Discuss your workshop and related equipment

Moderator: FORDification

1971ford
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Penetrating Fluids

Post by 1971ford »

Oh..
Sorry its just im not familiar with this "rust" of which you speak. California and all lol
-Ryan
eggman918
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by eggman918 »

R.Smith wrote:Now, find a good recipe for cutting fluid and my quest will be complete.

I actually have some old machinists books circa 1900 that have several recipes for cutting fluid that can also be used as first aide for burns ect. I'd make those but I can't get my hands on any whale oil!
Cutting fluids....it depends on what type of material and type of tool.In my 30 years of machining I have used water all types of oils in various combination's off the shelf cutting/tapping fluids straight molybdenum ie: high end cam lube, even chlorinated brakekleen that was required to cut vacuum cast/formed molybdenum.For most low/med carbon steels high sulfur cutting oil is fine,aluminum likes WD-40 or kerosene,cast iron cuts well with water with enough soluble oil to keep it from rust.That is for milling,turning,sawing.Tapping is safest with one of the commercial tapping fluids.There are many variables the old books are invaluable '40s/'50s are most useful today :thup: The "machinery's hand book" is cool you dont need a new one any one printed after the early '60s will do.
if you need someone to bounce ideas off, I am at your service.It is GOOD to keep the old trades alive.We cant very well ship our Bumps to China for maintenance :lol:
Steve

The"Filthy Beast"- '68 F-250 Crew Cab 131"W/B 4x4 4BT compounds hx30/Wh1c,5x.012" sac injectors/ZF 5/NP203-205 /3.54 44 trutrack front/60 trutrack rear on 33's. 2nd owner

"Beauty is only skin deep....Ugly is to the bone"
It is more important to understand what you don't know than what you do know,because then you can start to learn..???
"you must deal with the attaboys and the ass chewing s with your head up and looking them in the eyes" T.J.E. aka My Dad
There are only three types of people wolves, sheepdogs, and sheep. What are you?
eggman918
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by eggman918 »

here is 1 more I thought of "go-jo original " is good for tapping cast iron,better than the commercial fluids
Steve

The"Filthy Beast"- '68 F-250 Crew Cab 131"W/B 4x4 4BT compounds hx30/Wh1c,5x.012" sac injectors/ZF 5/NP203-205 /3.54 44 trutrack front/60 trutrack rear on 33's. 2nd owner

"Beauty is only skin deep....Ugly is to the bone"
It is more important to understand what you don't know than what you do know,because then you can start to learn..???
"you must deal with the attaboys and the ass chewing s with your head up and looking them in the eyes" T.J.E. aka My Dad
There are only three types of people wolves, sheepdogs, and sheep. What are you?
jzjames
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by jzjames »

Acetone/ATF, 50/50 - Its one of the best tips I ever got. NOTHING ever worked for me, PB Blaster etc., but this does, thanks alot Bobbyford. :fr:

I grabbed what I had...Miracle Oil/Lacquer thinner 50/50. Oh yeah! :D
RTG_RACING
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by RTG_RACING »

Kroil is all I have ever used and love it.
fitzwell
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by fitzwell »

Kroil works wonders in the shop, but i still carrry a can of PB in the wrecking ward box...

Jury's still out on the ATF/Acetone. I had a baseplate soaking in it that refused to budge. Tyring to come up with some sort of an airtite container so the acetone doesn't evaporate so damn quickly
As a metter of fact, i AM trying to keep up with the Jones'
Driving like Parnelli, Drinkin' like George
-------------------------------------------------------
The Good Humor Man

Post by The Good Humor Man »

Alright what is Acetone? Where do you buy it?
Thanks
http://WWW.GoodHumorTrucks.Com
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

The Good Humor Man wrote:Alright what is Acetone? Where do you buy it?
Thanks

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acetone

Available at any hardware or home improvement store.
Madsen1970F100
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Madsen1970F100 »

I dimantled the entire 1970 F100 and nearly all of the 1971 donor using PB blaster for the rusted nuts. Would spray it on every night for 2-3 days prior to trying to break loose the nuts. Worked very well for me. And be assured there were plenty of rusted nuts!! :2cents:
Eric
Richmond, Virgina
1970 F100 project?
1971 F100 donor
webbee

Post by webbee »

A small spring bottom oiler is your friend when using the 50/50 ATF/Acetone mix. I mix about 1/2 oz of each into the can and have at it. The problem with acetone is it's flamable and evaporates very quickly. Best to mix as you need it.

http://www.dutton-lainson.com/products.php?cat=55 as an example of the oiler.
Andy Man

Post by Andy Man »

fitzwell wrote:
>snip<. Tyring to come up with some sort of an airtite container so the acetone doesn't evaporate so damn quickly
First thing that came to mind. was an oldschool charcoal lighter fluid squeeze can...maybe that'll work...
crazyhorse
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by crazyhorse »

Years ago an older gentleman that owned a junkyard,
said he used equal amounts of atf,brake fluid,kerosene.
It does word pretty good.
Whateverman
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Whateverman »

foghorn wrote:A little antiseiz works wonders on lug nuts i have used it on mine for years with excellent results. But i also have a good impact to tighten with its the highest tourque one that snap-on sells

:2cents: must stay pretty dry around there(or you've got some good hubcaps) - after breaking 2 lugs per wheel off during a ("simple" )tire rotation i will never use anti-sieze on lugs again ,after a winter here anti -sieze turns into a concrete mixture anywhere its been exposed to the elements and clogs the threads up worse than rust does

ATF works great as a penentrating fluid,but the best one i've found so far is Fluid Film ,its made of wool wax & it smells like ass ,but i've had pretty good results with it, i've even managed to free up a 3/4 drive ratchet i salvaged from the local marina with it ..plus it works pretty good as an undercoat
- still got my first first car 20+yrs later : 69 f100 sorta kinda pretending its a Mercury M100 w/a 70 f350 sport custom cab (factory buckets) 67 grille with 69 ranger cooneyes 68 merc box and hood,some supercool fiberglass fenders i scored way back when, 76 f150 disc brake frontend..currently running a 90 5.0HO 4bbl/c4 auto & 3.50 posi...originally a 360/c6 f100 Ranger with dealer added towpack (incl. kelsey hays trailer brake),boxside toolbox,behind the seat stowage & belly tank...only original parts left on 'er are the frame,rear end,rear springs,and rear bumper...
Donnie
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Donnie »

R.Smith wrote:Now, find a good recipe for cutting fluid and my quest will be complete.

I actually have some old machinists books circa 1900 that have several recipes for cutting fluid that can also be used as first aide for burns ect. I'd make those but I can't get my hands on any whale oil!
Smitty, got any friends in Japan?
Donnie
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Donnie »

Do you know anyone in Japan? they should be able to help you with whale oel.........Donnie