drive a bus with :) i dont mind the lack of power steering, probably wont like it any better with a smaller wheel but ill get used to it, im sure one day ill tackle the power steering swap but i read whats involved and it doesent sound like any fun. I wonder if a smaller wheel and shortening the brake pedal would help enough, i have to lift my leg way up to get to the brake pedal and thats probably more annoying than anything, im used to heel/toe driving.

I will end up moving the gas tank anyway, its in the way of my subwoofer box and tool box :D that and i cant stand the sloshing gas sound and slight odor. Thanks for that link tot eh tank removal/relocation page, great idea and probably what ill do. take care guys!
Jay

1968 f250

fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

not that i tmatters since your going to mave the tank anyway. but that slight odor can be gotten rid of by putting a new replacement filler neck hose on the filler neck inside the cab.
bigjay

Post by bigjay »

fordman wrote:not that i tmatters since your going to mave the tank anyway. but that slight odor can be gotten rid of by putting a new replacement filler neck hose on the filler neck inside the cab.

Thanks for the info, it will probably be a couple of months before i move the tank so i will definitly replace that filler neck hose in the mean time, that gas smell has to go :) thanks man!
Jay

1968 f250

heartless

Post by heartless »

at 5' 4" i have the opposite problem! :D
after seeing some of the steering wheel replacements on other trucks, I am thinking this would be a great idea for me! luckily, I already have the power steering option. :thup:
fordwannabe

Post by fordwannabe »

Get a crew cab!!! the seat tracks can be modified to move lots!!! I'm not that tall(6'1) but I am really fat so I need the room too! I really have a problem cause my belly is big and my LEGS ARE SHORT!!!DARN!!Tom
drytoast
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by drytoast »

I'm 6'3" and putting on a smaller steering wheel does help. Also taking the two bolts out of the seats back cushion helps to recline the seat a little more. I do feel your pain about the brake pedal, I need to do something with mine also.
Life is hard; its harder if your STUPID. John Wayne

1972 Ford F-100 Explorer 302 C4 automatic
2005 Chrysler T&C Limited
1996 Honda Accord LX 238,000 miles and counting
tybob81
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by tybob81 »

Im 6'4" and the best thing I did to make me some more room was putting in my ididit tilt column and a mooneyes reproduction steering wheel. Lots more breathing room at least. Still not anymore leg room.lol
1968 swb hydroboost, ididit tilt column, Saginaw p/s pump with F series serpentine, all led lights, Vintage Air and painless wiring. 393w, tko600. CV front suspension w/c5 calipers and gt500 rotors. Stock Flexomatic leaf springs with 01 CV 8.8, 3.90 gears and Auburn locker. Custom wood bed floor. Full frame off resto-mod.
killakobra
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by killakobra »

man you guys are short. i'm 6'7. i don't really have much trouble with fitting in the cab though. on the other hand, i can't drive my mom's Chrysler because my legs won't fit. period.
1967 f100 stepside 300ci I6
1969 f100/600 stepside retro truck -under construction-
1972 longbed trailer
shybutpsycho

Post by shybutpsycho »

fordwannabe wrote:Get a crew cab!!! the seat tracks can be modified to move lots!!! I'm not that tall(6'1) but I am really fat so I need the room too! I really have a problem cause my belly is big and my LEGS ARE SHORT!!!DARN!!Tom
I have a Crew Cab & want to move my front seat further back. How can the track be modified to move further back? Have you done it? Have pics? Any help would be appreciated.