Parts store rant.

No tech discussion, please

Moderator: FORDification

OldRedFord
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Parts store rant.

Post by OldRedFord »

Yesterday I went to one of the local parts stores to get...

A ignition coil, a transmission pan gasket and filter, and a air filter.

The air cleaner is from a 1970 F100 with a 302, the C6 is from a 1976 Lincoln, same with the motor its self. The distributor is a points type that would have originally been a 1972 Torino with a 429.

So its easy to confuse the parts people. To save confusion I go online and get my parts numbers and write them down. Walk in and tell the parts counter person that I need these parts numbers. But this time the girl there insisted on what vehicle.

Tried explaining the situation, but no. Somehow none of the parts were in stock and the part number for the coil (2-5029 on O'reilly's website) was no good.

She said that they had a $30 coil, and that the other store in town had the other stuff. Told me to hold on and she would print me a quote ticket. I look at the ticket and everything is or a 1975 F100. :?

The coil for a 75 F100 would be for a duraspark ignition system, which I do not have right now.
Tim

1972 F350 flatbed drw c6/390
1967 F600 project truck
Ranchero50

Re: Parts store rant.

Post by Ranchero50 »

Remember, these folks don't make enough money to care, especially when folks who know it all actually don't... If you say things slow and keep repeating them they usually get the idea.

Jamie
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

Yup. I always bring in my own part numbers. Those people behind the counter are confused before they even get to work.
robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by robroy »

Good morning Tim!

While have to agree with Jamie and Bobby on this, I can completely relate to your experience and have left many an auto parts with a similar impression.

Although I've known a few auto parts counter guys who were genuinely interested, paying attention, experienced, and friendly, they seem to be in the minority--especially at the auto parts chains.

It must be because people who have great attitudes and some experience nearly always graduate to positions of greater responsibility that pay more.

I've often wondered how successful an auto parts could be if they'd take care to hire experienced guys for the counter, and pay them appropriately. That cost would have to be passed on with a premium on the parts, yet if the premium were relatively small, wouldn't you attend such an auto parts despite that? Especially for hard-to-find, unusual parts? What if they were unusually friendly, remembered your name, and had a genuine interest in what you were working on?

Could it be that the free, wide availability of automotive information (on the Web) has decreased the need for experienced auto parts counter guys?

Like Bobby and yourself, I make a habit of carrying along the part numbers when I can. Web sites like NAPA's reveal the comical simplicity of the parts catalog as they walk you through the same deduction steps that we're used to hearing over the counter: what's the year; what's the make; is it two wheel drive or four; what's the engine size.

I hope y'all have an excellent weekend!!!
Robroy
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

being it is a girl. i would have said it is for three different cars or trucks. and then they would have got the right answer for you.thelling them that kind of stuff does work.
Eric L

Post by Eric L »

fordman wrote:being it is a girl. i would have said it is for three different cars or trucks. and then they would have got the right answer for you.thelling them that kind of stuff does work.
My local NAPA is great and their best counterperson is a woman. It took a couple years but now she expects me to come in with weird setups. Shes actually surprised if the part I want is actually "for" the rig I'm working on.
KI6TMM

urjb.com

'72 F-100 short step
'70 F-100 4x4
'67 F-350 crewcab
'72 CJ-5
'51 CJ-3a
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

Yeah these new kids are tought to look everything up for application specific needs. I.E. they have to insist on what car and year and engine and trans. They are just like the people in fast food who are lost without the computer displaying the correct change.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com
70_F100

Post by 70_F100 »

rjewkes wrote:Yeah these new kids are tought to look everything up for application specific needs. I.E. they have to insist on what car and year and engine and trans. They are just like the people in fast food who are lost without the computer displaying the correct change.
:yt: :lol: :lol:

Go through the drive-thru at McDonalds.

Your bill comes to $4.78.

You hand them a $5 bill, and they punch that amount into the cash register. :D

"OOPS, let me give you three pennies" (so you get a quarter back and not all of that loose change) :evil:

Sit there for 5 minutes while they try to figure out your change. :pop: (It may even take 2 or 3 of them to figure it out) :dk:

If you tell them to just give you a quarter, they look at you like you're trying to rip them off... :doh:
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools talk because they have to say something.--Plato
Why is it that there's seldom time to fix it right the first time, but there's always time to fix it right the second time???

That's not an oil leak :nono: That's SWEAT from all that HORSEPOWER!! :thup:
kyle ray

Post by kyle ray »

fordman wrote:being it is a girl. i would have said it is for three different cars or trucks. and then they would have got the right answer for you.thelling them that kind of stuff does work.

:yt: thats a good idea. tell them its for the specific car witch the motor and trans came out of. i know it sucks but we might have to out smart them. The only parts store around that had personal who knew what they were doing and cared, just closed so now all i have is the chain stores. :(
fitzwell
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by fitzwell »

robroy wrote:Good morning Tim!

It must be because people who have great attitudes and some experience nearly always graduate to positions of greater responsibility that pay more.

I've often wondered how successful an auto parts could be if they'd take care to hire experienced guys for the counter, and pay them appropriately. That cost would have to be passed on with a premium on the parts, yet if the premium were relatively small, wouldn't you attend such an auto parts despite that? Especially for hard-to-find, unusual parts? What if they were unusually friendly, remembered your name, and had a genuine interest in what you were working on?

Could it be that the free, wide availability of automotive information (on the Web) has decreased the need for experienced auto parts counter guys?

Robroy
Not a bad idea, but in todays walmart minded economy, it just ain't gonna happen. I finally got out of the retail parts business a number of years ago, because i couldn't find anybody that knew what they were doing, for the amount of money corporate wanted to pay. The whole computer/internet thng is a double edged sword here. Most of the "counter" perple you find now have no experience with the catalog system, and i will argue to the death with anyone that says you can find it all on a computer catalog. Like one of my good friends says... "All the answers AINT on the web". As far as a "premium" for parts, some folks don't have a problem with that, most do. Once again, teh wally world philosophy rears it's ugly head.

I have an oreilly, a pep boys , and a auto zone within 5 min of the shop. If i hit something i need in a hurry, oreilly gets the call, simply most of the crew there knows me & will let me look up my own parts. Saves both them and me time & aggravation. Thankfully, i have the luxury of planning out any of the jobs that come in & time is not a huge factor. Which is why i still drive to the Napa i used to run & get parts there.

I have a store lined out, in my head, that would be a killer. I know enough of the olds parts dogs around here to staff it, guys that actually give a damn, and will crack a catalog at a moments notice to find something. Unfortunatly, it'll take winning the lottery to do it :eek:
As a metter of fact, i AM trying to keep up with the Jones'
Driving like Parnelli, Drinkin' like George
-------------------------------------------------------
robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by robroy »

Good day Fitzwell!

It's very interesting to hear your thoughts, since you have experience in that business! Thanks for taking the time to type that out.

Robroy
mudwip

Post by mudwip »

BobbyFord wrote:Yup. I always bring in my own part numbers. Those people behind the counter are confused before they even get to work.
This is soo true. I went in to get a return spring for my carb. They had to know what year the truck was and so on and so on... :hw: :hw:
Life is like a fan sucks out of one end blows out of the other... Author My Dad
Randy
1971 F100 460,C-6,4WD
TheMadScientist

Post by TheMadScientist »

I had my girlfriend call autozone once to get a price on a vavle cover gasket . The guy autozone told her that if the engine was leaking bad enough to need a new gasket that she was in need of a new engine and that he could sell her a reman. Man did that piss me off! wish she would of got his name. Then you go down to O'reilly's (used to be checker auto) and there is a big sign in the window "ASE certified parts professionals" What a joke! Most of these idiots only know is what the computer tells them.
2006 F-350 Crew Cab Lariat 4X4 6.0l Diesel Tow Rig
2005 Excursion Limited 4X4 6.0l Tow Rig
1977 F-350 Crew Cab SWB (4x4 soon)
1972 F-350 Crew Cab 4x4 SWB Cummins 12V, NV4500, NP205, HP60,D70B, on 35's
1966 F-250 Crew Cab (4x4 soon)
1965 F-100 SWB 351C 4v
1956 F-100 2wd SWB 429
1972 Bronco Explorer Sport
1969 Mustang Fastback (tubbed and caged, soon to get a 429)
1967 Mustang Fastback 427W, C6
1965 Mustang Fastback 347 FI HO, T5
fitzwell
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by fitzwell »

TheMadScientist wrote:I had my girlfriend call autozone once to get a price on a vavle cover gasket . The guy autozone told her that if the engine was leaking bad enough to need a new gasket that she was in need of a new engine and that he could sell her a reman. Man did that piss me off! wish she would of got his name. Then you go down to O'reilly's (used to be checker auto) and there is a big sign in the window "ASE certified parts professionals" What a joke! Most of these idiots only know is what the computer tells them.
ASE is a nice skin to hang on the wall & most of the chain operations want their counter people to get that patch. Unfortunatly, the system is flawed... First some people simply don't test well. Period. I had an assistant that would take the "pre-test" course, study his ass off... and still not make it. To make it worse, Napa would pay for the test.. if you passed. If not you were on your own. After taking the test a number of times, on what a parts guy makes, that can get a bit, discouraging. Had a gal on the crew that was a pain in the ass, would site chapter & verse of the employee regs, when it suited her, but if you busted her for not performing, showing up late, etc, she'd go whining to HR. She passed. And was as dumb as a post.
Second, a good friend of mine tried to take the test in his field of expertise, and walked out about halfway thru the test. Told me later that about 1/4 of the test did not have a "correct" answer. He contacted the ASE board with this information & they were not the least interested. This guy has probably forgotten more than the ASE staff knows about his field. FWIW, i had a number of "certifications" outside of the "parts professional" category. Didn't do me a damn bit of good at $$$ time, but it was nice to know i could pass a test of some sort. :lol:
As a metter of fact, i AM trying to keep up with the Jones'
Driving like Parnelli, Drinkin' like George
-------------------------------------------------------
SoCalExile
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by SoCalExile »

This is why I go to the small non-chain parts store in Fayetteville with nothing but gray-haired ex-mechanics behind the counter. They still look up stuff in parts books instead of computers.

More than once I've gone there looking for a solution and they've helped me out.