don't know?

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

hotrod ford
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

don't know?

Post by hotrod ford »

i forgot to ask about this before my vacation was over with. on my 360 i have a stock 2 bbl intake. now where my vacum line goes to the intake there is another fitting coming off of the intake. the po had it capped off. what is this fitting for?
1971 Sport Custom SWB: 360/C6 3.00
1965 Ford Falcon 4Dr: Inline 170 3sp
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Re: don't know?

Post by FORDification »

Vacuum source for automatic transmission modulator and/or power brake booster and/or vacuum gauge.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
hotrod ford
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by hotrod ford »

i would asume it would be for the vacum gauge then. the other two already have there spots. thanks
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

Just 'cause you have a fitting with multiple ports doesn't mean they were all necessarily used. Like the old saying goes..."it's better to have 'em and not need 'em than need 'em and not have 'em". The factory (or a previous owner) probably installed a multi-nipple vacuum fitting, but since they weren't all needed, one vacuum nipple got capped off.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

did it look like this?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hotrod ford
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by hotrod ford »

its like this: below the firing order.

http://i2.ebayimg.com/07/i/001/2f/27/131f_1.JPG
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

Did you know that all 1967 engines with automatic transmissions were actually supposed to have the vacuum advance on the distributor connected to manifold vacuum and not ported vacuum on the carb? Ford even issued a TSB article discussing this.

http://www.fordification.com/tsb/viewto ... =360&p=366

Also, later trucks with dual-port vacuum advance canisters had two vacuum lines...one goes to the ported vacuum on the carb, the other to the intake manifold....which would be what the other vacuum nipple on that connection is for.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
peanutman
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by peanutman »

FORDification wrote:Did you know that all 1967 engines with automatic transmissions were actually supposed to have the vacuum advance on the distributor connected to manifold vacuum and not ported vacuum on the carb? Ford even issued a TSB article discussing this.

http://www.fordification.com/tsb/viewto ... =360&p=366

Also, later trucks with dual-port vacuum advance canisters had two vacuum lines...one goes to the ported vacuum on the carb, the other to the intake manifold....which would be what the other vacuum nipple on that connection is for.
Keith do you have any info on the 70 302 with the dual port vac advance. I was having the rough idle problem after a carb rebuild. To fix it i had to do away with this:

which from the info i gathered is a de-acceleration control valve. I also had a bad vac advance and couldn't find a dual port so i went back with a single, run to the carb. Engine seems to be running fine now but haven't idled for long periods so unsure of a over heat problem. The valve above had one small line going to carb, other small to dizzy advance front port, larger 3/16 port to intake and back dizzy port ran to intake. I plugged all else off and just running vac advance of the carb which the illistration say is correct for a 289 which is close to my 302 2v.
Any info if you have it would help me understand why in 70 they hooked it up the way mine was and what was causing my rough idle other than the bad vac advance. I couldn't find any vac illistrations on mine. What little info i did find was out of the chilton manual and my cd shop manual.
Thanks! Robbie