digital tv converter boxes

No tech discussion, please

Moderator: FORDification

fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

digital tv converter boxes

Post by fordman »

i picked up a converter box finally for my tv. it is a rca atsc box. i dotn have the model number with me. but it has a in and out for a regular cable tv threaded cable. that is suppose to be for the antenna in and then out to tv. well i got nothing. i used the cable tv lines as the antenna. it used to work doing that. anyway it also has a port on the back that is called msart antenna. the plug looks similar to a rj25 network cable. i have been looking most of the nihgt on the internet and on ebay tryign to find this cable or a antenna that will hook to it. and i think i must be looking or searching wrong. can anyone help me or tell me to do soemthing different. do i just need a good antenna that will screw onto the back of this box or do i need a smart antenna and the correct cable to make this thing work. i cant stand being without a tv.
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: digital tv converter boxes

Post by rjewkes »

Allof the antenna's now avaulable in electronics stores and walmart should be smart antenna, but i did have a normal bunny ear set up made long before the HD conversion idea. and with my newer tv's built in converter it worked fine until something chewed through the wiring. i then replaced it with one of the new smart bunny ears and they work but i can't get fox or nbc from inside the trailer.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com
NM5K
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by NM5K »

Probably just need a better antenna. Using a coax run is not going to work too well. Digital TV can be a
bit picky. I just picked up a HDTV tuner for my puter the other day. Even being in Houston, I have to
diddle with the rabbit ears a bit on some stations to avoid drop outs, etc..
If you are out in the sticks, it's possible you may need both a good antenna, and possibly an antenna
preamp also.
1968 F-250 / 300 six / T-18
Dana 60 - 4.10 Limited Slip
socalcraigster

Post by socalcraigster »

Is this going in a truck?
1967 Flareside Shortbed Crew
1969 390 Ranger Long Bed

knightfire83
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by knightfire83 »

It wont work with your cable TV wire unless there's an antenna on the other end of it.

Lots of resources on the internet here's a sample:

http://www.tvantennaplans.com/

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp& ... 2132b81d56

http://broadcastengineering.com/hdtv/smart_antennas/

http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/Address.aspx
1974 Ford F-100 4x4- 360 / manual.
1970 Ford F250 4x4 ~ Sold.
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

thanks everyone. i found out that the smart antenna is a antenna array basically. and that it really isnt a ver ygood antenna. so i will put up the old one i have and hook the cable line to it. otherwise i am still not getting anything even when i by pass the vcr dvd and the dvd switchbox. or if my vcr or dvd player go out all i have to do is buy a brand new dvd player with channel switching capabilites and it will work with my old antenna. i kind of find ithard to believe the cable worked as a antenna before but wont do it now. stupid laws. only made to sell more junk you didnt want or need.
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

yes. i got my box for 2.49 plus tax. last week. i have decided to make my own antenna. from the youtube link above. i hope it works. i have a old dish network dish that i am going to try and use to make the antenna out of. i think it will work out pretty good form the plans i have in my head.
ezernut9mm
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by ezernut9mm »

craig, i am using one of those bid truck style "flying v" antennas for my basement tv. works pretty good.
wanting to buy a mercury tailgate!
"the man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it".- woodrow wilson

ImageImageImage
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

your right in the city though. i am about 50 miles away from the stations. i hope my home made deal makes it work. i do have a old pole type antenna at the rental house i may rob and have to use. if it is still any good.