TIG HF Box Question.....

Discuss your workshop and related equipment

Moderator: FORDification

oldschoolrods
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: TIG HF Box Question.....

Post by oldschoolrods »

It can be done but there a couple things to be aware of. #1 If the lincoln is a MIG only machine, it can't be used for TIG. #2. I'm asumming the Miller machine is a Thunderbolt and it could be used but, it won't have remote control which will make doing aluminum kind of difficult. Basically this set up would work but for just learning it would be more frustrating than anything else. As much as I hate to say it this is one thing you're better off getting a machine designed for the TIG process. http://millerwelds.com/products/tig/diversion_165/ This machine would be good for your application and isn't to unreasonably priced. Actually only about $600 less than a brand new diversion. Hope that helps.
1969 Ford F250 Custom Cab 360/C6 - currently under de-construction
black70cs

Re: TIG HF Box Question.....

Post by black70cs »

Like everyone said bigger is usually better with tig, I have a old Miller synchrowave, Miller 200A Dynasty and a old Miller 330 ABP wich I would love to find for my garage, nothing ever goes wrong with those machines. The Dynasty is great for it's portability, and will take any electric you put to it. I have it set up for 110 and take it out on boats and weld when I have to. Alum. of heavier thickness is tough sometimes I'll bring a bottle of helium which helps big time. Air cooled torches have come a long way from the old days. But in the shop wouldn't use anything but watercooled. Just the coolers are 500 bucks these days, add the torch, flowmeter, argon bottle, cups, tungsten etc. it's a pretty big investment. Good luck with what ever you get.
Charlie