is it posible

Questions about 4WDs and related topics

Moderators: FORDification, Doug Comer

warponyxlt

is it posible

Post by warponyxlt »

is it posible to use the independent front end from an 80 on up ford along with the steerin sector and some sort of extension for the steerin colum. would it work with minor fabrication or is it a crazy idea but a guy would have to use the rear end to match the front in both ratio and width if any one has tried it or thought about it id like to know cause igot a bunch of them 80 something 4x4 trucks layin around not good enough to fix or drive only parts trucks
if its fixed break it again red white and ford blue the only up hill thats good is the one you are going down
zakt
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Re: is it posible

Post by zakt »

The 80s have a wider front frame and the engine crossmember is like the 2wd (67-72) thats where the IFS bracket is mounted the IFS in 80s F150 is coil sprung and I think the F250 (not sure on the F250 since Im a F350 follower :D ) ,F350 were leaf sprung. So Im thinking alot of fab.....but as they say anything is possible :D

Todd
1972 Ford F350 crewcab
warponyxlt

Post by warponyxlt »

id be using a ifs from a 80 bronco f150
if its fixed break it again red white and ford blue the only up hill thats good is the one you are going down
Wes
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Wes »

I doubt any one here has done this. So when you do it please take lots of pictures, notes and diagrams. We can though out idea's as you go along. I think 1st off I would start w/ a 2x bump frame. radius arm brackets and coil spring buckets are already there to use, and the cross member would be closer to the correct position. Good luck
Wes

http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?cat=10402
67 F250 High boy
69 Bronco

If you can't see fit to stand behind Our Troops...Please stand in front of them :)
green68250

Post by green68250 »

With a lot of fabing it could be done. Like stated above the frames in those 80's 4x4's were like the 70's 2wd's. They have a front crosmember that the front axle assembly goes under and bolts to. I believe those axles are set up like a twin i-beam type suspension called TTB (Twin Traction Beam), so you might be able to take a front crosmember out of a 2wd and weld it in. Then you would have a better platform to start with for mounting all of the brackets for that TTB front axle. Like zakt said, anything is possible it just takes time and usually money.

Corbin
Honestly, I really would rather push a Ford than drive a Chevy.

1969 F-100 4x4 Dana 44 w/ disk brakes and power steering conversion 390 c6 np205.
1970 F-250 97k original miles bone stock 390 np435 most original unmolested truck I have ever owned.
2001 F-250, Extra Cab, 4x4, 7.3 Direct Injected Turbo Diesel, Edge Programmer, Flowmaster 4" Turbo back Exhaust, 3" Leveling Kit with 33" Goodyear Wrangler DuraTracs, and has 250,000 miles and counting.
cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by cep62 »

Maybe it would be easier to put the bump body on the newer frame.
Although the wheelbase is off a couple inches ,you could compensate by relocating the rear axle or a mild lift.
I think it would be easier and safer to modify the body mounts to the frame than the newer suspension to a older frame.
averagef250
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by averagef250 »

Either route is a bad idea. TTB sucks unless you never drive on pavement and don't care how short your tire life is. The old frames are better built than the newer stuff and they are completely different.

Nobody swaps TTB stuff because it was a bad idea when it was new. It doesn't ride any better than a solid axle and just wears stuff out faster.

If you're a fabber and have plenty of TTB's laying around turn one into a solid axle. The 50 TTB is a very tough axle.
1970 F-250 4x4 original Willock swivel frame chassis '93 5.9 Cummins/Getrag/NP205/HP60/D70
warponyxlt

Post by warponyxlt »

yeah i iive up the thought of doin that it would not exactly bolt right in and the work to do it is not for the faint of heart i havent got the time to do it i decided to make the bronco parts truck into a oversized four wheeler with a four spd an I 6 engine with 35 in tires that will be the ultimate bush trucktype thing :wink: