impact at the junkyard

No tech discussion, please

Moderator: FORDification

fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

impact at the junkyard

Post by fordman »

i have a small air bubble. and i can hook my impact to it. how many quick one tiem hits can i get out of the impact if the small tank is full? do you think 1 or 2 maybe three? i've seen it done before. so i know it wil work. i just dont know how many bolts i can get out with a one time airing of the tank. i have a crank bolt to pull out 1 cab mount bolt and two core support botls that are loose but the ratchets will only take them off so far. i dont know how large in gallons the tank is. its abotu 30 inches long by about 12 across the round end.
1971ford
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: impact at the junkyard

Post by 1971ford »

2.5ft by 1ft?

I don't think it would be worth it. Hauling a air tank and impact around the junkyard just to knock maybe 15 bolts loose seems like it would be more work than muscling the bolts off with a breaker bar.

It really depends on how many gallons the tank is, how much psi you cram into it safely, how rusted the bolts are, etc.
-Ryan
mrsnicks
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by mrsnicks »

I'm looking at some of the new 18V cordless impact drivers. Anyone got any experience with these? I cannot afford Snap On quality so anyone have experience with lowes/sears brands?

Thanks,
Patrick
Chevrolet
Can Hear Every Valve Rattle on Long Extended Trips

1969 F100 4X4 Highboy 390 3sp
1969 F100 SWB 2wd Auto 351w
1972 F100 Ranger XLT 302 Auto

http://mrsnicks.blogspot.com
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?cat=10336
cheek
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by cheek »

I have a 18V Milwaukee Rattle gun and it is awesome! Fully charges in less then an hour and has HEAPS of power!
1970 Ford F100 351C FMX Daily
1972/3 Ford F100 Project
70_F100

Post by 70_F100 »

With a tank that small, you're not going to accomplish much.

It's only a little over 1 cubic foot of air, and even at 120 psi, it's not going to run an impact for more than a few seconds.

Most 1/2" air impact wrenches are going to use about 4 SCFM, which means that you would run out of air in about 15-20 seconds (depends on the delivery rate of the hose from the tank).
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools talk because they have to say something.--Plato
Why is it that there's seldom time to fix it right the first time, but there's always time to fix it right the second time???

That's not an oil leak :nono: That's SWEAT from all that HORSEPOWER!! :thup:
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

You could always do a test at your place before dragging it all out to the yard. I'm thinking half a lug nut...

The battery impacts are great. I have a 14v Lithium Hitachi for work and it good for about 30ftlbs but will take apart a complete truck on one battery. The 18v stuff is great as long as it's not Craftsman junk.

Jamie
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
oil_dripper

Post by oil_dripper »

Yeah I agree about it beign toooo small, the tank is toooo much trouble gettin it thru the junkyard only to find out its not gonna do the job, why dont you try your tank on some lugnuts on your truck and see how many you can take off with a full tank(Im thinking maybe 2-3) If you were here in so.cal I would lend you my 18V Milwaukee impact ... I went to the junkyard yesterday and saw 9 68-74 f100's all rust free and nice... theres alot out here in good shape going to the crusher(sad) My impact was a great investment and use it everytime I go to the junkyard.
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

well i have seen this done before. and it did take it out there. but the crank bolt was way too tight for the amount of air in the tank. it worked fine removing the alternator pulley nut. but it just wouldnt give the crank bolt enough to do the job for me. i am pretty sure it will do the rest of the work i need done out there though. but i dont know how many bolts i will be able to remove with it. i think i can get the last three botls out that i need out with it. as loose as i have got them now. the junkyard finally brought the tire truck over and let me use the compressor in it to get the crank bolt out. i'm prett sure i could have removed a wheel with the amount of air i had in the tank. the tank is a 9 gallons tank.
cdeal28078
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by cdeal28078 »

There are other ways to get the crank bolt out. If a wrench will fit it take one if not then take a breaker bar/extension and socket. Take about a 4lb shop hammer and hit the breaker bar or wrench in the right direction. Works every time.
I would bet even money an impact and air tank would not get one tight lug nut off.
I have a friend who loves hitting junk yards while he is on the road and collecting sport bumper brackets to sell on Ebay. He uses an 18v. impact to take them off. I'm not talking about the 1/4" drive screw gun impact but the 1/2" type impact. He has good results with it. I would try one of those if normal hand tools won't get the job done for you
clint
71 F100 SportCustom
460 C6. Disc Brake/Power-steering/automatic Swap. 3.00
1986 Bronco 5.0 AOD
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

the engine was turning to easy for me to do that. i usually do similar stuff to get bolts out. but i didnt have any rope and couldnt get under the truck to stop the engine from turning over.
papabug71
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by papabug71 »

I have a Dewalt 18v impact. It works like butta. :thup:

My I/R impact uses a pantload of air. My 30 gal compressor has a hard time keeping up if i'm using it often for extended periods of time.
Matt
1971 F-100 Sport Custom - My grandpaws truck
Been in the family since 10/3/'71 (Brand spankin' new)
Mine since 5/7/'94
302 / 3 speed / 3:25's
--Currently undergoing full frame off resto/mod--
f100fordtruck

Post by f100fordtruck »

talking about the cordless impact wrenches, we use em at the race track and they work fine.
I'll get it one piece at a time and it wont cost me a dime...