Darlin, a 69 Ranger SWB

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

FreakysFords
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Darlin, a 69 Ranger SWB

Post by FreakysFords »

I'm trying to get this critter back to it's glory. It's pretty straight on the surface, but I've yet to get down to previous body work.
Soon as the rain's eased up, I'm going to snap some pics, then I've got to pull the carpet and check the floor pans.
This will be a step by step DD until I get to the point that I need to park it and start the full tear down. I just want to drive it as much as possible b4 then so I know exacty what I want to do with it.

It's not going to be a faithful restoration, but I want the body and interior to be very near that point.

Ok, now to upload the pics.

Front

Left (yup, keeping the ugly 70s dukes wheels)

Rear

Right

Now for the parts truck (76 dentside LWB)

I'll be using this bumper till I find a damage free one. The front suspension as well.

This seat will be going in the 69 as well (just recovered it 2 yrs ago for it's PO), as will the column and brake pedal.
Last edited by FreakysFords on Sat May 01, 2010 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darlin 69 Ranger 390 4v, PS, DS II, disc front, 3G alternator, 67 mirror.
ares360

Re: Freaky's 69 Ranger SWB

Post by ares360 »

you don't like those rims? I think they look like the General Lee rims :lol:
Kane
1971 Ford F250 4x2, no engine.....what am I going to do?

FreakysFords
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by FreakysFords »

ares360 wrote:you don't like those rims? I think they look like the General Lee rims :lol:
LOL actually, yes I do. I just catch a lot of "gotta loose those wheels" so I was being a bit sarcastic. I'm keeping the rims and building the truck I wanted 30 yrs ago.
ares360

Post by ares360 »

Heck yeah, I look forward to seeing it build.
Kane

FreakysFords
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by FreakysFords »

Rain slacked off enough to work on her a little, so I got the harness hooked up well enough to drive a few days (hooked everything but the IC up, but left a few components hanging from the harness as it's coming back out soon. Bought the right harness from fordman today so it'll be going in instead.

I've still got to get out and get a G3 alt and wiring so I can get it ready for the new harness (the chevy alt on it now has got to go!).

Still need to locate a breather too.

Might have a line on a hood, door panels and bumpers.
Also I 'think' I've got a long bed coming for patch panels (not exactly a reliable person to buy from that has it). We'll see.

Gonna dig around the shop Monday and try to locate a suitable tank to modify and put under the bed. The 6 gal outboard tank bungied back there now just dun cut it. pulled the tank outta the dent and I'll either put it back in the cab or mount it in the bed 2maro for now.

Trying to think of what all I need to pull from the dent side this coming week so I can get it all yanked off and hide the remains back out back (where the pic was taken).
I know I'm taking:
Front suspension
master cyl w/ prop valve
auto colum
auto brake pedal assembly
hood hinges
driver's window regulator
both headlamp buckets and adjusters

Anything yall can think of? Gotta see if I can use that chrome trim around the windshield gasket (it was installed a few months ago and was NOS).
ares360

Post by ares360 »

what kind of engine are you running?
Kane

FreakysFords
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by FreakysFords »

"390" from a military police vehicle. Was supposedly coded as 390 HO (in the car), but it has a gt/cj cam so who knows. lol

I rebuilt it a few years ago and the cam was tired so when I get to the engine build (gonna build another while driving this one) I'm going to go a little wilder with the cam profile and final compression. This one's a factory 4brl, but I'll likely go with MSnS EFI and distributorless IGN when I get to the point of finializing the engine, but we're talking well into the future as I'll drive the "finished" truck while I build the engine @ my own pace till I'm happy with it.
Not sure what stroke I'll use, but it'll be a stroked FE 410 or up. Thing is, I'm nitpicky with my builds, so it takes time and often a few blocks for one suitable.

BTW, it had a ventilated 360 in it when I got it, but I had this engine ready to go into the 1 ton and this was a better home for it. Love these trucks, and hour and a spare engine and you're on your way.

What?!?!?! a spare tire????? Why? lol
dablack00
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by dablack00 »

I love the wheels. Those are the ones I had on my 69 ranger in highschool. Update your info with your location if you don't mind.
FreakysFords
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by FreakysFords »

dablack00 wrote:Update your info with your location if you don't mind.
Thanks for the reminder!
FreakysFords
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by FreakysFords »

Not much to update today.

Got my breather, but had forgotten that the old stud was broken off in the carb, so I'll have to yank it one day this week and get that fixed.
Got the engine / trans ready to yank from the dent. Figuring on yanking them this coming Saturday if the weather's decent. Gonna hold off on swapping the columns till after I get the trans ready for install. Then I'll drop the column in with the swap.

Once the engine's out of the dent, I'll yank the front suspension and take it to work for rebuild and bead blasting.

Still looking for my brake booster, but I might have found a hydra on a Lincoln. If it's good, it'll live on the bump come time for the suspension swap.

Did manage to get the rear torn down and rebuilt (went ahead and did outer bearings and seals while I was there. I'll likely have to yank it back apart, cause sooner or later I'll run across an LSD for it.
Can't remember for the life of me what the length difference is gonna be from 3sp manual to c6, but I'll handle it when it comes.

Replaced the driver's door latch, and was about to yank the window regulator from the dent when I noticed it had been splatter welded in a couple places.
Dropped in the new distributor that was sitting around (points) for now. I had hoped to use the ds2 outta the dent, but the PO swapped it for a points type somewhere along the road.

I was going to cut the bed floor outta the dent and splice it in the bump, but I may just leave the dent body whole, drop a single I beam front under it and transplant a 200 six / c4 and keep it as a parts runner. [Yes, the 200s dinky, but I've dropped one in a 65 LWB in the past and have been looking for an excuse to do it again.] Who knows, I may and then I may part it down to a frame. The 73 could stand to have a cab.

Other than that, I spent my day on other projects since I'm going to be pulling the harness outta the dent sometime this week.
Got the 4wd back on the road (77 chevy that's supposedly traded for 2 more dents, but looks like he's backed out on me). Had to replace the fuel pump and since I'm getting rid of it (I fix chevys to sell or trade.... DERN if I'll keep one. lol) I went ahead and put the 2brl intake and a 2brl roach on it. I think I have a better home for the 750 dual line. Also had to replace the inner fender wells so did that (agesco Taiwan reproduction parts are actually good fits, less the holes that were off by inches in places).
FreakysFords
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

HELP! please :)

Post by FreakysFords »

I'm stumped.

I was (might be, perhaps, maybe, potentially and even possibly) going to swap the C6 from the dent to the 69. I'm not so certain now though. I'm not so sure I want an auto. In fact I really don't want one. I just want a good trans! Preferably one that I didn't have to yank back and forth from R to 1 several times to get 1st to fully engage and perhaps one that would stay there under load lol. If I had the time I'd just yank the thing and replace the fork / detente and freshen her up.

If the 3sp in this truck were in better shape I'd just leave it there. If only I had an OD box or a good road geared top loader.
I know the C6 is strong and it's somewhat tweaked. I know it's condition and I know it'll bang the shifts. What I don't know is if I'd ever be happy with an auto in this particular truck.

The final purpose for this truck is to enjoy it and drive the daylights out of it. It'll be a mildly warm stroker on stock(ish) suspension (I've got it at the stance and height I want it at now). The tire size and wheel combo is now as it will be. I'm building the stroker for low end torque so I can cruise 75 at lower rpms. I'm undecided whether to achieve the revs via rear gear or OD, or combo of both.

If I'm going to swap a manual in, I want at least 4 gears and I have NO use for a granny gear. Hmmmm what to do, what to do?

With this setup, what would you go for?
Swap in the C6 but Keep the 3sp column for future upgrade?
Deal with the 3sp in 2sp mode till I find something else cause only I know I'm starting off in 2nd anyway?
Yank the top loader from the 1ton, rebuild it and swap it in? Nah, not happenin, that thing NEEDS the top loader.
Sell / trade the 98 Grand Marquis for some good bump parts and make sure a nice top loader's one of them?
Pay the ridiculous price a guy near here wants for a good OD 3sp?
Other?

Help me work this one out so I don't yank my hair out driving a 2sp FE.
1967AceStroker
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 1967AceStroker »

FreakysFords wrote:
dablack00 wrote:Update your info with your location if you don't mind.
Thanks for the reminder!
You... forgot the comma!!! :evil: I'm just teasin' ya.
Sounds like you've been busy, busy on that truck man, right on.
My Project Thread (Not updated in years.)
1967 F-100, Shortbed, 351W - 72mm Single Turbo - Megasquirt MS3x Engine Management, Tremec TKO 500, Ford 9" - Strange Nodular Center Section - Strange 35 Spline Axles - Strange Full Spool - Caltracs - DJM Drop Kit, Crown Vic IFS Swapped - 2 Coils Cut, Power Steering, Power 4 Wheel Disc Brakes, Paint - Kona Blue
FreakysFords
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by FreakysFords »

Minor updates.

Got all the exterior lights save for turn signals working and got the turn signals working the IC indicators now. Still working on it.

Got all interior electrical sorted save for the dome light. It works fine, but will only come on from door switch with key on. Will worry with swapping connection to constant power later as it's a simple fix and no real issue.

Did a little tweaking on the trans (3sp) and got it to where it will stay in 1st gear now. I still have roll from R to 1 to get full engage of 1st, but this will hold me till I rebuild the trans. I've decided to keep the 3sp btw and will soon be needing a shift lever so I can get the junk floor shifter out.

Got my disc brakes on (sorry, no pics during the work, but do have of it completed). Got lucky with king pin size and was able to just swap spindles from another donor for now. Still plan on a full drop and rebuild, but now that I can keep my original I beams and radius arms, it'll wait till time for the body and frame to go through a temporary separation.

Getting a new welder tomorrow (lincoln 255), so I hope to fab up a new fuel cell in the near future. I like to fab with mig and finish with tig. (aka I have to borrow the tig so it's easier to fab it up and then take it to friend's shop and use his tig to finish.)

Got the heater core in and now have heat, :woohoo: I might need it for another whole week. lol

Decided on the engine I'm going to build. I've got a 390 with C6AE (dern forgot what!, but it's 4brl "S" as if it mattered), and C6AE R heads on matching block. It's getting a stroker kit from survival, but unsure yet if I want to go 410 or just go for broke. My go with CJ valves, but not certain yet. I'm going for a low end torque engine, so it's not exactly a "to do" but I may anyway. Since I'm down right anal about my builds, it will be fully machined (aka "blue printed"). That's what I'm saving for now. May next real expense will be the engine. Till then I'm driving it's wheels off.

I don't have pics yet, but will get some when it get's delivered................ I bought another dern dent donor. I 'think' it's a 77, but don't remember. It has no bed, no doors, no seat and only 1 fender, but it has my seat belts, trans panel, temp bumpers, wide 9 and a few other goodies for a whole cost of $10.oo
PS / automatic column swap kit will be for sale or trade soon :oops:
FreakysFords
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by FreakysFords »

Since the house is "done" and I can finally get back to work on Darlin, I suppose it's time I added some pics of the latest parts truck (sadly in much better shape than the 69 Ranger, but it's my Darlin I want fixed up :) )

Passenger

Front

Driver (those wheels will be for sale when I get a chance)

A good rear bumper! :woohoo:

A good steering wheel! :woohoo:

Explorer

Sport Custom

That's enough of a load on pics. lol The rest are here http://s583.photobucket.com/albums/ss27 ... %20Ranger/ if you're really that bored :lol:

I've got several parts to save from this truck, but will be selling / trading the rest to get more for Darlin. If ya see something you're interested in, feel free to message me.

Still need:
Front bumper and valance
Grille and headlamp doors (red line)
bed floor (though I may cut down the parts truck's lwb floor to fit. just hate to ruin a good bed so will see)
headlamp buckets
NON "granny" 4sp (yup, dead set on trans now . . . won't get into my TKO fiasco just yet, but will say........... DON'T DO IT!!!!)
LSD carrier and SHORT gears
door gaskets and side glass mold
radio delete cover
Top to bottom bed quarter chops for patch panels (If I don't chop the parts truck's bed, we'll see)
New slick side tail lamp lenses
Black shoulder harnesses
Steel only inner door panels
Narrow beltline trim (what isn't good on the parts truck, and yup, decided to go back with the beltline trim after all)
Much more, PLUS the things that I don't even know I need yet :D
Slickside rear-view mirror
Money
Time
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

Man!
That a pretty nice "parts truck"! :thup: Nicer than my whole truck! :P
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4