Hydraulic hose

No tech discussion, please

Moderator: FORDification

fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Hydraulic hose

Post by fordman »

you dont need hydralic hose to make patches in the transmission lines. use fuel hose. not vacuum hose. hydralic hose is for high pressure systems.
OldRedFord
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by OldRedFord »

I thought I saw a post where Keith said not to use fuel hose.
Tim

1972 F350 flatbed drw c6/390
1967 F600 project truck
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

The local parts stores have steel lines with threaded ends already on the tube. They bend pretty easily. I believe they come in 60+ inch. Not expensive. I have a pair on my 63 that have been on there for years.
OldRedFord
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by OldRedFord »

BobbyFord wrote:The local parts stores have steel lines with threaded ends already on the tube. They bend pretty easily. I believe they come in 60+ inch. Not expensive. I have a pair on my 63 that have been on there for years.
You mean brake lines?
Tim

1967 F600 project truck
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

OldRedFord wrote:
BobbyFord wrote:The local parts stores have steel lines with threaded ends already on the tube. They bend pretty easily. I believe they come in 60+ inch. Not expensive. I have a pair on my 63 that have been on there for years.
You mean brake lines?
No steel lines just like the factory ones. The only difference is they have male ends on both ends so you'd just have to change the fittings on your radiator trans cooler.
mrsnicks
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by mrsnicks »

They acutally make transmission cooling lines. Rubber type. I bought some from Advance Auto to put a tranny cooler on my truck and it was nowhere near $6.00 a foot. Specifically called transmission hose or some variation of that.

Patrick
Chevrolet
Can Hear Every Valve Rattle on Long Extended Trips

1969 F100 4X4 Highboy 390 3sp
1969 F100 SWB 2wd Auto 351w
1972 F100 Ranger XLT 302 Auto

http://mrsnicks.blogspot.com
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?cat=10336
fitzwell
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by fitzwell »

trans cooler line,AKA hydraulic return line, available at your local Napa. H1935 or H1936 IIRC.

Do NOT use rubber fuel line.
As a metter of fact, i AM trying to keep up with the Jones'
Driving like Parnelli, Drinkin' like George
-------------------------------------------------------
averagef250
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by averagef250 »

It's PS return or cooler line hose. I stock it on the shelf in my shop, Goodyear brand (gates is junk anymore), 50' spools are around $15 from a local jobber parts house.

Locally, NAPA should go to prison for rape. Thier markup % is INSANE on so many things. I needed some 4/0 solder on battery ends awhile back. $35 a piece jobber from Napa. So I went to the electrical supply house that sells them to Napa. My off the street everyday Joe price was $35 for 40 of them, 20 positives and 20 negatives. What's that like a 4000% markup? They lost my business.
1970 F-250 4x4 original Willock swivel frame chassis '93 5.9 Cummins/Getrag/NP205/HP60/D70
hazelnut
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by hazelnut »

averagef250 wrote:It's PS return or cooler line hose. I stock it on the shelf in my shop, Goodyear brand (gates is junk anymore), 50' spools are around $15 from a local jobber parts house.

Locally, NAPA should go to prison for rape. Thier markup % is INSANE on so many things. I needed some 4/0 solder on battery ends awhile back. $35 a piece jobber from Napa. So I went to the electrical supply house that sells them to Napa. My off the street everyday Joe price was $35 for 40 of them, 20 positives and 20 negatives. What's that like a 4000% markup? They lost my business.

a NAPA salesman will be coming by your shop now to buddy up with you and wanting to take you out to lunch and offer you a larger discount to get your shop to buy from them again.
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

averagef250 wrote:It's PS return or cooler line hose. I stock it on the shelf in my shop, Goodyear brand (gates is junk anymore), 50' spools are around $15 from a local jobber parts house.

I've noticed that my price at CarQuest varies depending on who is ringing me up. The guy that has worked there the longest gives me the best prices even though I no longer work at a shop. I won't deal with the new guys at all.
Redcap
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Redcap »

$6/ft?! Did they buy you dinner, give you a kiss or at least spit in their hand first? That is outrageous.
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

You can buy 3/8" stainless steel hard line for $6/ft.
fastEdsel
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by fastEdsel »

If you know what your ends are, if they are compression or flared, just go to a farm implement dealership, tell them what you need, they will make it up for you while you wait, and usually they will give a discount. Ask for 3/8" single braid hydraulic line and they will crimp the exact ends on the hose for you. I've bought lots of lines like this, with the ends installed for under $1.20 a foot. It's the crimped ends that are the real cost, that is if you are taking the lines right back to the transmission, you should put a 90 degree elbow to attach to the housing with straight ends to connect either to the cooler or radiatior. The steel braid lines are also very acceptable and they look nice too. JMHO
OldRedFord
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by OldRedFord »

Redcap wrote:$6/ft?! Did they buy you dinner, give you a kiss or at least spit in their hand first? That is outrageous.

Didnt buy it, was just shopping around.

P/s return hose at Autozone is either 3.89 a foot.
Tim

1967 F600 project truck