What size tires will fit?

Questions about 4WDs and related topics

Moderators: FORDification, Doug Comer

Tycho

Re: What size tires will fit?

Post by Tycho »

Tires. Zey do not fit!

Clearance on the back of the fronts is actually good

What the hell is going on here? Can someone please tell me how to trim the fenders to get them to fit?

As it stands they rub while turning and rub on the front of the fender at dead center. In the pictures they are
turned in slightly to even fit them on.

Going to just leave the fenders off for now since the truck isn't being used.
1972 2WD 351 Windsor F-100 - WIP
1971ford
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1971ford »

Those do look good though.
JUst grab a marker and start drawing out possible cut lines. Try to fit the original shape of the fenderwell lines, so they do't appear to be cut so much.
As for the front of the fender, I cut that hole bottom piece off the front, and removed the front lower valance. That way the fender bottom lines up with the grill and isn't there to be hit.
Then you will have to still do a little cutting to make the fenderwells bigger so they won't hit.
FOr the rear, I'm sure the clearance would be better if you had good springs in. But cut the lip off to give you an extra inch of space.

I can explain more and draw out lines after school
-Ryan
1971ford
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1971ford »

Either the red or the green line.
I'd do the Red line and toss the lower valance, so the fender lines up with the bottom of the grill. Then that would be a perfect time to do a prerunner bumper up front :D
Or do the green if you don't want to lose that lower piece.

What it looks like with fender piece cut off, and deletion of lower valance.
However those are my fiberglass fenders that have a different shape to them. Here are the stock fenders cut up
Wow, my truck looks lowered without the autofab coils up front haha!
-Ryan
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

1971ford wrote:Either the red or the green line.
Perfect! Thanks. Can I get away with just buying the autofab coils for now? It looks like without them (your truck) Id have rubbing issues.

Who did your front bumper? I want something similar. Looks nice :)

How much are the autofab fenders? I could just buy those for now, and not have rubbing issues at stock height, right?
1971ford
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1971ford »

I'd say there is just as much clearance with autofab glass as there is with the trimmed stock fenders in the picture i posted. I cut them out to about the same, and they were still a little close to hitting, so I'm not sure just fiberglass would work. And It would suck to get new fiberglass, hit it and crack it with lack of clearance. I'm not sure how much John is charging for the fiberglass fenders right now, i got mine for free. It's all about connections :wink:
You could go ahead and throw in coils to raise the front up like mine and you will definately have zero cleance problems. You'll need to talk to John at Autofab about what coils they now sell for these trucks. My autofab coils are off a class f100 prerunner, so they could be off the market now. But for reference, I'd say it lifted my front end on my f250 (with 429) a good 5 inches. I'd definately talk to him and see what he can do for you. Better yet, if you have the money, i would definately just go ahead and buy the econo-lift kits he has on his site. That would be a great way to get the front end done, bent beams and all!

As for my front bumper, with the help of a local guy off an offroad forum, we bent it up and welded it together at his shop for free. I made the skidplate at work (welding shop). I'm know there are some good offroad fabricators in AZ that can make a really clean bumper for you, either that or find someone with a bender that can do the job and make them yourself.
-Ryan
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

1971ford wrote:I'd say there is just as much clearance with autofab glass as there is with the trimmed stock fenders in the picture i posted. I cut them out to about the same, and they were still a little close to hitting, so I'm not sure just fiberglass would work.
Can I drive the truck on the street without any rubbing issues if I trim it like that? That's all I'm looking for right now until I can afford to do the suspension all at once.
1971ford
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1971ford »

I wish i knew what size tires those were in the picture, but i think they are the same as what you have now. There was no rubbing at all in the picture of my truck without the lift coils
Actually, we even offroaded it like that without any rubbing

While looking for the picture of us offroading on those tires with no liftage, i found this one too. These are 33's. no rubbing

So you should definitely be good to go with fender trimming.
-Ryan
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

1971ford wrote: So you should definitely be good to go with fender trimming.
Thanks. You should post all those great pics in the prerunner thread on your post so people can be inspired (like me)

What size are the coils on the F100 in the front? (width and height) Local fab shop makes some nice ones so I could pick them up instead
of calling autofab. I'm thinking if I can get 2" of lift in the front that would help level out the truck and clear the tires.
2 inches is the max lift I can do with the Ranchos I put in there I believe. Skyjacker makes a kit but it's $200 and apparently
they list it as only fitting 4x4s.

Also, if I just slap in coils, is anything going to be thrown out of whack? I understand the tires may wear faster but this isnt exactly a DD.
1971ford
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1971ford »

Tycho wrote:
1971ford wrote: So you should definitely be good to go with fender trimming.
Thanks. You should post all those great pics in the prerunner thread on your post so people can be inspired (like me)

What size are the coils on the F100 in the front? (width and height) Local fab shop makes some nice ones so I could pick them up instead
of calling autofab. I'm thinking if I can get 2" of lift in the front that would help level out the truck and clear the tires.
2 inches is the max lift I can do with the Ranchos I put in there I believe. Skyjacker makes a kit but it's $200 and apparently
they list it as only fitting 4x4s.

Also, if I just slap in coils, is anything going to be thrown out of whack? I understand the tires may wear faster but this isnt exactly a DD.
I think you mean f250 when you said f100, (my white/blue stripe offroader is a f250). I'm not sure what the measurements are on the coils. But here is a comparison shot i took before swapping them in.
They are alot thicker, and longer. The autofab coils (the thing that makes them special i suppose) is that the coils get closer together towards the top, so they are "progressive" i suppose.
You should be fine going to a local shop and picking up some lift coils for it. 2-4" sounds good.
Your camber/caster will be off, not as bad as mine though. It will wear your tires a little faster. Mine is a DD until my '69 f100 is running. I just through some old tires on.
Also your new Rancho's might not reach, however they might with a 2" lift. You might have to get the shock peg extenders like i have. They are pretty silly but I'll be getting my resevoirs mounted soon.
-Ryan
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

Thanks! Really need to know the stock coil length and diameter though. Fab shop can't do anything wihout it. Ranchos are zero to two fit so should be ok. Haven't been able to find the info I need.