no gauges or cluster lights

Electrical and Wiring Forum Archives
SportCustom

Post by SportCustom »

UPDATE:
I stuck the dash back in to test the IPVR and it is providing the pulsed power to the gauges. I can ground the gauges individually and they work. I still do not have lights on any dash items and the ground does not seem to be hooked up to the gauges. Is there a master ground for all of the instrument cluster? I did see the black ground wire attached to the column support and it is attached firmly. I will check the schematics again....
1970 F-100 Sport Custom
390 FE
CV/8.8 Swap
SportCustom

Post by SportCustom »

I tested the cluster ground that I found in the schematic and it is fine. It looks like the wire that supplies the power to the cluster is not recieving 12 volts from the fuse panel. I tested the fuse and it is fine but I still do not have 12 volts to the 2amp fuse on the panel. It sounds like the headlight switch may be the culprit for the lights as well as the printed board for the gauges.....any ideas.
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

its worth a try. only 10-20 bucks at autozone. Good luck. also double check the switch's connectors/wires for looseness. I have the running light wire come loose from time to time.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com
Jake11
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

re: no gauges or cluster lights

Post by Jake11 »

Look at the plastic printed circuit on the back of the cluster. The copper
circuits get "bald spots" sometimes. When you find one, it can be repaired
by using the repair kit for rear window defrosters on cars.