Harbor Freight

Discuss your workshop and related equipment

Moderator: FORDification

tsherry
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: Harbor Freight

Post by tsherry »

Bought a hand-riveter from HF a few weeks ago, which is a mandatory piece of equipment when working on late model Crown Victorias. The window regulators blow up; they're riveted in; and they prefer to have rivets rather than bolts and lok-tite. (Been there, done that). Also, Ford decided that putting on exterior door handles with rivets is a good idea; and putting on the front license plate plastic bracket as well.

Really? Has Ford completely forgotten how to build cars?

Anyway, the riveter is good--works well on the LARGE rivets required, but you better have the strength of Atlas (or a great big cheater pipe) to really get it snug.

The alternative tool was seen at a large shop specializing in fasteners, in a plastic carrying case, and was two hundred fifty dollars. It looked all but identical (even the same green splatter-paint).

The HF version was about $12, if I recall.
too many Fords, no where near 'nuff time.

or, money.
undertakerman

Post by undertakerman »

Speaking of Harbor Freight. I purchase a $100.00 90 amp Mig .030 wire feed 120V welder to do lite welding such as floor pans, Fenders etc. Nothing over 1/8 inch. As you know fenders, floor pans etc are in most cases 18 gauge. Their book says to set the wire feed in 1.5 for 18 gauge and the heat on Minimum which is 63 to 68 amps. I did some practice welding using some scrape 18 gauge and had little to no problems. Butt welds, spot welding, overlap welding etc. So I move on to doing the real thing. Welding in the driver's side floor pan and replacing a 6 inch pierce of the kick panel. Welding in the repair panel was not problem. But when I started on the floor pan, everything went south real quit. I don't know if my holes are too big or what but I'm burning through. Overlap welding, I'm doing the same, burning through. I keep the wire 1/2 inch in front of the tip in contact with the point of welding. I have slowed down the wire speed, I have tried keeping the wire 3/4 to an 1 inch in front of the tip in contact with the point of welding and the result is the same. Am I too slow, too fast, too far away, too much distance, too close, wire feed not slow enough? What am I doing wrong? In my younger days in steel erection I was a certified welder. I had a bumper sticker that read "Blessed Are The Welders, The Best Arc Makers Since Noach". So what gives guys. A little help please. :? :? :? :?
You know man can live alone, but he cannot live without Peanut Butter and Grape Jelly.
Whateverman
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Whateverman »

undertakerman wrote:Speaking of Harbor Freight. So what gives guys. A little help please. :? :? :? :?
I'm an un-certified welder,but i do it every day and used to run crews of up to 6 welders a few years back,here's a few things that might help ya out:
#1 - pulling works alot better than pushing
#2 - if the metal's thin (which old floorpans tend to be) turn your speed up .turn your heat down or give yourself more stick out on your wire if you are burning thru,also :tack tack,tack...then connect the dots -and MAKE SURE that the 2 pieces of metal are actually contacting each other tightly before you start (you may have to screw or rivet them together)
#3- most of the suggested wire speed settings on migs are out to lunch,set it so it sounds like its frying bacon with a minimal stick out and your not burning thru and you're doing good ( i usually go with 1/8 - 1/4 stickout ,but if i have to i'll step it up to 1" or more and just pile boogers on it if i have to on thin stuff - sometimes you just need the filler metal there & the grinder will fix it later ,but everybody's different)

i'll probably think of more stuff later,but hope this helps abit in the meantime
goodluck!
- still got my first first car 20+yrs later : 69 f100 sorta kinda pretending its a Mercury M100 w/a 70 f350 sport custom cab (factory buckets) 67 grille with 69 ranger cooneyes 68 merc box and hood,some supercool fiberglass fenders i scored way back when, 76 f150 disc brake frontend..currently running a 90 5.0HO 4bbl/c4 auto & 3.50 posi...originally a 360/c6 f100 Ranger with dealer added towpack (incl. kelsey hays trailer brake),boxside toolbox,behind the seat stowage & belly tank...only original parts left on 'er are the frame,rear end,rear springs,and rear bumper...
undertakerman

Post by undertakerman »

Thanks Whateverman for your reply. I will try your suggestions and see what happens. Will let you know. :thup: :thup: :thup:
You know man can live alone, but he cannot live without Peanut Butter and Grape Jelly.
goldies67
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by goldies67 »

i recently got the 15 gallon soda blaster and it works great! also have impact sockets,still beating the hell out of em! a set of metric deep sockets,cool colored ones,still kickin! my pop has the 110 volt mig welder,still works well!! good store,just gotta check the quality and shop around!
1967 f100 styleside
BlueBlood

Post by BlueBlood »

Anyone running any harbor freight compressors?? What kind??
goldies67
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by goldies67 »

BlueBlood wrote:Anyone running any harbor freight compressors?? What kind??
ive heard some horror storys about harbor frieght air compressors,not good quality stuff,a few friends have gotten them and they are flimsy and break frequently,not good!
1967 f100 styleside
undertakerman

Post by undertakerman »

goldies67 wrote:
ive heard some horror storys about harbor frieght air compressors,not good quality stuff,a few friends have gotten them and they are flimsy and break frequently,not good!
Back up to June 12 on this thread "HARBOR FREIGHT" and read about the 90 amp Mig Welder that I brought for a $100.00. Friends of mine that are good welders couldn't weld with it and 2 of them owen a body shop. They all said that the low and high amp sides need to be adjustable not from 68 amp and below and 69 amps and up. Harbor Freight and Chicago Tools that the welder comes from and the manufacture said it was the person doing the welding not the welding machine. Well I sold the welder at a yard sale for $15.00 and brought me a Lincoln 125 Amp gas less Mig welder with adjustable amps from 0 to 125 and had no problems welding any gauge of metal or steel. I saw the guy this morning at the Auto parts store close to me that brought the Harbor Freight welder at the yard sale. Guess what? He couldn't weld with it and he threw it in the dumper and brought him a Miller Mig welder. How about those crabapples Harbor Freight. :thup: :thup: :thup:
Dirty Offio

Post by Dirty Offio »

I have one of their smaller compressors, can't remember if it is a 5 or 7 gallon. It works fine, unless you want to run it on an extension cord, then it get's cranky. As long as it is plugged into the wall, it runs my impact, framing nailer, air ratchet, etc just fine. It doesn't have the capacity to run my air drills, or die grinder, but it isn't designed for it either.

My big compressor is a Husky, from Home Depot. I think I paid $27 cash for it! Place I used to work, we stayed in hotels ALOT. (company expense) We were all Diamond members of the Best Western club. You got points for each night you stayed, and 1 of the things you could redeem the points for was a $25 gift card to Home Depot. Saved up enough points, ordered the gift cards, and walked into HD and said load'er up. All I had to pay was the sales tax, it was pretty sweet!
When in doubt, hit the gas. It may not be the right answer, but at least it ends the suspense!!
The only substitute for Cubic Inches, is Cubic Money!
1967 F-100 swb "Varmit"
1968 F-250 4dr lwb "Beast"
1976 F-350 drw 460
1977 Club Wagon
1986 F-250 lwb
Hemp8709

Post by Hemp8709 »

Dirty Offio wrote:
I have one of their smaller compressors, can't remember if it is a 5 or 7 gallon. It works fine, unless you want to run it on an extension cord, then it get's cranky. As long as it is plugged into the wall, it runs my impact, framing nailer, air ratchet, etc just fine. It doesn't have the capacity to run my air drills, or die grinder, but it isn't designed for it either.

My big compressor is a Husky, from Home Depot. I think I paid $27 cash for it! Place I used to work, we stayed in hotels ALOT. (company expense) We were all Diamond members of the Best Western club. You got points for each night you stayed, and 1 of the things you could redeem the points for was a $25 gift card to Home Depot. Saved up enough points, ordered the gift cards, and walked into HD and said load'er up. All I had to pay was the sales tax, it was pretty sweet!

Nice! :thup: :thup: :thup:
timmytim
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by timmytim »

I bought one of the orange sawzall and it broke first time I used it. But I did get a bearing race set thats good and just got a 10gal air comp. that has done well so far and a pheumatic brake bleeder works good also.
:fr:
buy'em dirty sale'em clean
get more money for the same
machine.....
:loco:

My 1967 bump: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 09#p668209

My 1970 Bump: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 16&t=50726
Donnie
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Donnie »

I guess I'm the odd man out here..I have never been to Harbor Freight, so I do not have an opinion...I heard that their tools are all off shore. Just never had the inclination to visit their store.....Nor do I shop at Wal Mart.
You see, I live in a small town with nice farming valley's around me...
I am not wealthy by any means, but I try to support the folks that have supported me for the last 30 years...Kinda just my code to live by...........Karma, works for me.....Donnie :2cents:
timmytim
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by timmytim »

You mean those same farming valleys that hire illegals to pick tomatoes? I know alot of Americans that would do those jobs even if the mainstream media say we won't . :2cents:
:fr:
buy'em dirty sale'em clean
get more money for the same
machine.....
:loco:

My 1967 bump: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 09#p668209

My 1970 Bump: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 16&t=50726
Donnie
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Donnie »

Timmy, my post probably came off as rather opinionated, which I probably am, But I sympathize with your opinion on farm labor. I would not work for anyone who hired illegals & don't know any.
All the farms around here are small family operated subsistance farms...
Folks with good hard work ethics, just trying to make it. A lot of the men held down a factory job to make ends meet, that is when there were jobs to be had..
You may want to read my post again with an open mind... :wink: ..
I started working at a Ford dealer in '62 & opened my own shop in 1980==closed in 2003, when I turned 62....I learned real fast to buy the best tools that I could, since I made my living with them.....I have no problem with the weekend warrior buying less expensive tool's for his hobby. NOT AT ALL :) Sorry that you misunderstood me
BTW, I still go in my shop almost every day & tinker with my hobby project's
I just closed the doors & still have all my machines & tools, Even my 1962 Snap-on box :fr:
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

lastr week i stopped in to harbour frieght and bought a ratchet srtap kit with 4 yellow 15 ft ratchet straps and about a dozen bugee cords for 14.99 and then i picked up a blue tarp for 3.99. less than 20.00 after tax and i was out of there and on the road in minutes.